The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Almonds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't let my recipe stop you. Your recipe will have a different twist.
Speckled Trout and Flounder are my favorite Gulf fish. I don't turn down Grouper or Red Fish. In the freezer we also have Catfish and Sac a Lait (White Perch) filets.

I like grouper and redfish, but my favorite is red snapper from the Gulf. We had a neighbor back in Port Arthur who had a 42-foot cruiser fully outfitted for offshore fishing (including tuna tower). We would go out about 100 miles to the rigs, and spend a few days fishing for red snapper. They are really big out there.

CD

Anyone here like cobia? I do. I like grouper, trigger fish, and cobia the best, then snapper, as far as salt water fish go. I like yellowfin tuna quite a bit too, but just an entirely different preparation than the aforementioned.

Recipe - Semolina Cantucci Toscani with Raisins

I like grouper and redfish, but my favorite is red snapper from the Gulf. We had a neighbor back in Port Arthur who had a 42-foot cruiser fully outfitted for offshore fishing (including tuna tower). We would go out about 100 miles to the rigs, and spend a few days fishing for red snapper. They are really big out there.

CD
Love Red Snapper. The problem is the season is very short with strict size restrictions and catch limits. They do get very large in deep water. Fishermen carry special tools to deflate the swim bladder when they have to release snapper. If the swim bladder is not deflated the fish will just float on the surface until it dies.

Or becomes Flipper's dinner :D

We used to clean the fish on the way back to Port Arthur, and tossed the guts and stuff over the stern. We would have a trail of dolphins behind us, having a free meal.

Back then, we had no size limits, and didn't have to throw anything back, so I never knew about the swim bladder. I do recall red snapper being harder to buy in later years. I don't know if they were overfished, or environmental issues took the population down, but it would explain limits.

I know that fertilizers from farms in the Midwest have done major damage to the Gulf of Mexico West of the Mississippi river.

CD

CEB3E74D-FBA4-4D79-BF0D-5A78B5A1A102.jpeg

Almond Garlic Gnocchi - I made this much more difficult than it needed to be because I decided to use rutabaga instead of potatoes. But, it still came together. The result was good enough that I will certainly make it again...with potatoes next time.

Last edited:
Did you sauce those with something? Maybe that will be in your explanation tomorrow.

CD
The picture isn't very appealing, I know. I ended up eating them with a drizzle of melted butter. They were good enough that - time permitting - I might just do them again, but with potatoes. Sometimes, my need to make the recipe as Weight Watchers friendly as possible gets the better of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom