The CookingBites Cookalong: Gumbo

A big thank you to all who participated in the Gumbo Cookalong. I was on a steep learning curve which is what the Cookalong is all about. For me its been an exciting ride and I now have a new dish and technique to carry forward. I thank my American friends here for that.

Would anyone like a new Cookalong or do we need a break over Christmas?

I'm probably going to be too busy until January, but then have lots of time.

As for cookalong topics, have you done paella? I have a paella pan that I have never used for paella. That's a meal I haven't had the courage to take on.

CD

As for cookalong topics, have you done paella? I have a paella pan that I have never used for paella. That's a meal I haven't had the courage to take on.

Yeah we did paella, although it was a while back in Spring 2017. In fact, I think very few entered and apart from me no current members joined in - so maybe we could do it again?

Here is what has gone before:

Coq au Vin
Boeuf Bourguignon
Paella
Falafel
Chicken Kiev
Hungarian Goulash
Ravioli
Tarte Tatin
Chinese Dumplings
Deep Fried eggs
Soufflés and Fondants
Choux pastry
Gumbo

And here is the blurb about the concept:
The concept of the Cookalong is to try out 'classic’ or regional recipes that we haven't cooked before and/or practice techniques that are new to us. Suggestions need to be reasonably specific not generic terms such as ‘wraps’ or ‘stews’ or 'pizzas', for example. There are no winners - its simply a chance to share experience. The chosen dish needs to present a 'challenge' rather than being something most of us know how to make.

I think we will wait until January to launch a new Cookalong, so plenty of time to come up with ideas.

One classic US dish I can think of is chili, and there are regional variations on it. Texas chili is most widely known, but there are a number of styles, just within the US. Texas, New Mexico, Cincinnati "Skyline" chili, Illinois chili, Kansas City chili (sometimes served over spaghetti), and others. It is also a dish that many people have made vegetarian, and possibly vegan. Chili may be too generic, but gumbo had options, too.

An Italian classic is pasta carbonara. Mypinchofitaly could perhaps lead that cookalong. That is a dish that is not hard to make, but often made wrong. That is more specific.

I'll keep my thinking cap on.

CD

One classic US dish I can think of is chili,

Yes - many variations and almost everyone already cooks it in one shape or form. Its probably not challenging enough but would be OK for 'Dish of the Month' (the less demanding alternative to the Cookalong).

Carbonara would be fun and maybe not everyone will have already cooked it (or would like to improve on their efforts).

Get a copy of Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman. There is a recipe for cold smoked andouille in it (plus a lot of other great charcuterie recipes).

Cold smoking is something you can do without a smoker. I made a cold smoke generator out of a tin can and a cheap soldering iron. You can put in any kind of enclosure. Alton brown uses an upside-down cardboard box.

That reminds me, I completely forgot I had home cured/smoked Tasso in the freezer, so I didn't use it in my gumbo this time. It doesn't make a really noticeable difference, but if I have it, I may as well use it. DOH!

CD

We use Emeril's andouille and tasso recipes from his Real and Rustic book. We tried Rhulman's recipe once, and if I remember correctly without getting the book out, it had cinnamon in it, which made for a mighty odd tasting andouille to us. Regardless of whether it had the cinnamon or not, we made it once and decided to stick with Emeril's recipe. We always leave part of it raw for bulk andouille to use in burgers, meatloaf, etc, etc.

We use Emeril's andouille and tasso recipes from his Real and Rustic book. We tried Rhulman's recipe once, and if I remember correctly without getting the book out, it had cinnamon in it, which made for a mighty odd tasting andouille to us. Regardless of whether it had the cinnamon or not, we made it once and decided to stick with Emeril's recipe. We always leave part of it raw for bulk andouille to use in burgers, meatloaf, etc, etc.

I believe Ruhlman's Tasso has a little cinnamon in it. Not sure... and too lazy to look it up right now.

CD

Having grown up eating and making Gumbo it pleases me immensely to see the level of participation and the variety of Gumbo recipes. morning glory I am so glad you have embraced this Cajun classic. Bring great Gumbo to Great Britain.

Another cook-a-long would be fun after the new year.
I had the good fortune to visit Spain in '94. I ate the most amazing Paella. I did not even know what it was called. Just a wonderful seafood dish. I would love to try making it and learning from all of your experience.

It would be one heck of a challenge to make that one vegan, or even just dairy-free vegetarian.

Due to the exponential rise of veganism the internet is awash with vegan carbonara recipes: About 32,400,000 results (0.51 seconds)

Waitrose & Sainsburies also sell vegan carbonara 'ready meals'.

Stew! Can be any type.

Too general for the Cookalong - the guidelines for a Cookalong: to cook 'classic’ or regional recipes and/or practice specific techniques.

Dish of the Month was introduced instead of the Cookalong to encourage more participation. So (if you like!) its the 'dumbed down version'. A general topic like stew would fit that.

Back
Top Bottom