The Cookbook Game #6

This forum does have quite a few guests visiting it every day.

Its worth knowing that a large majority of 'guests' are in fact spammers. We are able to see this from looking at their IP addresses which are in many cases listed as spam sources. Once they try to register they will be blocked.

As I mentioned previously, we have had a drop in members playing.

4 said they would play
4 cookbooks used
4 recipes made
4 completed the game

Let's hope we have a better turnout for the next game. OK? 😉

Last edited:
Well, finally.

casserole detail-.jpg

Potato, mushroom & onion casserole.

From The City Tavern Cookbook: Recipes from the Birthplace of American Cuisine, by Walter Staib.

Edited to enter in my review: I made a half-recipe.

(ED FEEDBACK: I used avocado oil instead of "vegetable oil", which I have not purchased in at least 30 years. Assuming I ever did. There is no confounding taste to either oil. Used pre-ground white pepper instead of freshly-ground - as that is what I have.

The onion took longer to start browning - about 8 minutes. This did not surprise me. A truly great Maillard reaction for onions mushrooms will take even longer. I kept them at "slightly golden". Mushrooms were spot-on.

I'm never sure how one measures a "bunch" of anything. I used my own home-grown parsley, and simply went by "feel" on it. Which I think is entirely appropriate.

Final cooking time once one added the cream and parm was about 15 - 17 minutes. Ovens do vary in temperature.

While I think this was a very good recipe, it does tend to confirm my Yukon gold bias. I think I'd love this recipe were I to use just about any "gold" potato. I would also not skin my potatoes, although I know there was a period in time where everyone apparently skinned any potato they cooked. Most of the nutrients are in the skin -- and frankly, they really don't taste bad, and they add texture. (Yes, I did use the red-skinned potatoes with skins removed. The chickens got a treat!)

The seasonings, mushrooms and onions were excellent with this!

I would also like to brown the top of the casserole, by putting my oven on "broil" for a couple of minutes at the end.

Overall, I do appreciate this cookbook, and will cook more things from it in the future.

Last edited:
MC, thanks for posting the picture and the cookbook title. The review of the recipe and book also belongs on the game.

Well, finally.

View attachment 34056

Potato, mushroom & onion casserole.

From The City Tavern Cookbook: Recipes from the Birthplace of American Cuisine, by Walter Staib.
A recipe from The City Tavern Cookbook: Recipes from the Birthplace of American Cuisine, by Walter Staib. This one is on page 218. Part of the CookingBites Cookbook Challenge, #6.

Herein, the recipe's author combines cookery ideas from both Mary Randolph (The Virginia Housewife, ) and Martha Washington's related recipe ("To Dress a Dish of Mushrumps"). Yes, that Washington. She likely didn't invent the recipe (OR cook it), but it would be served in her household.

Back
Top Bottom