The CookingBites recipe challenge: flour

1660423133050.png

Recipe - Fried green tomato BLT on herbed burger buns

Okay, after a ridiculously long time since I made these sandwiches (almost a week ago), I finally got around to writing up my recipe entry! I used flour in two ways for the challenge: Recipe - Grandma's Fried Green Tomatoes and Recipe - Tarragon and thyme infused buttermilk buns. I also created a new condiment recipe that I used when making them Recipe - Spicy roasted tomato, garlic, and goat cheese spread. These were really outstanding, my husband gave them two thumbs up!

Another one from my past:

Recipe - Pfeffernusse ("Pepper Nuts")

I figure since it's pretty much Christmas, I'd get this one entered. :laugh:

These little spiced cookies resemble nuts, therefore the name ("pepper nuts"), and they're a holiday tradition around here. A lot of commercial ones will be covered in a hard frosting, but locally, they're nearly always just dusted in powdered sugar, and we much prefer that.

Impossible Ham & Cheese Pie

This recipe is made with Bisquick. It's a baking mix containing flour, leaveners, sugar and shortening.
I remember a discussion here at CB in regards to Bisquick some time back.
And when murphyscreek said that any sort of flour is good to go, I thought of Bisquick.
An Impossible Pie is very similar to a Quiche and just as tasty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recipe - Čvarkuše (tchwarkushe), savory biscuits with bacon bits

Čvarkuše, the savoury biscuits, I'd say, with bacon bits, a traditional bake in Croatia. I have not used AP flour, as I cannot eat it, so I used whole grain wheat flour. I avoided dairy as well, so I used rice milk. In a way, a very my version of čvarkuše.

That looks terrific!

Making something pumpkin spice flavored means that you're now officially an honorary American. Expect a phone call from Joe Biden soon.
❤️Thanks! I already posted multiple pumpkin spice flavored recipes, I even make my own pumpkin spice mix!

If that makes me American I'll gladly join y'all ( right?! :laugh: )

638BE191-FA4F-4396-9C06-03460475C1D2.jpeg

Crispy Macarons.

My son asked me if I could make macarons sometime. I said that I could, though I'd never tried. I finally had enough time to make make them, except...I didn't realize almond flour was a requirement. These can't be made with AP flour. I ended up grinding walnuts to make my own flour, but the consistency was off. They ended up thin, and they cooked faster than expected. They were still delicious, but not what I wanted. The batter was a brilliant orange color, but this is how they turned out. I probably won't have time to post a corrected version of this, but it was interesting to try at least.

Hi guys, judging is now complete. By my count 13 entries across 10 different cooks. By my scoring, there wasn't many points between the bottom and top entries. And as in the past, I'd like to put in the caveat that the results were one bloke's opinion whilst trying to be as objective as possible. But on any day, ANY of the 13 entries could easily have been the winner.

I haven't got time to comment on every entry, so forgive me if I jump straight to the top three that were more or less tied for first place, requiring a long hard think to pick just one. Subjectively as an aside, I do want to say being a lover of Indian cuisine, I loved the entries of karadekoolaid for his Bhatura, and Yorky for his Potato Bhaji. I'll be making both. Yorky your bhaji method is really different to mine as I always cut up the potato in to smaller pieces and mix with the other ingredients, rather than coat slices. Your style look fantastic.

OK, top three were:

JAS_OH1 with Fried Green Tomato BLT on herbed burger buns.
Morning Glory with Crab and Crayfish Tart
kaneohegirlinaz with Perfectly Chocolate Cake With Fresh Raspberry Filling

And congratulations to kaneohegirlinaz with Perfectly Chocolate Cake with Fresh Raspberry Filling
Recipe - Perfectly Chocolate Cake with fresh Raspberry Filling
Cheers!!

Hi guys, judging is now complete. By my count 13 entries across 10 different cooks. By my scoring, there wasn't many points between the bottom and top entries. And as in the past, I'd like to put in the caveat that the results were one bloke's opinion whilst trying to be as objective as possible. But on any day, ANY of the 13 entries could easily have been the winner.

I haven't got time to comment on every entry, so forgive me if I jump straight to the top three that were more or less tied for first place, requiring a long hard think to pick just one. Subjectively as an aside, I do want to say being a lover of Indian cuisine, I loved the entries of karadekoolaid for his Bhatura, and Yorky for his Potato Bhaji. I'll be making both. Yorky your bhaji method is really different to mine as I always cut up the potato in to smaller pieces and mix with the other ingredients, rather than coat slices. Your style look fantastic.

OK, top three were:

JAS_OH1 with Fried Green Tomato BLT on herbed burger buns.
Morning Glory with Crab and Crayfish Tart
kaneohegirlinaz with Perfectly Chocolate Cake With Fresh Raspberry Filling

And congratulations to kaneohegirlinaz with Perfectly Chocolate Cake with Fresh Raspberry Filling
Recipe - Perfectly Chocolate Cake with fresh Raspberry Filling
Cheers!!

Well done, kaneohegirlinaz

murphyscreek - I'll tell you the story of the potato bhaji later.

Congratulations kaneohegirlinaz! :woot:

Its now over to you to choose the next ingredient and become judge for the next round. As usual, its best to choose an ingredient which is fairly accessible in all our various countries. It doesn't matter if you choose an ingredient which has gone before so long as it wasn't too recently. A list of all ingredients chosen is here in date order and here in alphabetical order.

If you want to you can 'float' an idea for the next ingredient in this thread or if in doubt PM me or another moderator for advice.

Back
Top Bottom