The CookingBites Cookalong: Gumbo

:roflmao:
Depends on your definition of "healthy". Lots of fatty meat involved. Lots of flavor. I will probably poop green for the next two or three days.
:yuck:
I am not sure that it even qualifies as gumbo.
SOOO out of my gumbo box.

It's good to climb out of your box, from time-to-time.

CD

I'm now officially a convert - gumbo is a complete revelation. For years I'd just thought it was a stew with okra. I had no idea of the magic that happens with the brown roux plus the trinity of celery, green pepper, onion - and bay leaves. It tastes quite unique and unlike anything I've ever come across - a sort of musky, bosky aromatic taste. It absolutely delightful. If any members haven't tried it then I urge you to do so.

I made a seafood gumbo - and I'll attempt to post the recipe later (I winged it rather so didn't write out precise measurements).

I'm now officially a convert - gumbo is a complete revelation. For years I'd just thought it was a stew with okra. I had no idea of the magic that happens with the brown roux plus the trinity of celery, green pepper, onion - and bay leaves. It tastes quite unique and unlike anything I've ever come across - a sort of musky, bosky aromatic taste. It absolutely delightful. If any members haven't tried it then I urge you to do so.

Good description. It is very "earthy." Glad you liked it.

CD

I made a seafood gumbo - and I'll attempt to post the recipe later (I winged it rather so didn't write out precise measurements).

View attachment 34627
That looks magnificent!

I have gathered all of my ingredients except fresh pork sausage for Gumbo Z'Herbes. I am looking at all of these greens and think I must have lost m mind. :hyper:

Gotta go. Need fresh pork sausage.

I'm thinking of making a green gumbo too. Found this snippet:

The tradition for gumbo z’herbes is to include many different kinds of greens in the gumbo—and to always include an odd number. Why? Apparently for every different green you add, you will find a new friend in the coming year.

Why and odd number? Not really sure, although I bet it has to do with old West African or French folklore. Gumbo zav, which is how its pronounced in Louisiana, appears to be related to the French potage aux herbes, or the West Indian callaloo, which in turn has its origins in West African cooking.
Green Gumbo Recipe, Gumbo Z'herbes | SimplyRecipes.com

I had to put everything on hold. G came home with a deer and 1/2 wild pig. We spent most of the day Sunday and all day yesterday de-boning and prepping venison for sausage and ground meat, grinding both venison and pork, seasoning, stuffing in sausage casing and packaging ground meat. Also packaged two tenderloins and 10 steaks cut from one of the hind quarters. Then hours of clean up. Then I had a meeting this morning. Exhausted. I really need a nap but think I will push on and get back to work on my Gumbo Z'Herbes.

I am using collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, kale and spinach. Smoked sausage, Andouille, fresh pork sausage, ham and tasso. dark roux, chicken broth and the liquid from cooking the greens. Of course a dark roux, the Holy Trinity, green onions and File.

morning glory

Your seafood gumbo looks beautiful. Love the color. I am looking forward to your recipe.
Cajun and Creole cooking frequently revolves around the Catholic Church calendar. Many Cajun and Creole dishes have legends, traditions and stories attached to them.

According to Leah Chase, the Queen of Creole Cuisine and the legendary chef/owner to the Dooky Chase restaurant in NOLA, the more greens the better. Each green represents a new friend in the following year - hopefully one is rich. Leah used 7 to 9 greens in her gumbo. The odd number is for good luck. An even number would result in bad luck.

Leah made Gumbo Z'Herbes only on Holy Thursday to fill her guest with a hearty meal in preparation for fasting Good Friday and Holy Saturday. She would make 100+ gallons and feed 1,500 + guest.

Leah Chase died June 2, 2019. She was 96 years old. I have never had the privileged of eating at her restaurant. I do intend to correct that. I have never eaten Gumbo Z'Herbes and of course have never made it. I decided to try it as an homage to Leah Chase.

In addition to being the Queen of Creole Cuisine she and her restaurant played an important role in the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960's. Both Blacks and Whites met and dined in her restaurant defying both tradition and the law. She fed Freedom Riders, politicians, musicians, artist. Having worked as a waitress in a "White Only" restaurant in the French Quarter, she dreamed of a fine dining restaurant where Blacks could gather and eat fine food. She achieved her dream and more.

About the Chef - Dooky Chase's Restaurant

Leah Chase's Gumbo Z'herbes | Louisiana Kitchen & Culture

morning glory

I am so happy that you are a Gumbo Convert. In South Louisiana cooking and eating a good gumbo is almost a religious experience. Both girls and boys learn to make gumbo hanging on to Mama'a skirt or Papa's shirttail. Recipes are generations old. Cajun or Creole, Chicken and Sausage, Duck and Andouille, Seafood and even green gumbo is the heart and soul of south Louisiana.

FIRST YOU MAKE A ROUX

Last edited:
20 lb nutria, man that's big, glad we don't have them here.

Not native to the U.S. Brought in to raise for fur. They got out of control. Very destructive creatures.

We have many species of plants, warm blooded creatures, fish and insects that are not indigenous. Some were introduced intentionally others arrived accidentally on cargo ships. All are detrimental. Some even dangerous.

Last edited:
More crazy delays. Finally have a pot of Gumbo Z'Herbes on the range top. Simmering gently.

morning glory

Thank you for this cook a long.

IDK about the rest of you but there are many dishes that I prepare with little thought to weights and measures. Add some of this and some of that. This challenge has forced me to really pay attention. Surprise - the process has awakened my taste buds to the subtle changes in the flavor and texture as I add ingredients. I taste more frequently and really appreciate the development of the flavor with the addition of each ingredient. I keep in mind those of you who have never tasted Gumbo. I keep thinking "How can I describe the subtly of each ingredient?" It is like trying to describe a color to a person who has been blind from birth. There is no point of reference.

My kitchen smells divine. The color of the gumbo is kind of freaking me out. :hyper: The flavor is there. Still have ingredients to add.

Not native to the U.S. Brought in to raise for fur. They got out of control. Very destructive creatures.

We have many species of plants, warm blooded creatures, fish and insects that are not indigenous. Some were introduced intentionally others arrived accidentally on cargo ships. All are detrimental. Some even dangerous.

We have the same here, ozzy have the cane toad!!

Russ

Back
Top Bottom