The CookingBites Cookalong: Soufflés and Fondants

Today is the day for having a go. I haven't made a souffle for years, but seeing the lovely parsnip souffle made by @morning glory gave me inspiration to make a Stilton souffle to go with today's roast beef. This idea lead to a discussion with my wife about the difference between a souffle and a Yorkshire pudding, which she normally cooks to go with beef. We came to the conclusion that the only real differences are the temperature of the batter, and the separation and whipping of the egg whites.So, we decided to use her usual batter mixture without egg whites, add Stilton, and then add in the beaten egg whites before cooking. Will report back after the event!

How did the soufflé Yorkshire pudding go @epicuric?

stilton souffle.jpg

They tasted great (as anything containing Stilton and chives would), but the texture was a bit too like a muffin.

Corn, bacon, gruyere cheese souffle. I thought the dish I had was a 1.5 quart dish for the souffle, but it turned out the smallest I had was 2 quarts so it didn't rise above the top of the dish, just made it to the top.

View attachment 16422

View attachment 16423

I love the combo of bacon with gruyere. The texture of the soufflée looks lovely. I'm hungry now!

I made what I intended to be a tomato bread pudding for the recipe challenge - it turned out rather 'souffléd'. Work needs to be done on this recipe before I post it, as it came out rather bland (nice texture though):

fullsizeoutput_34c8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_34c2.jpeg

The bread puddings do puff up. Our mushroom bread pudding puffs up quite nicely and then rapidly falls when out of the heat, pretty much like a souffle.

The bread puddings do puff up. Our mushroom bread pudding puffs up quite nicely and then rapidly falls when out of the heat, pretty much like a souffle.

Yes - it did fall very quickly. I have been reading that Tomato Pudding is a Southern speciality...

Yes - it did fall very quickly. I have been reading that Tomato Pudding is a Southern speciality...

Never heard of it and I'm originally from one of the Southern States, but not the deep south, maybe that's where it is a staple as I saw that too when I looked. Florida really isn't considered a Southern State BTW, maybe north Florida, but central and south, nope, not a chance.

I'm extending this Cookalong by a week for purely selfish reasons! I have one I want to try out. Anyone else?

New deadline: midday 28th June (BST)

I make a dessert similar to your puddin, except I use croissant pieces and liquid is brûlée mix, add chocolate chunks and bake, real rich and yummy.

Russ

I haven't made a soufflé for years. The nearest I've come to it lately was here https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/anda-dar-behest-aromatic-souffle-omelette.9609/#post-90284. It is supposed to be a soufflé but I cheated and pan-fried it like an omelette, mainly because I could not justify using 6 eggs in one dish just for me. It did rise and was fluffy but nowhere near as much as it should do in the oven. If I can find a suitable dish for a smaller version, I will give it another go.

anda Dar-Behest.jpg

I've been unwell the past week and haven't had a chance to make the molten cake/fondant I planned. So - given that also we didn't have many participants I'm extending the deadline a bit more. New deadline midday July 12th.

Back
Top Bottom