The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Beans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now pass this burden onto TastyRuben.
I seriously saw more than one dish he prepared that would have been a worthy winner; the one you picked was very deserving.

I’m sorry that you had medical issues to overcome...that really sucks. How long is the recovery?

I seriously saw more than one dish he prepared that would have been a worthy winner; the one you picked was very deserving.

I’m sorry that you had medical issues to overcome...that really sucks. How long is the recovery?

I honestly had to pass more than a couple winner worthy dishes from multiple entrants. But, that's the burden of judging. I wish I could remember that SOB who threw me under the bus as the next judge. Although, I'm sure he was a nice guy who meant well. Who was that?

The medical issue did sideline me for a day or two. But not much, BTW, don't feel sorry for me. I don't. How log is recovery? Days or weeks. That's all they can say. Honestly, not the worst I've been trough. I'm a cancer survivor. That really sucked. This is nothing.

CD

I know of only three things to do with a turnip: eat raw, make into mash, or roast, so it would definitely be a challenge... :whistling:

I think it will probably significantly reduce the number of entries if you choose rutabaga/swede (turnip in UK is a different root vegetable unless you are up North). Turnips are white fleshed with a pinkish skin (much loved by Chefs in the UK).

Swede/rutabaga is orange fleshed and often served mashed.

Personally I could do lots of things with a swede (I can think of 5 ideas off the top of my head) but I'm not sure everyone can obtain them in other countries (Italy, Thailand, New Zealand?) and it seems that some (many?) folk don't really like them.

I'd hate it if it turned out I made 5 entries and no-one else made any!

Of course, its absolutely up to you to decide TastyReuben.

Last edited:
Thank you, that's nice to read!

I think it will probably significantly reduce the number of entries if you choose rutabaga/swede (turnip in UK is a different root vegetable unless you are up North). Turnips are white fleshed with a pinkish skin (much loved by Chefs in the UK).

My thinking was that if I included both, it would open it up to more people, as there might be some who can get one, but not the other. Coincidentally, just to show how labeling goes, turnips and rutabagas are frequently labeled interchangeably here: some days, or depending on the shop, I'll see turnips labeled rutabagas or the opposite.

Anyway, to make it simpler...let's go with coconut. You can use it whole/fresh, or you can use the bagged/shredded/pre-sweetened stuff. It'll work in savory dishes, it'll work it sweet dishes. It can even go in drinks.

Coconut milk/cream is also fine. If it comes from a coconut, it'll count. Have fun!

🥥 🥥 🥥

Coincidentally, just to show how labeling goes, turnips and rutabagas are frequently labeled interchangeably here: some days, or depending on the shop, I'll see turnips labeled rutabagas or the opposite.

Strange really as they are really quite different in colour, taste and texture. It must be quite alarming for someone who is inexperienced to buy a rutabaga for a yellow swede recipe and then discover its a white turnip.

Anyway, to make it simpler...let's go with coconut. You can use it whole/fresh, or you can use the bagged/shredded/pre-sweetened stuff. It'll work in savory dishes, it'll work it sweet dishes. It can even go in drinks.

OK - that should be OK with most people although I know Yorky doesn't like coconut milk and like me always subs yoghurt if a recipe calls for it. I have an intolerance to coconut milk but can eat the flesh (fresh or desiccated).

I'll post up the new challenge. :okay:

Thank you, that's nice to read!

My thinking was that if I included both, it would open it up to more people, as there might be some who can get one, but not the other. Coincidentally, just to show how labeling goes, turnips and rutabagas are frequently labeled interchangeably here: some days, or depending on the shop, I'll see turnips labeled rutabagas or the opposite.

Coconut milk/cream is also fine. If it comes from a coconut, it'll count. Have fun!

🥥 🥥 🥥

I don't use coconut often, in any form, but I can do some things with it. A lot more than rutabagas. Thanks!

CD

View attachment 38344

View attachment 38345

Personally I could do lots of things with a swede (I can think of 5 ideas off the top of my head) but I'm not sure everyone can obtain them in other countries (Italy, Thailand, New Zealand?) and it seems that some (many?) folk don't really like them.

Quite hard to find swede/rutabaga by these parts, effectively
Thanks to both of you morning glory for proposed and TastyReuben for have chosen another ingredient 😉

I don't use coconut often, in any form, but I can do some things with it. A lot more than rutabagas. Thanks!

CD

I very rarely use it, partly due to my intolerance of the milk but also because I have no sweet tooth. However, I do have some curry ideas using toasted desiccated coconut masala. And a few other ideas for using it as a coating on savoury foods. But, in truth this is more challenging for me than swede! That is no bad thing.

caseydog
An outstanding job of judging. I do not envy you. Take care of yourself. Get well soon.

TastyReuben
Congratulations. You are a worthy winner.

Coconut it is. My mind first goes to coconut shrimp. Unfortunately I posted the recipe in a previous coconut challenge. :(

caseydog
An outstanding job of judging. I do not envy you. Take care of yourself. Get well soon.

TastyReuben
Congratulations. You are a worthy winner.

Coconut it is. My mind first goes to coconut shrimp. Unfortunately I posted the recipe in a previous coconut challenge. :(
Thanks! I didn't see coconut listed , so in assuming it was a different challenge. 🤷🏻‍♂️

View attachment 38344

View attachment 38345

We have swede / turnip here, in fact I grew some seeds my wife didn't know what they were, they are half grown swedes. I'm happy, I love them mashed with lots of pepper and butter.

Russ

Well now I'm just mad at myself. I checked the ingredient list twice and didn't see coconut listed at all. That's why I picked it.

Sorry, everyone, for making you do a repeat. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom