The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Almonds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I couldn't find much on availability worldwide (which is what I'm always concerned about when choosing an ingredient for everyone), so I'm just going to plow ahead and name the spice juniper berries as our next ingredient challenge.

Juniper berries have come up in discussion on the forum a couple of times (since I joined, anyway), usually with a "what do I do with these things" comment, so I thought it might be a good choice. I also just happened to watch an episode of a cooking show recently where juniper berries were part of a game hen dish.

Just a blurb from Wikipedia:

Juniper berries are used in northern European and particularly Scandinavian cuisine to "impart a sharp, clear flavor"[1]to meat dishes, especially wild birds (including thrush, blackbird, and woodcock) and game meats (including boar and venison).[8] They also season pork, cabbage, and sauerkraut dishes. Traditional recipes for choucroute garnie, an Alsatian dish of sauerkraut and meats, universally include juniper berries.[9]Besides Norwegian and Swedish dishes, juniper berries are also sometimes used in German, Austrian, Czech, Polish and Hungarian cuisine, often with roasts (such as German sauerbraten). Northern Italiancuisine, especially that of the South Tyrol, also incorporates juniper berries.

Enjoy!

I love juniper berries and they are also quite used in Sardinian cuisine!

Ok, I couldn't find much on availability worldwide (which is what I'm always concerned about when choosing an ingredient for everyone), so I'm just going to plow ahead and name the spice juniper berries as our next ingredient challenge.

Juniper berries have come up in discussion on the forum a couple of times (since I joined, anyway), usually with a "what do I do with these things" comment, so I thought it might be a good choice. I also just happened to watch an episode of a cooking show recently where juniper berries were part of a game hen dish.

Just a blurb from Wikipedia:

Juniper berries are used in northern European and particularly Scandinavian cuisine to "impart a sharp, clear flavor"[1]to meat dishes, especially wild birds (including thrush, blackbird, and woodcock) and game meats (including boar and venison).[8] They also season pork, cabbage, and sauerkraut dishes. Traditional recipes for choucroute garnie, an Alsatian dish of sauerkraut and meats, universally include juniper berries.[9]Besides Norwegian and Swedish dishes, juniper berries are also sometimes used in German, Austrian, Czech, Polish and Hungarian cuisine, often with roasts (such as German sauerbraten). Northern Italiancuisine, especially that of the South Tyrol, also incorporates juniper berries.

Enjoy!
Congratulations on your win, TastyReuben. Your choice of a new ingredient is why I love these Challenges: they get me thinking about an ingredient I would never have thought of using before. This is going to be fun.

Congratulations TastyReuben! I have never tried Juniper Berries. I have wild duck, wild pig and venison in the freezer. I have duck planned for next week. My mission is to locate juniper berries.
Thank you!

My local, small-town Kroger doesn't carry them, but the big Kroger Marketplace does. I ended up getting mine from a small gourmet place.

Congratulations TastyReuben! I have never tried Juniper Berries. I have wild duck, wild pig and venison in the freezer. I have duck planned for next week. My mission is to locate juniper berries.

I could probably find some in my yard. I have junipers, but don't know if they are the right juniper variety... or if they currently have berries. Junipers grow wild in North Texas.

CD

Thank you!

My local, small-town Kroger doesn't carry them, but the big Kroger Marketplace does. I ended up getting mine from a small gourmet place.

My house sits between a Kroger Signature, and a Kroger Marketplace. The Signature is closer, and my prescriptions go there, but the Marketplace is ridiculous! You can buy fine jewelry there... as in diamonds. They also have a lot more food offerings.

CD

My house sits between a Kroger Signature, and a Kroger Marketplace. The Signature is closer, and my prescriptions go there, but the Marketplace is ridiculous! You can buy fine jewelry there... as in diamonds. They also have a lot more food offerings.

CD
I live 45 minutes from Kroger World Headquarters, I'm in the heart of the Kroger Empire...and I've never seen a Kroger Signature.

We used to have one called something like Kroger Fresh or maybe Kroger Bistro, but then they just rolled that into the Marketplace concept. They also just (as in, a couple of years ago) built a boutique Kroger downtown in Cincy (near the corporate building) that's kind of interesting, I used to like going in there.

My preference was always to hit a particular Marketplace about 35 minutes from me, but nowadays, I just go to the plain-vanilla Kroger in town unless I need something specific that they don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom