The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Beetroot (Beets)

Beetroot, Burrata & Balsamic

Ok guys, understandably at this time of year there were limited entries but enough to still make it a bit of a chore picking one out. I knock of work in two hours and will review all the entries again thoroughly then and post the result.

Okkk, despite low entries this has been so hard to pick. It truly has.

I don't want to sound like one of those progressive Kindergarten teacher's where first prize is handed out to every entry, but in the case of this challenge you could easily justify it.

So well done to all of you: morning glory The Late Night Gourmet SatNavSaysStraightOn Mountain Cat and TastyReuben.

In the end I did narrow it down to two soups. SatNavSaysStraightOn and her cold soup, especially apealling here in Oz at present as record high temperatures fuel deadly bushfires across the Nation. But in the end I went for my fall back position of which one I want to try right now.... and that is The Late Night Gourmet 's Borscht!

So congratulations to The Late Night Gourmet, but I will be trying all these outstanding recipes some time in the future. Cheers.

Last edited:
Thank you. Runner up. we've made that soup twice now and really enjoy it. It is actually tonight's evening meal. This week we actually have a cold beetroot soup (called Borscht but I'm not calling it that) on our list of soups to make. Luckily I already had the beetroot because the supermarkets are running short of the short-shelflife vegetable & fruit.

Anyhow, my congratulations go to The Late Night Gourmet for your version of Borscht which I maybe able to substitute brown TVP instead of the beef when things cool down a wee bit here.

No worries - it was an easy mistake to make re the dealine as of course its a long time ahead in Australia. I honestly did not want to win anyway (far too much else going on!). It was just that I had already typed up the recipes so thought I should add them.

Congratulations The Late Night Gourmet! Its over to you to choose the next ingredient. I look forward to it.

All the ingredients chosen before can be found in alphabetical order, here and in date order, here. Of course, it doesn't matter if you choose something we have had already so long as it wasn't too recently. Just post your ingredient in this thread and we will set up the new thread.

Its only 10.45 am (GMT) right now. The challenge runs on GMT, so closes at 12.00 midday (GMT), which is still just over an hour away, so I'll add my final 2 entries below just in case.

Pork & Beetroot Goulash

View attachment 36382

So sorry for the mix up!!

Not sure what happened as instead of relying on my dodgy maths, I went solely by the countdown clock on the front page here. It definitely read as time for this challenge as having expired when I posted.

It definitely read as time for this challenge as having expired when I posted.
Don't worry, there's a bug with all new versions (or should i say the only 2 available bought or free) of the countdown clock. The old one before the upgrade last September used timezones, so everyone counted down to the same time period based on GMT. But apparently for the new versions, that was too complicated for admins to work out and the developers decided that people on forums all live in the same timezone anyway! So neither version available to me to use respects timezones. It works great if your cutoff is the same relative point in time, but not so good for things like competitions or the likes. I've not found anything to use instead. Perhaps we'd be better off without it? I just keep it there because it gives an idea of the deadline and reminds us about anyone comp deadline rather than anything else. But I can't edit the title to even know how to explain all of the above in the title.

Don't worry, there's a bug with all new versions (or should i say the only 2 available bought or free) of the countdown clock. The old one before the upgrade last September used timezones, so everyone counted down to the same time period based on GMT. But apparently for the new versions, that was too complicated for admins to work out and the developers decided that people on forums all live in the same timezone anyway! So neither version available to me to use respects timezones. It works great if your cutoff is the same relative point in time, but not so good for things like competitions or the likes. I've not found anything to use instead. Perhaps we'd be better off without it? I just keep it there because it gives an idea of the deadline and reminds us about anyone comp deadline rather than anything else. But I can't edit the title to even know how to explain all of the above in the title.

Thanks for explaining that. When I posted yesterday I was kind of panicked after checking the clock and seeing it expired.... wondering how long people have been waiting to hear judging. I should have double checked the actual time myself, and feel bad @morningglory 's last two entries didn't enter the mix, they looked so good!! Anyway, I know from now on to disregard the clock and just do the time conversion myself.

Thanks for explaining that. When I posted yesterday I was kind of panicked after checking the clock and seeing it expired.... wondering how long people have been waiting to hear judging. I should have double checked the actual time myself, and feel bad @morningglory 's last two entries didn't enter the mix, they looked so good!! Anyway, I know from now on to disregard the clock and just do the time conversion myself.
It's also my fault. When I replied to you, I didn't notice that it was early either because I'm a tad distracted at the moment. Yesterday was a rather stressful day with the nearest fire only being 59km away and the wind direction and speed such that it could easily have covered that distance in a little over an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom