The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Beetroot (Beets)

F546D255-D441-445C-8A01-26671AE665B6.jpeg

Beet Tots.
This probably looks more like a demonic snowman, breaking down the gates of hell itself. Or, possibly, it’s what happens when you use beets to make a recipe originally written for potatoes.

I originally had the idea of trying to sell these as Christmas ornaments: it’s hard to tell, but there are bits of dill and green onion throughout. The potent color of the beet root obliterates everything else, even when you can see each individual one:

I made an aïoli with olive oil mayo, dill, and garlic. Besides looking a bit like snow with pine needles in it, it’s also good with the beet tots; I’m not sure it needs it. Each little nugget is a terrific bit of roasted beets. If you like that sort of thing, you will like this. Otherwise, dip away. Either way seems to work, though skipping the aïoli is much healthier.

By the way, these are not burned at all. I could probably have cooked it a little bit longer and not worried about burning it.

Here, I cut one in half, and you can see the redness of the beet inside:

Last edited:
View attachment 35859

Beet Tots.
This probably looks more like a demonic snowman, breaking down the gates of hell itself. Or, possibly, it’s what happens when you use beets to make a recipe originally written for potatoes.

I originally had the idea of trying to sell these as Christmas ornaments: it’s hard to tell, but there are bits of dill and green onion throughout. The potent color of the beet root obliterates everything else, even when you can see each individual one:

View attachment 35860

I made an aïoli with olive oil mayo, dill, and garlic. Besides looking a bit like snow with pine needles in it, it’s also good with the beet tots; I’m not sure it needs it. Each little nugget is a terrific bit of roasted beets. If you like that sort of thing, you will like this. Otherwise, dip away. Either way seems to work, though skipping the aïoli is much healthier.

By the way, these are not burned at all. I could probably have cooked it a little bit longer and not worried about burning it.

Here, I cut one in half, and you can see the redness of the beet inside:

View attachment 35861

Its different! You grated raw beetroot? Why do they looks so blackened (I note you say they are not burnt)?

To date we have 3 entries. I have quite a lot I haven't yet written up (at Ieast 4). Its not at all surprising that entries are low as its Christmas - but would anyone like an extension until after New Year?

To date we have 3 entries. I have quite a lot I haven't yet written up (at Ieast 4). Its not at all surprising that entries are low as its Christmas - but would anyone like an extension until after New Year?
Sure, why not? It's normal to make allowances for the holidays. I say go for it!

Absolutely re an extension. 4th January sounds great.
That helps me considerably. I'm part way through a migration to a new tablet, between wedding anniversary (23rd) and a double family birthday and I've got chicks hatching in the morning, to add to the three I'm hand raising. Just to top it off, temperatures are routinely hitting 39-42°C and we can't have any windows open when it's actually comparatively cool because the wind is all over the place and smoke from the fires now crosses the entire state and we've got ash falling on us this evening! It's 11pm at night, and I'm just up to get a drink. It's actually too warm to sleep through because we're dehydrating too quickly even whilst resting or asleep. Grrr. Grumpy is an understatement. I've actually got 2 recipes to write up but can't concentrate to do so.

E942BE10-C654-4332-844D-F64868110206.jpeg

This is not an entry, but I think it’s appropriate to share. I made a burrito with my beet tots, adding beets I had pickled previously, plus pickled peppers and onions. I also have some beet tots frying up.

I will post my beet pickling recipe, since it’s quite unusual, if I haven’t done so already. Mine are salty, relying on natural sweetness in the beets, but I also mix in cinnamon and clove. I’m surprised at how many things I love these with, but I do.

Back
Top Bottom