The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Beans

caseydog

Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
6:09 PM
Nice new entries. Bean stuffed peppers never occurred to me. Great idea.

Medtran49, I wish you would have included photos, even if it was not a pretty dish. I know basically what a cassoulet looks like, so I'll have to use my imagination with the recipe.

So far, nice entries, but not enough entries to put me into an anxiety attack. Soooo, if I ever said something you didn't like (pretty good chance of that), here is your chance at payback.

CD

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Local time
7:09 PM
I've got a cassoulet coming. If it were summer and I could get greasy beans, I'd make leather britches, but I can't get ahold of any green beans other than beanless string beans at the store, and those won't work.

I'll have a couple of others, probably, as I like beans a lot.

morning glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:09 AM
Fascinating - never heard of either before. I love the idea of the dried beans in pods. To quote from your link:

“Leather britches” or “shuck beans” refers to the method of preserving certain types of green beans by drying them in their pods. Rehydrated and cooked, the skins take on the texture of silk and nearly dissolve on the tongue, while the beans are tender, rich, and velvety.

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Local time
7:09 PM
Fascinating - never heard of either before. I love the idea of the dried beans in pods. To quote from your link:
When I was a kid, we dried them on sheet pans in the back window of the car parked in the sun, because it would get so hot in there. Mom would store them in old nylons, hanging up in the basement.

Top Bottom