The CookingBites recipe challenge: chilli peppers

I believe the word nahuatl was the Aztec word for chilis.
Nah - nahuatl is the language - and from the few words I´ve learned , it was pretty straightforward. Chil was the word for hot pepper; a chil-potle was a smoked hot pepper. Chil Huatle means ancient chile (if you ever get hold of any , they´re great). Guac - avocado. Guac-amole - ground avocado.

"In American English, "chili" is the most common spelling for the spicy peppers as well as the stew and hotdog topping. In British English the preferred spelling is "chilli." In Spanish speaking countries and regions of the US, "chile" is the most common variant."

merriam-webster.com

The Portuguese word for these is "malagueta", completely different from all the other terms mentioned here :D
It´s probable that the word comes from the African spice, melegueta pepper, otherwise known as Guinea pepper or Grains of Paradise. The Portuguese seafarers of the late 15th/early 16th century went to Brazil, where the "chile" peppers reminded them of the grains of paradise they´d found in Africa.

Not and entry. I pickled some jalapeños a couple of days ago. As I mentioned before, some japs are mild, some hot, and others :pepper:
These were definitely :pepper:

Peppers001.jpg

CD

Not and entry. I pickled some jalapeños a couple of days ago. As I mentioned before, some japs are mild, some hot, and others :pepper:
These were definitely :pepper:

CD

I had a similar experience today albeit in reverse. I chopped four green "hot" Thai chillis up for my pork burger and could hardly taste them!

Back
Top Bottom