The Cookery Book Game #8

Right, I've managed to cook a new recipe from my soups for all seasons cookery book by Nava Atlas. It is a much loved and much used soups book, but we've never ever cooked from the summer season section because it features cold soups mostly using fruits or buttermilk and or items I can't source. But I did find a recipe or two that I can make and now we live somewhere hot (at least during the summer months that is) hot food just isn't working and we often end up not eating or simply having a cold open sandwich. So I decided it was time to shake things up and take us out of our comfort zone and try a cold soup for a change.

I'll write it up either today or Monday if I get there chance but here is the finished product.

And very nice it was too. The sweetcorn sauce was a surprise. And a pleasant one at that. It does really need to be velvety smooth though which luckily on trialling it during making I picked up on and rectified immediately.

Edit: the link. Recipe - Fresh, Cold Tomato Soup with Sweetcorn Sauce

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of cold soups, but that does look delicious.

I'm not a fan of cold soups, but that does look delicious.
Thank you. I've never eaten or made any previously, so this was to get me out of my comfort zone but also to try to deal with the upcoming problem of a week of 35-40°C temperatures that are heading our way this coming week. Not to mention use up the 1kg of ripe tomatoes on the kitchen bench :whistling:

Cool. I have it now. I think this holiday season is the problem. So much going on!

Wasn't sure which recipe section was best to house it in, so since it includes a good amount of farro, I put it with grains and so forth.

Savoy Cabbage Rolls and Fontina (and Farro).

cabbage fontina served.jpg

This is REALLY good. Maybe a bit too rich but hey, I love Fontina, and respect farro.

They had me rub down the baking pan with more oil than necessary (i did use less). I started shredding some Fontina instead of cutting it into cubes, but that was not an issue. (Reading-retention???) The sauce for the rolls is awesome and needs to go on other things too - I can see putting it over roasted or steamed asparagus, along with a little ground pepper. The sage and rosemary go with this. The author didn't say to chop up the fresh sage or rosemary, but I did anyway. Maybe he assumes? Maybe he's right to assume?

Since the leaves on my savoy cabbage were hard to unravel (it was the largest of a small bunch at the store), I may try Napa next time? Or wait for larger savoys? I did measure the amount of filling I put in each leaf, and did have leftover filling, enough for two more leaves. (I am glad when authors provide for more filling than they do for what you are stuffing into).

A success.

A big thankyou to those who participated this time round. Its great to hear the analytic comments about recipes - something we should perhaps encourage more? I really loved the cabbage rolls posted by Mountain Cat Autentico: Cooking Italian, the Authentic Way - by Rolando Beramendi. There were also some lovely soups from TastyReuben & SatNavSaysStraightOn.

I'm not sure we are getting enough entries to the game to continue it in its present form - but we can take a rest from the game over Christmas and then take stock in the New Year.

I'm not sure we are getting enough entries to the game to continue it in its present form - but we can take a rest from the game over Christmas and then take stock in the New Year.
It might just be the holidays and all that. Also, and I'm not specifically suggesting this, just thinking out loud, maybe it's a case of too many challenges/games going on at once, I don't know. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I like this game, though, because it got me to make two recipes out of a book I'd had since 1996 and had never used before. :)

I do appreciate this game, because it makes me remember my pile of cook books. I'd like to continue it - but AFTER the new year. I have a bunch of things I am doing for this season and am not adding anything new into my mix until after the turn of the year. Other than what I've already planned for. (My beetroot recipe recently posted today was created a while ago.) My personal challenges, set a while before this month, are things for The Feast of the Seven Fishes, and for Hogmanay, the Scottish New Years celebration. And, surprisingly enough, a dessert or two. Considering I'm savory not sweet. No space to add more atm... But that's... atm.

I'd love to get Game 9 going again, starting next week. Right now, I love the leeway this game gives me. Perhaps just simply limit to cookbooks one wants to use - although adding a theme or an author initial also works here (maybe because I have a lot of cookbooks, which others may not have so many of... ) So perhaps a 3 week time limit (or the month?) pick the book, and cook... I can decide my own theme, but if it has to come from a book you own (or dredge out of the library if one doesn't own many cookbooks) - all to the good, and all that would be sufficient.

Last edited:
I'd love to get Game 9 going again, starting next week. Right now, I love the leeway this game gives me. Perhaps just simply limit to cookbooks one wants to use - although adding a theme or an author initial also works here (maybe because I have a lot of cookbooks, which others may not have so many of... ) So perhaps a 3 week time limit (or the month?) pick the book, and cook... I can decide my own theme, but if it has to come from a book you own (or dredge out of the library if one doesn't own many cookbooks) - all to the good, and all that would be sufficient.

Hey thanks. I'm not sure how many members want it to return but we could make it 4 weeks as you say and add a theme. My problem is that I don't ever follow recipes - to me my cookery books are a resource to plunder for ideas for my own creations! But if it runs I will certainly join in. I received a new book for Christmas so it would be good to use something from that.

How about this for a theme? 'First or Last' - which can mean the first cookery book you ever acquired (and still have) or the last one you acquired (a Christmas gift for example). It can also mean the first book on your book shelves or the last book.

How about this for a theme? 'First or Last' - which can mean the first cookery book you ever acquired (and still have) or the last one you acquired (a Christmas gift for example). It can also mean the first book on your book shelves or the last book.

I like it! :)

Back
Top Bottom