The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Leafy Greens

It is so painful. It is hereditary and can be controlled to a certain degree by diet but not always. My biggest triggers are prawns (I can't even eat one without triggering an attack), and black beer such as any sort of stout. I don't drink red wine, but I'm guessing would be a problem too. But I've had severe attacks out of the blue, and one of my worst ones was after a two day fast. Unfortunately, sometimes the only way I can stave off a full blown crippling attack is with medication. I have tried many natural remedies with varying success, but once the symptoms start developing it's really only those meds that stave off the full attack which is indescribable to those that haven't had it.
Sadly I haven't figured what my triggers are and I can't take any of the medication to control it either (I'm allergic to anti-inflammatory drugs) but it is interesting that you mention black beer or stout because of the list of triggers, that is about the only thing I do occasionally drink. However there is also a good chance that mine is osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis but not being able to take the meds for those either leaves only MRI or injection to extract fluid from the joint to examine for crystals and at present it is going through a quieter period again (now where is some wood? )

If only we lived nearer each other. I'd love to make my decision by trying all of them. Seriously: this is truly inspiring. I have to admit, I expected most the major preparations: this is why I picked this group of ingredients. I will bookmark this thread, and keep referring to it for the rest of my life. I've never made lettuce wraps. I've never made paneer. I have made pizza, but never thought to add greens. And, there are other applications I'd never considered.

I have already started thinking about it. But, I've changed my mind several times. I will try not to take more than a day.

Kalettes with Blue Cheese

Kalettes are a new find for me - I urge you to try them if you come across them. They are far more delicious than I imagined they would be.

German carbonara with spaetzle and German - Austrian home cured and cold smoked speck, with cabbage.

Recipe to follow.
Are you going to post a recipe for this? I can wait until tomorrow (EST) to make my decision, but I don't want to exclude this if you think you can post the recipe sometime today. Thanks.

Are you going to post a recipe for this? I can wait until tomorrow (EST) to make my decision, but I don't want to exclude this if you think you can post the recipe sometime today. Thanks.

Sure, I actually forgot I hadn't done it. I'll post it early a.m. tomorrow. Had enough of the computer today. Thanks for reminding me.

don't forget that if you click on the cookingbites recipe challenge tag it displays all the recipes with hyperlinks.
Thank you for this reminder. I'm now able to see the full scope of my task:

27 recipes
12 cooks

Here's why this is taking me a while, even though I have been watching and evaluating as new recipes get posted:

medtran49
  • Lion's head meatballs
  • German Carbonara

morning glory
  • Kalettes with Blue Cheese
  • Tabbouleh with Egg and Pickled Lemon
  • Spaghetti with Spinach and Parmesan
  • Patta Gobhi Tamatar (Cabbage & Tomato Curry)
  • Palak Paneer (Spinach with Paneer)
  • Roasted Pepper, Aubergine & Spinach Pizza with Taleggio
  • Chard Saag Paneer
  • Potatoes, Mushrooms & Spinach with Cumin, Chilli & Gruyère

TodayInTheKitchen
  • Spicy Stir Fry Salad with Rainbow Chard
  • Inspired Vegan Tacos in Lettuce wraps

Yorky
  • Prawn Cocktail
  • Freshwater Prawns Sarnies
  • Salsa
  • Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich (B.L.T.)
  • Bubble and Squeek

Mountain Cat
  • Thai-Style Red Curry with Scallops and Leafy Greens

murphyscreek
  • Palak Haloumi (Haloumi in a Creamy Spicy Spinach Sauce)
  • Margherita Pizza

TastyReuben
  • Red Cabbage Salad
  • Green Salad With Greek Yogurt Vinaigrette

Herbie
  • Portuguese bean and cabbage soup

caseydog
  • Asian inspired lettuce wraps

ElizabethB
  • Basil Mozzarella Wontons

Stu Pot
  • Polenta Lasagna with Escarole

DetroitDad
  • Turnip/Collard Greens with Spicy Bacon

Apologies for taking so long with my decision. As I mentioned, I changed my mind several times, and I'm sure if I had more time I'd change it again. But, one I keep coming back to was a recipe that was simple but very well-conceived:

Asian Inspired Lettuce Wraps by caseydog

I really liked the fact that the lettuce was an integral part of the recipe, and that it works perfectly without doing anything more than washing it. The lightness of the lettuce offsets the heaviness of the beef, giving it a nice balance. Well-done, caseydog!

Congratulations caseydog! :bravo: Its over to you to choose the next ingredient. Simply post it in this thread and we will set up the new challenge.

The ingredients previously chosen are all listed in date order here and in alphabetical order here. It doesn't matter if you choose an ingredient which has gone before, so long as it wasn't too recently.

By the way, I just read this tip for helping make pre-washed greens or packaged lettuce mixes last longer. I found this on Food52, as posted by reddit user will-you-. I haven't tried it, but if Food52 is repeating it, I'm sure it's valid:
Whenever purchasing pre-washed lettuce or greens in plastic clam-shell containers or tubs, (spring mix, spinach, baby lettuces, etc) open the package as soon as you get home and fluff up/mix the salad around. This releases any build up of ethylene gas (which is what makes food ripen and eventually rot when in excess), and allows you to pick out any bits hidden in the middle that might be starting to go bad. Many plastic bags are perforated to allow the gas exchange, but it’s still a good idea to make sure there are no hidden wet clumps or bad pieces in the middle of the bag. I do this with all factory-sealed bagged vegetables, as one bad apple really does spoil the bunch!

Thanks Late Night. Thanks everyone else. I actually make lettuce wrap a lot, nut usually in the hot summer months. You can go Asian, Mexica, Americas (cheesesteak in a lettuce wrap). A quick favorite on a hot day is some chilled tuna salad in lettuce wraps.

This win really caught me by surprise. Ho long do I have to think of the next one?

CD

Back
Top Bottom