The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Legumes in the pod

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - sorry if I misunderstood you. It seems to be a majority view that 'burger buns' are OK as an ingredient. I was worried that somehow it was limited to making 'burgers' so I obviously misread your original post.

If we can tear them up, mix them up and generally get creative with them then its absolutely fine. We will go ahead!
I immediately had a couple of ideas (that I'm keeping to myself as a non participant) that I think would really work, that definitely aren't burgers. But I really wanted to encourage good burger entries too.... this forum is amazing sometimes, I know there are people here with great burger recipes that I'd love to see.

Last edited:
I immediately had a couple of ideas (that I'm keeping to myself as a non participant) that I think would really work, that definitely aren't burgers. But I definitely wanted to encourage good burger entries too.... this forum is amazing sometimes, I know there are people here with great burger recipes that I'd love to see.
Yeah I don't really understand how a burger itself is not a challenge, there are a million ways to make a burger. But that's just me.

Yeah I don't really understand how a burger itself is not a challenge, there are a million ways to make a burger. But that's just me.

Yes, of course there are loads of ways to make a burger. But its simple really - a burger is a generic dish, like macaroni cheese or pizza. This is an ingredient challenge. The challenge is not to make a type of dish but to use a specific ingredient in any way you wish.

'Dish of the Month' is different and designed to focus on a specific dish.

Anyway - as we now have burger buns as the ingredient, folk can of course create a burger or any other dish using burger buns!

I may be wrong, but I think most people, all over the world, know the difference between a burger and just a sandwich.
I once made my wife incredibly angry by referring to a hamburger as a sandwich. Without telling the whole story (which I may have told here before), after arguing back and forth for a while, we stopped at Burger King, and when we went to order, the young woman behind the counter asked "What kind of hamburger sandwich would you like today?" :laugh:

Now I know "burgers" isn't an ingredient, but what if I chose "burger buns",
Funny, because we're on the same track. I've had tucked in the back of my mind as choosing bread if I'm ever in the position of choosing an ingredient again.

The best bread pudding I made was with store-bought generic white hamburger buns - the author of the recipe said that it was the sugar in the buns and the extra crust that made it work.

I'll just think of something I'd make with bread, and sub in hamburger buns.

I've always taken a challenge as to mean using an ingredient in different ways, and I wouldn't see a burger as an ingredient, but as a finished dish.

That said, White Castle (burger joint here) has a popular Thanksgiving stuffing/dressing recipe made with their burgers, all chopped up, so in that case, the burger is definitely an ingredient! :)

Yes, of course there are loads of ways to make a burger. But its simple really - a burger is a generic dish, like macaroni cheese or pizza. This is an ingredient challenge. The challenge is not to make a type of dish but to use a specific ingredient in any way you wish.

'Dish of the Month' is different and designed to focus on a specific dish.

Anyway - as we now have burger buns as the ingredient, folk can of course create a burger or any other dish using burger buns!
Okay I understand now, I guess I did not understand the essence of the challenge correctly :okay:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom