The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Potatoes

Shortlist:
Potato Onion Apple Gratin (TastyReuben)
Spanish potatoes with bacon and capers (TodayInTheKitchen)
German Potato Salad, with Capers (Mountain Cat)

I wish I could make all these three the winners. The gratin is just so pretty and I love the use of apples. The latter two share that winning combination of potato, capers & bacon.

In the end I chose German Potato Salad, with Capers. It demonstrates that salads aren't just for summer and that potato salads don't have to be drowned in mayonnaise. I loved the addition of eggs to the the potato, capers & bacon. Its salad as a complete meal served warm or cold.

So its over to you, Mountain Cat to choose the next ingredient and judge the entries. Its best to choose an ingredient which is reasonably accessible across countries. Doesn't matter if you choose one that's gone before as long as it wasn't too recent. All the ingredients chosen so far can be found here. The order in which they have been chosen is here.

Shortlist:

I wish I could make all these three the winners. The gratin is just so pretty and I love the use of apples. The latter two share that winning combination of potato, capers & bacon.

In the end I chose German Potato Salad, with Capers. It demonstrates that salads aren't just for summer and that potato salads don't have to be drowned in mayonnaise. I loved the addition of eggs to the the potato, capers & bacon. Its salad as a complete meal served warm or cold.

So its over to you, Mountain Cat to choose the next ingredient and judge the entries. Its best to choose an ingredient which is reasonably accessible across countries. Doesn't matter if you choose one that's gone before as long as it wasn't too recent. All the ingredients chosen so far can be found here. The order in which they have been chosen is here.

Wow I didn't expect that! Okay, i'll be back this afternoon with my ingredient.

A big thank you to everyone who entered this round of the cookingbites recipe challenge. I believe we smashed all previous records for both the number of entries and the number of members participating (32 recipes were submitted from 13 members). We also had some members entering for the first time which is fantastic.

Obviously I can’t comment on all the entries here but I’ve made sure I left comments on each recipe in the respective recipe threads. Here is a very long list of the recipes I liked best and why. In the order in which they were posted.

My roasted potatoes, Windigo: Goose fat, olive oil, paprika & cayenne; the secret is out!
Potato Onion Apple Gratin, TastyReuben: A very pretty looking dish and beautifully photographed.
Sautéed potatoes with aromatic herbs, MypinchofItaly: Simply delicious looking with a delightful use of fresh herbs.
Balti Potatoes, Yorky: Great use of whole spices and excellent photography as always.
Potato Fingers, murphyscreek: I made this recipe with great success; delicious, crispy and light.
Batata (potato) Cutlets, cookieee: This is on my 'to do' list; spicy Indian potato cakes which sound very delicious.
Mollet Eggs Florentine, TastyReuben: I had to include this - Eggs Florentine is an absolute favourite dish of mine.
Spanish potatoes with bacon and capers, TodayInTheKitchen: Potato, bacon, capers - a winning combo; lovely.
Left Over Garlic Smashed Potato Breakfast, ElizabethB: A breakfast tour de force of taste!
Indian Potato Pie (Revisited), SatNavSaysStraightOn: A showstopper of a pie!
Pirogis with Sage Butter, The Late Night Gourmet: I loved the simplicity & ease here and the shortcut use of wonton wrappers.
German Potato Salad, with Capers, Mountain Cat: Potato, bacon, capers (that winning combo again) plus egg - a great way to go with salad.
Beetroot, Potato and Horseradish Rostis, Elawin: An eye catching vegan recipe making the most of horseradish.

Now for the difficult bit - how to choose? I'll be back a bit later with a winner.

My entries were two....

Wow I didn't expect that! Okay, i'll be back this afternoon with my ingredient.

Shortlist:

Thanks for putting me on the shortlist. I agree...bacon and capers work really well together. But enough about me...

Big congrats goes out to Mountain Cat :bravo:

Back
Top Bottom