The CookingBites recipe challenge: berries

What happens if you eat them? Or shouldn't I ask?

OK - so here´s the first offering, which is not so much a "recipe" as a practical solution.

Strawberry Coulis

I found fresh strawberries for two quid ($2.40) , 600 gms. Gotta like that!
This is a very simple sauce you can use for cakes, puddings, ice cream, cheesecake. keeps in the fridge for a week or so.
And just before the anti-sugar brigade start weighing in :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...
You can use as little sugar as you like, or sugar substitute, perhaps. The only thing is, if you reduce it to zero, then you´ve got a fruit purée, not a coulis.
I plan to make some of this for my mum, who cannot tolerate pips. Yes, mine´s got a few pips. Less pressure on the strainer to push the fruit pulp through next time.
View attachment 87534

View attachment 87533
That looks and sounds very, very tempting. Berry tempting, should I say?

Pekmez is basically grape molasses (mine is homemade from my own grapes, simply because I haven't been able to purchase it in Australia, it's more a Greek & Turkish (that end of the Mediterranean) thing.)
Pekmez is what we use here in Croatia too, to describe exactly what you write. >My eyebrows went up and I smiled as I read the pekmez word.
My personal favourite would probably be the strawberry pekmez, in my very young years, or the apricot pekmez, in my later years. And my current challenge would be to cook a sugarfree pekmez. I would not even include sugar subs, if I can. Even if I can only eat it just that day and maybe a day or two in the fridge. <Thinking about plum pekmez...not for this challenge, but for my own experimentation.

:okay:

sugarfree pekmez
I've never ever added sugar to the stuff I make. I'm pretty certain that the natural sugars are high enough to act as the preservative because the batch I'm currently using was harvested 18 months ago, so isn't the current grape crop. We have our own vine and whilst it grows amazingly well, and puts up masses of flowers, and despite me cutting about half of the fertilized flowers off and keeping the new growth in check once the fruit statrs to form, the grapes never grow particularly large but they have a stunning taste. It's a very old vine (60 years or so) and had been badly neglected as is often the case with rental properties.

It hadn't occur to me that pekmez wasn't specifically grape because pomegranate or date pekmez I know as pomegranate molasses or date molasses...

I'm thinking of tahin pekmez. I miss that as a wonderful breakfast... I just love the way that 2 thinner products mix together and suddenly go really thick on you.... homemade allows me to make it as sweet or otherwise as I want. I also use pekmez in dishes to add a little sweetness and instead of honey on porridge.

The Late Night Gourmet would pekmez or verjuice be ok?

Pekmez is basically grape molasses (mine is homemade from my own grapes, simply because I haven't been able to purchase it in Australia, it's more a Greek & Turkish (that end of the Mediterranean) thing.)

Verjuice is a unripe/sour grape juice often used in cooking in countries were alcohol isn't permitted. Oddly I can easily purchase that in my main supermarket.

Yes...grapes are berries, and this is a juice extracted from those. I'll be interested in seeing what you create.

I forgot that a banana is also a berry. I have updated the description accordingly.
Technically so are pineapple, pomegranate lemons, limes & oranges and many more as well as olives (though not sweet) but you do need to draw the line somewhere.

Technically so are pineapple, pomegranate lemons, limes & oranges and many more as well as olives (though not sweet) but you do need to draw the line somewhere.

When I did the cheddar challenge judging, and some people had trouble fining much in the way of cheddar (I still don't get that), I had people PM me with the cheese they wanted to use, and replied as to whether it was okay, or not. LateNight may want to do that.

CD

When I did the cheddar challenge judging, and some people had trouble fining much in the way of cheddar (I still don't get that), I had people PM me with the cheese they wanted to use, and replied as to whether it was okay, or not. LateNight may want to do that.

CD
I think it was mostly MypinchofItaly who was having problems finding cheddar in Italy.

There wer a few others, mostly with very limited selections of cheddar. I'm so used to a huge selection of cheddar -- and a lot of cheeses -- that I was shocked that it was hard to get in some places.

CD
Yeah, every grocery store I visit, even the small ones, have a wide variety of cheeses, and yes, at least 6 different kinds of cheddar, even the smaller stores.

Back
Top Bottom