The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Beans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it is a legume, so it is a bean. I did a search and came up with mung beans as the same thing. Go for it, but you may have to describe it a bit to the less experienced palate.

I was thinking of moong dahl which I've cooked a few times but years ago. I know we can obtain them here (or at least we could).

I was quietly waiting for this little issue to come up.

Well it is a legume, so it is a bean.

All beans are legumes but not all legumes are beans. Beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas, and peanuts are all legumes. Moong beans are classified as a bean - but having said that, 'bean' is a rather loose term:

According to the Penguin Companion to Food, bean is a “term loosely applied to any legume whose seeds or pods are eaten, not classed separately as a pea or lentil.” Beans traditionally were in the genus Phaseolus, but now some of the species, including the black-eyed pea, are in the genus Vigna. Peas are in the genus Pisum.

However, despite what the Penguin Companion to Food says, some sources such as the USDA do not classify green beans as a bean. How is that for confusing?

Green peas, green lima beans, and green (string) beans are not considered to be part of the beans and peas subgroup. Green peas and green lima beans are similar to other starchy vegetables and are grouped with them. Green beans are grouped with other vegetables such as onions, lettuce, celery, and cabbage because their nutrient content is similar to those foods.

Beans and peas are unique foods | ChooseMyPlate

Given the 'looseness' of the term, I reckon it has to be up the the judge for this challenge to decide what qualifies. :D

Recipe - Fried Chickpea Salad

With the lemony vinaigrette and early veggies like radishes, this would be a tasty addition to a lighter Spring menu. Obviously, there's a good bit of brightness with the citrus, but the spices for the chickpeas lend a nice warmth on the palate (not to mention the literal warmth of the chickpeas themselves) for a good contrast.

Excellent as an appetizing starter salad, but bulky enough with the chickpeas to make a filling main course as well.

Vegetarian Ethiopian Black-Eyed Pea Stew

ethiopian-done2.jpg

Recipe - Pasta Fasul

This is a real winner with me. It's got everything I like - brothy, beany, cheesy, with pasta as well. The lentils, though it seems a small amount, really add a nice touch. It's a great cold weather soup, and perfect for dunking in some delicious homemade bread.

Wow, people are jumping all over the beans!
Even the beans are jumping!

GorgeousGrossGelding-size_restricted.gif

caseydog: congrats again for a worthy winning recipe....and condolences in advance for the massive work ahead of you in judging this one. I thought the greens had a lot of entries, but I suspect this will top that total!

caseydog: congrats again for a worthy winning recipe....and condolences in advance for the massive work ahead of you in judging this one. I thought the greens had a lot of entries, but I suspect this will top that total!

I think you are right The Late Night Gourmet. I think we are going to see a lot of entries...I mean A LOT!!

I believe the rule is the previous judge :whistling: has to help judge if there are too many entries. :wink: (just kidding)

I was quietly waiting for this little issue to come up.

All beans are legumes but not all legumes are beans. Beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas, and peanuts are all legumes. Moong beans are classified as a bean - but having said that, 'bean' is a rather loose term:

According to the Penguin Companion to Food, bean is a “term loosely applied to any legume whose seeds or pods are eaten, not classed separately as a pea or lentil.” Beans traditionally were in the genus Phaseolus, but now some of the species, including the black-eyed pea, are in the genus Vigna. Peas are in the genus Pisum.

However, despite what the Penguin Companion to Food says, some sources such as the USDA do not classify green beans as a bean. How is that for confusing?

Beans and peas are unique foods | ChooseMyPlate

Given the 'looseness' of the term, I reckon it has to be up the the judge for this challenge to decide what qualifies. :D

I have enough stress with my real career, I don't want to make a career out of this. Just don't post up something that makes me shake my head and say, "C'mon man," and I'm cool.

If you have to write a paragraph explaining WHY your entry should be considered a bean dish, you've probably broken the, "C'mon man," rule.

CD

I have enough stress with my real career, I don't want to make a career out of this. Just don't post up something that makes me shake my head and say, "C'mon man," and I'm cool.

If you have to write a paragraph explaining WHY your entry should be considered a bean dish, you've probably broken the, "C'mon man," rule.

CD

I didn't mean to cause you stress. :ohmy: I was trying to make it easy by saying you can accept any entries you like - no-one wants to get into an endless analysis of what is or isn't a bean! I trust that no-one is going to be silly and post something that is obviously not beans.

I think you are right @The Late Night Gourmet. I think we are going to see a lot of entries...I mean A LOT!!

Yep! I agree. Beans are really versatile and a great choice.

A few notes about judging:
When judging, I've found it helps to jot a little note about each recipe and what I think as its posted - just so I don't necessarily have to go back and read them all again. But that's just the way I do it. But no-one wants to turn this into hard work. Its a fun challenge and at the end of the day its worth remembering that there are no judging criteria and no need to justify why a particular recipe is chosen as winner! Its whichever recipe appeals most to the judge that wins. So best not to take the whole thing too seriously.

I didn't mean to cause you stress. :ohmy: I was trying to make it easy by saying you can accept any entries you like - no-one wants to get into an endless analysis of what is or isn't a bean! I trust that no-one is going to be silly and post something that is obviously not beans.

We are on the same page. You and i were saying basically the same thing. :hug:

CD

No jelly beans???

(No, don't worry - I won't do those... Besides I loath jelly beans...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom