The CookingBites Cookalong: Gumbo

Sadly health and the weather have gotten in the way of me participating and an extension won't help matters much. I'm just in too much pain and have too many medical appointments and an operation next week for me to even manage much other than raiding the freezer!

Sorry you can't participate - but one thing I will say is that the dark roux is a really great thing and should be a staple in vegan menus.

My gumbo is in the final stages of cooking right now. I won't eat it until tomorrow, as I like gumbo better the next day -- it really let's the flavors get friendly. I have been tasting as I cook, and it is one of my best, yet. I got some good, authentic andouille on my last trip home to Port Arthur. I vacuum sealed it and froze it, so it is still like fresh. The other meat is leftover thanksgiving turkey. I made the stock for the gumbo from the bones, scraps and skins of the turkey.

As usual, I will have to struggle to write a somewhat accurate recipe for my entry, as I just make it from memory and instinct.

So, hopefully I will post a "recipe" and a photo by tomorrow night.

CD

My gumbo is in the final stages of cooking right now. I won't eat it until tomorrow, as I like gumbo better the next day -- it really let's the flavors get friendly. I have been tasting as I cook, and it is one of my best, yet. I got some good, authentic andouille on my last trip home to Port Arthur. I vacuum sealed it and froze it, so it is still like fresh. The other meat is leftover thanksgiving turkey. I made the stock for the gumbo from the bones, scraps and skins of the turkey.

As usual, I will have to struggle to write a somewhat accurate recipe for my entry, as I just make it from memory and instinct.

CD

Looking forward to pics and recipe.

Russ

CD

Excellent - and this reminds me I haven't yet posted the gumbo z'herbes I made.

Okay, I finally get to eat my gumbo!

As for a recipe. I can tell you what's in it, and some approximate amounts, but I have been making gumbo for so long, that I "just do it."

I used 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of canola oil for my roux. It took about 20 minutes to reach a chocolate brown.

The meats are leftover Thanksgiving turkey dark meat, and andouille sausage from a market in Port Arthur. I forgot to weigh the meats. Sorry.

The veggies are the Trinity, of course, which is diced onions, diced bell peppers and sliced celery. I used one large onion, two bell peppers and four stalks of celery. I added sliced okra in the last hour of simmering. I used frozen okra.

Seasonings were salt, cayenne pepper and granulated garlic. I don't know the exact amouts. I just added to taste. Start off easy with the cayenne, and add more if you need it. When you taste, wait for the cayenne to kick in before you decide to add any more. I started with about 2 teaspoons (measured in the palm of my hand, so not exact).

I used about 10 cups of turkey stock that I made from the bones and scraps of the leftover turkey. No seasonings or veggies in the stock, just turkey. I did all of my seasoning in the gumbo.

TurkeyGumbo001.jpg

I was very pleased with this pot of gumbo. It is one of the best I have ever made.

CD

Okay, I finally get to eat my gumbo!

As for a recipe. I can tell you what's in it, and some approximate amounts, but I have been making gumbo for so long, that I "just do it."

I used 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of canola oil for my roux. It took about 20 minutes to reach a chocolate brown.

The meats are leftover Thanksgiving turkey dark meat, and andouille sausage from a market in Port Arthur. I forgot to weigh the meats. Sorry.

The veggies are the Trinity, of course, which is diced onions, diced bell peppers and sliced celery. I used one large onion, two bell peppers and four stalks of celery. I added sliced okra in the last hour of simmering. I used frozen okra.

Seasonings were salt, cayenne pepper and granulated garlic. I don't know the exact amouts. I just added to taste. Start off easy with the cayenne, and add more if you need it. When you taste, wait for the cayenne to kick in before you decide to add any more. I started with about 2 teaspoons (measured in the palm of my hand, so not exact).

I used about 10 cups of turkey stock that I made from the bones and scraps of the leftover turkey. No seasonings or veggies in the stock, just turkey. I did all of my seasoning in the gumbo.

View attachment 35565

I was very pleased with this pot of gumbo. It is one of the best I have ever made.

CD

This looks really great and a brilliant way to use up leftover turkey. I'll be doing something similar with Christmas leftovers. I envy you being able to source andouille. Its impossible here.

My only observation - frozen okra cooked for an hour...? :scratchhead:

This looks really great and a brilliant way to use up leftover turkey. I'll be doing something similar with Christmas leftovers. I envy you being able to source andouille. Its impossible here.

I hate slimy okra, so I cook it longer. Actually, most of the gumbo cooks I know do the same thing -- some for even longer. I use okra in my gumbo more for its thickening properties than anything.

I almost bought fresh okra for this gumbo, but the produce department where I shop didn't have any, at this time. I didn't feel like driving around looking for it, so I went with what I've almost always done -- use frozen.

CD

Ha... oh...I hate slimy okra so I cook it for the briefest time possible! But I use fresh. Its easily available in all major supermarkets here.

I've never tried cooking okra fast for slime reduction, other than when I make breaded and deep fried okra -- another Southern US staple. I may have to give it a try.

I can usually find fresh okra in at Kroger, but they didn't have any when I was there on Sunday.

CD

Gumbo z'herbes, I wanted to keep this vegan so I left out the smoked sausage. In fact, I think it might have been better if I'd added it. I tried it with and without red kidney beans. Both ways work but I preferred it without. I'm not sure why..

I cooked the greens first until they were softened. The drained and plunged them in iced water to retain the vibrant green. I used the water from the cooking of the greens to make the vegetable stock. The okra were cooked in the gumbo until just cooked.

The greens I used:
Spigarello kale from Italy
Pea shoots
Mustard leaves
Broccoli shoots
Rocket
Watercress
Parsley
Pak Choi
Dill

Gumbo z'herbes, I wanted to keep this vegan so I left out the smoked sausage. In fact, I think it might have been better if I'd added it. I tried it with and without red kidney beans. Both ways work but I preferred it without. I'm not sure why..

I cooked the greens first until they were softened. The drained and plunged them in iced water to retain the vibrant green. I used the water from the cooking of the greens to make the vegetable stock. The okra were cooked in the gumbo until just cooked.

The greens I used:
Spigarello kale from Italy
Pea shoots
Mustard leaves
Broccoli shoots
Rocket
Watercress
Parsley
Pak Choi
Dill

View attachment 35625

View attachment 35626

View attachment 35627

Spigarello kale? mmm, I've never heard of it before...

Spigarello kale? mmm, I've never heard of it before...

This is all I know - from Ocado website:

Also known as Cima Nera, Spigarello kale is a hardy winter green native to Southern Italy. - It has long, ribbed leaves on a firm stalk. You can either cook the leaves whole or strip them from the stalk and cook separately. - These leafy greens have a slightly bitter, robust flavour which is best suited to cooking.

Get a copy of Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman. There is a recipe for cold smoked andouille in it (plus a lot of other great charcuterie recipes).

Cold smoking is something you can do without a smoker. I made a cold smoke generator out of a tin can and a cheap soldering iron. You can put in any kind of enclosure. Alton brown uses an upside-down cardboard box.

That reminds me, I completely forgot I had home cured/smoked Tasso in the freezer, so I didn't use it in my gumbo this time. It doesn't make a really noticeable difference, but if I have it, I may as well use it. DOH!

CD

A big thank you to all who participated in the Gumbo Cookalong. I was on a steep learning curve which is what the Cookalong is all about. For me its been an exciting ride and I now have a new dish and technique to carry forward. I thank my American friends here for that.

Would anyone like a new Cookalong or do we need a break over Christmas?

Back
Top Bottom