The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Puff Pastry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hemulen: I am blown away by the amount of time and effort you put into the review process. I did see all the entries, but now I am starting to go back and relook at them so I can see what you saw. :)

And, congratulations, Burt Blank on your well-deserved win. i didn't appreciate the brilliance of your winning recipe, to be honest, until I read what Hemulen had to say about it.
Neither did I mate.

Good morning Burt Blank You are just getting up and it is past my bed time.
Have you decided on an ingredient for the next challenge? I am looking forward to whatever crazy ingredient you may come up with.
Again congratulations.

My first job as President is to announce my CookingBites Competition task force for my term. Hemulen Should you take the job of Private Secretary I would like critiques of each entry PMed to me in big writing. Morning Glory Home Secretary is the position I envisage for you. I'm still mulling over the key ingredient. I did think Bulls Pizzle had legs, but your sage advice on alienating the vegetarians did resonate after Mrs B administered my meds. How long do I get to choose an alternative?

Good morning Burt Blank You are just getting up and it is past my bed time.
Have you decided on an ingredient for the next challenge? I am looking forward to whatever crazy ingredient you may come up with.
Again congratulations.
Good morning Her Madge, yes I am an early riser wink wink. Our posts crossed, as you see my first choice was rejected by Madam Home Secretary. I'm now definitely erring on the side of patisserie. Sleep well Your Madge.

My notes and scores from 1.00 to 5.00 (= best) for each entry:

Puff pastry feta & onion pie by Windigo

A sterling entry as always, Windigo – a pro in cooking. I love the idea of simmering the onions in wine and combining them with feta cheese. A very pleasing combination of flavors. I’m just slightly concerned about the amount of liquid in the filling (albeit reduction) and the affect this might have on the puffiness of the pastry. On the other hand, there isn’t a big textual difference between sautéed and reduced onion and caramelized fruit which works well with puff pastry. Anyhow, in my opinion red wine is such a tense flavor that it partially runs down the subtle palate of puff pastry. All in all an adorable entry with tasty ingredients. Thank you, Windigo. Score: 4.50

Cornish Pasty by Yorky

Living in the Far East, I think it’s great that you keep up to your European roots, Yorky. The simplicity of the flavors and the beautiful shape and representation of the pasties made an impression. Despite the simmering for half an hour, the amount of liquid is a bit alarming in terms of the dough rising and cooking through but I guess Yorky’s version is supposed to produce a slightly saggier pastry (with a savory gravy on the side). I’ve never had a bite of Cornish Pasties but I definitely understand their popularity. However, I do find the combination of flavors a little mundane or commonplace. Cooked potatoes and carrots are mild and mushy and resemble puff pastry in taste (to some extent) so they are a rather indistinguishable part of the filling. In my view neither very mild nor very strong tastes interact well with puff pastry. Still, a wonderful dish I’ll surely cook at home. Thanks for the entry and for sharing the recipe, Yorky. Score: 4.50

Plum, Pear and Walnut diamond patterned rough puff Jalousie by Burt Blank
_
Burt Blank is slightly vague in his notes (recipe-wise) but there isn’t a particular need for quantities/volumes as the dish is simple. Simplicity is often the key to good food as ingredients retain their characteristics and reveal their original hues and flavors. I love the combination of lightly caramelized plums, fresh pears and walnuts. The sticky, caramelized plumbs interact with the covering pastry just right: they don’t soak it but they share a little of their fluids. Pears add subtlety and walnuts give a nice crunch. This time Burt Blank even nailed the presentation with the icing sugar, ice cream and everything. Well done, Burt Blank! The dough looks leafy, puffy and thoroughly cooked. In this entry, Burt Blank didn’t specify whether he made the dough himself or bought it ready made but that’s not an issue as I stated in the challenge assignment that the vis-à-vis between the dough and its accompaniments; the interaction, is the most important criteria of evaluation. A wonderful entry indeed. Thank you, Burt Blank. Score: 5.00

Wellington Cordon Bleu by Yorky

A nice entry and a precise recipe with a thorough showcase and informative images. The dish is appealing with familiar and generally liked ingredients. However, the original Cordon Bleu recipe might hold one advantage: the chicken gets a crispy coating and gets in immediate contact with the fatty batter which produces more flavor albeit – perhaps - less moisture. In this case the puffy dough hardly gives off any particular flavoring into the filling and vice versa; it’s the fatty and elastic cheese that rules, mingling with the buttery dough. I’m sure that the dish tastes great – especially with quality mustard and a generous pinch of pepper but I feel that the brawny taste of ham & cheese surpasses the subtle taste of puff pastry. Everything is nice but doesn’t form a wondrous combination. A great entry anyway. Thank you, Yorky. Score: 4.25

Chicken and porcini mushroom rough puff pastry pie by Burt Blank
_
Certainly a tasty dish; well done. I esteem Burt Blank’s effort in making his own rough puff and cooking the stock from scratch. The combination of chicken and porcini is delicious – but as in Yorky’s case – not particularly innovative. That doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t appreciate simplicity or personal tweaks; functional adjustments made to well-proven traditional recipes. Burt Blank probably added salt into the chicken stock after straining. I would have liked to know the amount of salt and additional spices if there were any. The chicken surely melts in the mouth after several hours of slow cooking. I really liked the description and the well-pondered idea of not soaking the pastry in excess moist. Unfortunately the rumpled cooked vegetables in the presentation remind me of defrosted veggies in our middle-school diner. Nevertheless a pleasing entry. Thank you, Burt Blank. Score: 4.25

Chicken Pocket Pie by The Late Night Gourmet

A rather light-textured dish with wonderful ingredients. I’m pleased with the way The Late Night Gourmet pays regard to health issues and other details. The presentation is very good and informative. The amount of vegetables is abundant but not overwhelming. Carrots and corn produce quite a lot of sweetness when combined. Herbes de Provence is a spice mixture I dislike because of excess savory herb and thyme. Sometimes even tarragon/dragoon – the spice I dislike the most - is included. A modicum of this spice mix works well with vegetables, though. A bit like in Windigo’s entry, I’m concerned about the amount of liquid in the filling despite thickening. Two cups of chicken stock equals almost half a liter (500 ml) so it takes time to reduce both the natural vegetable juices and the chicken stock. Because of the amount of liquid, the puff pastry coating inevitably leaks and gets wet on the bottom. A little egg brush on the top would have given a nice glaze. Still, a very pleasing entry. Thank you, The Late Night Gourmet. Score: 4.25

Wild Mushrooms in a mustard and cream sauce inside a puff pastry pillow by Burt Blank
_
The idea of filling pre-cooked puff pastry with sautéed mushrooms is good as the puff pastry dough rises to its maximum height and leafiness when baked alone; without filling. The fact that the only brief Burt Blank gives is to season the filling to taste with salt, pepper and some mustard is a bit undefined when thinking that this is primarily a recipe challenge. Still, I find the simplicity of the ingredients and the straightforward preparation method pleasant and consider the acidity of single cream-muddled mustard mild enough not to overpower the taste of mild mushrooms and puff pastry. Burt Blank could have been a bit more precise in describing the preparation. He could have pointed out the green herb used in the pic too - probably chopped parsley. Overall, I think creamy mushrooms and puff pastry work well together although the total amount of fat grows to a quantum. A good addition to the entries. Thank you, Burt Blank. Score: 4.00

Puff Pastry Pizza by caseydog

I love the idea of using puff pastry as pizza crust. The toppings are delicious, the presentation is appealing and the recipe is clear and informative. It’s good that caseydog mulls over the affect of moisture on the crust. I’m sure that this dish tastes great but I would maybe be careful in combining fatty cheese and pepperoni with fatty puff dough (calorie-wise). Puff dough has subtle sweetness because of the sugar of milk/lactose in butter. In my opinion, that doesn’t form a very tasty combination with naturally sweet tomato sauce so maybe I’d just stick to a traditional pizza crust (or a ready made frozen pizza bottom if in a hurry). A lovely entry anyway – and a good tip for baking a quick dish when having an itch for something sweet’n’savory with a lovely crunch. Thank you, caseydog. Score: 4.25

Spam Wellington by Burt Blank

There is nothing wrong in preparing convenience food or using canned goods at times – especially if you’re cooking for masses. In that sense, Burt Blank's entry is quite appropriate and functional. The fact that Burt Blank – once again – doesn’t go to details regarding his recipe baffles me a bit. ”Make mushroom duxelle”…hmm, welcome, Google search and mommy’s old cookbook. Duxelle isn’t a complicated mix to make but a clear list of ingredients, measures, approximate cooking time, quantity of servings and preparation details with images would be nice at least for rookies like me. There is variation in herbs and spices in Duxelles too. This is still a good addition to the entries – and the number of Burt’s versatile entries shows that the concept of the poisoned chalice (of judging) isn’t any less appealing to Burt than to other participants. Thank you for adding another recipe, Burt Blank. Score: 3.75

Gai Krapow (Thai Basil) Sausage Rolls by The Late Night Gourmet

Wow, this entry is a real cornucopia – and as Morning Glory brought up - represents fusion kitchen. I’ve never tasted soy-based and fermented gochujang sauce (at least knowingly) but apparently it isn’t hotter than (garlic and chili -based) sriracha as The Late Night Gourmet even added fresh chili pepper and still stated that the taste was rather mild. The filling seems tasty and wonderful. Breadcrumbs and egg are a good addition to the filling as they prevent liquids from soaking the puff pastry and allow it to cook thoroughly and form a leafy puff. My only concern – once again – is that the spicy filling overpowers the mild and sweet taste of puff pastry. Sometimes opposites work well together but in my opinion neither tomato nor sweet chili flavors go very well with puff pastry. Extra points for utilizing self-grown ingredients and assembling a neat and clear presentation with precise quantities and instructions. Thank you, The Late Night Gourmet. Score: 4.75

Fruit and Chestnut Wellington by Burt Blank

Another fruity entry from Burt Blank – and this time with rather precise dos and don’ts and informative images. I’d still like to see some measurements and quantities written down. The puff pastry looks absolutely stunning. The cooked pastry has a nice glaze from the apple juice, the dough has risen well and seems crispy and evenly cooked. The amount of filling is sumptuous - even superfluous in my view. Chestnuts roasting on an open fire… Chestnuts have a sweet and potato-like flavor which somewhat resembles the taste of puff pastry and mild nuts. For that reason I feel that chestnuts would taste better as a standalone dish or in a different assembly. As far as I can see, apples, cinnamon, sugar, walnuts and pears would have formed a sufficient filling with both juiciness and crunchy bits to chew. A luscious and delicious-looking entry at any rate. Thank you, Burt Blank. Score: 4.00

Vanilla Slice by murphyscreek
_
Murphyscreek sounds like Michael McDonald, yay. For the entry: I started drooling the minute he started mixing the custard. The recipe is simple and traditional but -oh- what a good one. The presentation video and listing is clear and explicit. I was a bit marvelled at the use of ready-made custard powder as the custard could very well have been made with just cornflour, sugar, milk, cream, vanilla extract and eggs. The puff pastry – the main ingredient in this challenge - plays a rather small role in this recipe; it acts as a rather indiscernible casing for the custard and topping. The pastry could have been cooked for some time longer to build a bit more puff and color. If kept in the refrigerator for several hours after baking, puff pastry loses its specific crispy and puffy character and turns into stiff and stodgy albeit soaked in vanilla custard and passion fruit coating. Passion fruit adds crisp sweetness and goes well with vanilla. I’m sure I’d enjoy this dish very much; it is a kind of shortcut for making traditional Napoleon cakes/tarts with millefeuille pastry. A very good entry. Thank you, murphyscreek , for sharing the recipe. Score: 4.75

Burnt caramel mince pastries by Windigo

Things happen when cooking… Fruit mix works well with puff pastry. Aniseed is an interesting choice for seasoning. I can taste the flavor of Pastis on the tip of my tongue. The pastry has been affected with the overflow but otherwise it looks well done, crispy and puffy. In this case, I guess the only shortcoming was leaving the roll cuts open from their sides and allowing the juicy liquids to pour over. Anyway, a nice addition to the entries. Thank you, Windigo. Score: 4.00

Mini Puff Pastry Rice Pies by MypinchofItaly

Nothing with pancetta or bacon passes by (me) unnoticed. Yum-yum. A delicious-looking entry from MypinchofItaly. The presentation and listing is spot on, as is the image. The handful of Parmesan could have been mentioned in the list of ingredients but as it nearly equates to salt and pepper in Italy, Parmigiano-Reggiano goes without saying. Subtle things like using only a select assortment of ingredients and adding a pinch of breadcrumbs to prevent the dough from soaking tell that the maker isn’t a newcomer when it comes to cooking. The main ingredients are pleasing and typical of Italy. Unfortunately, as I’ve stated in previous evaluations, I wouldn’t combine a tomato-based filling with puff pastry. Maybe the fact that Italians hardly ever add butter to tomato soup speaks its own language. The subtle sweetness and slight sourness (umami) of butter and tomatoes intermingle and somewhat eat each other out. On the other hand, rice absorbs and cuts down the sourness of tomatoes - and the savory pancetta and two types of cheese overcome the competing duo in sourness. The plentiful filling might overcome the taste of puff pastry but the end result acts well as a salty antipasto. The crust seems thoroughly and evenly cooked; not very fluffy (due to the fatty filling) but it has a wonderful glaze from the brushed egg. Puff pastry, pancetta and cheese: calorie-wise it’s probably best to eat just half a pie. Anyhow, a very good entry indeed. Thank you, MypinchofItaly. Score: 4.50

Bacon-Cheese Palmiers by TastyReuben

Well, well, this looks fantastic. Bacon goes well with cheese and honey, and rosemary is a superb herb which goes with almost everything. The cooking instructions are clear and the pic is beautiful. I like the fact that TastyReuben rolls the dough thinner to add crisp to these salty palmiers – or canapés (open-faced sandwiches aren’t canapés here, they’re just plain sandwiches). The baked pastry is leafy, thoroughly cooked and has a nice glaze and color. As before, I’m not that keen on adding fatty ingredients to a fatty dough. Additional olives make a very salty combo but TastyReuben adds honey butter to balance the flavors. A very good entry. Thank you, TastyReuben. Score: 4.50

Puff Pastry Burritos by Caseydog

Self-depending fusion recipes are always welcome. The presentation is clear and the dish looks delicious. Self made taco seasoning is a big bonus. I think it’s good that the filling doesn’t contain tomatoes. If the minced beef is low-fat (< 15% fat), it helps the crust to cook thoroughly and keep its puffiness. Draining after browning is another option to remove excess fat and fluids – and that was the case in this entry. Caseydog could have baked the burritos for a couple of minutes more (and maybe in a lower temperature, say 350-375°F), as the pastry dough seems slightly undercooked in the middle. An egg wash on top could have given some glaze but that’s not an issue. I checked the salsa on the side. It has five star ratings and contains no additives or preservatives. Good quality ready made products make things easier albeit they’re often high on carbs and sodium (the listed nutritional content is often based on a ridiculously small serving size). I love the idea of combining tense Mexican spices with puff pastry. The mild and soft taste of the crust might somewhat fall into oblivion, though. All in all a very pleasing entry. Thank you, caseydog. Score: 4.50

Greek-Style Puff Pastry Scallop Appetizers plus a Mini-Pie by Mountain Cat

A nice and surprising entry with clear instructions and good pics. I’ve never had scallops inside a baked crust although scallops are often combined with shrimps or other seafood in the Mediterranean and in the Aegean. The filling is not too moist and the strong flavors of feta cheese, bell pepper, scallion, capers, mint and oregano go well together. Eventually the tense flavors might outweigh the mild flavors of the puff pastry, spinach and sweet scallops. Sweet scallops tend to overcook easily as Mountain Cat points out, so in my view they are quite a challenging and expensive feedstock to be imbedded inside a baked crust with an abundance of ingredients. Cooked spinach with its hue of iron is often combined with scallops but in my opinion those two flavors resemble each other too much to work well together. The color of the cooked mini-muffins is very light and matt but the dough seems to have cooked throughly and looks crusty and puffy. The mini-pie has browned nicely, has risen well and has a lovely glaze. I wouldn’t add oil when pinching pastry pieces together as there is plenty of butter in the dough and the oil just creates a slippery film in between. Careful adjustments in the cooking time and temperature are important depending on the size of the pastries, as was mentioned in the entry. Eventually, this is an intriguing, tasteful and venturesome entry and a recipe which I’d certainly like to try sometime. Thank you, Mountain Cat. Score: 4.50

Lamb and Potato Curry Puffs by murphyscreek
_
Murphyscreek has created a tempting dish and taken wonderful pics of his crisp and golden pastries. The ingredients look delicious and the cooking instructions are clear and functional. I love how murphyscreek pays attention to the cooking times of individual spices and vegetables. Garlic, onion and lamb are a good match and curry leaves, mustard and fennel seeds, turmeric and ginger add a nice and mild boost to the traditional curry powder. The two potatoes absorb excess moist and keep the pastries well intact. The filling is robust to nature and could work on its own with additional fluid and rice on the side - but then the curry-flavored, wooly taste of lamb benefits from a mild puffy crust. The pastries seem evenly and thoroughly cooked, they look exceptionally leafy and have a nice glaze from the egg wash. All in all a very pleasing entry. These pastries would make a perfect packed lunch for picnic. Thank you, murphyscreek. Score: 4.75

Savoury Strudel by MypinchofItaly

An original and intriguing entry from MypinchofItaly. I love the combination of cheese and fruit in the filling but the use of thyme and red chicory/Radicchio makes me wonder. In my opinion thyme and red chicory share sharp bitterness and thus work well together as relative equals. When it comes to cheese, one or two counterbalance flavors instead of several would probably form a more composed assembly. The slightly buttery and nutty Asiago cheese counteracts with the puff pastry, thyme, chicory and fruit but I have doubts about the role of puff pastry in the compilation of several tense flavors. The puff pastry seems slightly undercooked on the bottom (probably due to moisture) but the top has risen well, looks leafy and crispy and has a good color. Roasted pine kernels are a beautiful and tasty addition but because of their distinct flavor they build up the magnitude of nuances. The presentation is clear and informative and the pic is beautiful. I’d really like to taste this entry. It may well be that the overall palate is very pleasant and the bitterness of Radicchio and the sourness of Asiago cheese is tamed down by the sweet raisins and apples in a balanced manner and the thyme and pine kernels just complete the ensemble. A bold and interesting entry. Thank you, MypinchofItaly. Score: 4.25

Savory Puff Pastry "Cookies" by Mountain Cat

A sweet entry full of Halloween spirit. Clear instructions. Puff pastry can definitely be used on its own or just with a little seasoning. A small amount of egg wash (without additional liquid) wouldn’t affect the rise or puff of the dough. The forms are adorable and the seasonings are befittingly variable. I wouldn’t add paprika (ground red pepper/bell pepper) to Berbere powder, though, as it contains paprika in itself. Allspice has a ”beefy” hue with fullness so it’s a good addition. Who wouldn’t like cocoa and cinnamon or a pinch of mild seeds and dill for flavor and crunch? The baked cookies look puffy and lovely and have a nice color. This is a good, simple idea. These cookies go with pretty much anything: they would lift the spirit with a glass of milk, lemonade, gluhwein or Christmas tea or with a bowl of bouillon/consommé. Thank you, Mountain Cat. Score: 3.50

Halloween Puff Pastry Faces with Cinnamon and Maple Syrup by MypinchofItaly

Another fun Halloween entry with simple ingredients and an adorable outcome. The design is self made, the pic is spot-on and the instructions are clear. Maple syrup and cinnamon are my favorites so extra points for that. Contrary to Mountain Cat, Mypinchofitaly has aimed for flatter, shiny cookies - and succeeded. The color of the cookie is deep golden, the glaze is wonderful and the drip of maple syrup adds to the bliss. I wouldn’t add icing sugar even on top (not even after cooling) as it would probably stick to the half-absorbed maple syrup and dissolve in no time. Cinnamon would give a nice touch, though. Thank you, Mypinchofitaly. Score: 3.50

Lamb Kidney Puff Pastries by Mountain Cat

A good looking entry with a less known main ingredient. I’ve never tasted lamb kidneys (and doubt that they’re availabe at the local butcher’s shop) so my evaluation is a bit blindfolded. I just have to trust Mountain Cat’s estimation of the taste. I love the simplicity and the use of Moroccan spice mix although I’m not a fan of cinnamon in savory (salty) dishes. The instructions are clear and the pics are informative. The dough is firmly sealed and the filling is dry enough to prevent the crust from absorbing moisture or leaking. The cooking method is orthodox resulting in puffy, thoroughly cooked and golden brown pastries. These pastries are filling enough to be served as a main course with e.g. fruity salad and sauerkraut on the side. Thank you, Mountain Cat, for sharing such a nice and original recipe. Score: 4.75

Chicken and Puff Pastry Shells by caseydog

A colorful, beautiful pic, nice ingredients, clear instructions and a pleasant combination of tastes in this entry. The puff pastry has quite a minor role, though: it seems a bit like crackers on the side; just a savory and fatty ingredient adding a little crunch. I like the way caseydog
describes the making of the chicken and roux but somehow the pic looks like the vegetables hadn’t been sautéed for long. The peas are bright green and the bell pepper and celery have kept their fresh look and firmness. It may have been caseydog’s intention to keep an al dente feel and not to overcook the veggies but to me the dish looks a bit undercooked. The filling is rather aqueous but in this case the juiciness and messiness is intentional. The golden, puffy and thoroughly cooked puff pastry shells are pre-prep so the pastry certainly won’t absorb the liquids as much as when cooked with the filling. A stroke of egg yolk and a minute or two in the oven would have given a nice shine but that’s not essential. I like the fact that seasoning has been kept to a minimum: no oriental spice mix or exotic hues. The mild and rather conventional veggies have a chance to sparkle and the taste of the filling doesn’t bat away the taste of puff pastry. The roast chicken is probably seasoned with somekind of barbecue mix so that with additional mushrooms adds a little flavor (can’t notice the mushrooms in the pic though). Kudos for making a tasty recipe out of chicken leftovers. The filling vaguely resembles Yorky’s Cornish Pastries with additional mushrooms, more cream and roast chicken instead of beef. A good entry once again. Thank you, caseydog. Score 4.25

Puff Pastry Roll with Artichokes and Smoked Salmon by MypinfcofItaly

An alluring dish with wonderful ingredients. The instructions are clear and the image is informative. The puff pastry seems thoroughly cooked and has a deep, golden color. The crust seems leafy and crispy despite a plentiful and moist filling. I love the idea of blending drained artichokes and combining them with thyme and smoked salmon. I’m not familiar with Crescenza cheese but after engrossing in the recipe and browsing on a few web sites I learned it is a very smooth and mild cow’s milk cheese produced in Northern Italy. Artichokes are usually canned in water or oil with ascorbic and citric acid. That adds to the tangy natural flavor of artichokes and produces a mild pickly taste. Puff pastry is buttery and fatty in texture; in case the artichokes are preserved in oil, Crescenza cheese would - in my opinion - be a rather unnecessary, fatty supplement inside a puff pastry crust with a flavour which resembles the tangy taste of artichokes. Neither artichokes, Crescenza nor thyme overrun the subtle flavors of smoked salmon and puff pastry and form a pleasant combination. On the other hand, the delicious combination of creamy artichokes with thyme, Crescenza/Stracchino cheese and smoked salmon would produce a tasty antipasti dish on their own; accompanied with plain bread and a splash of oil. In my view they do not really benefit from a buttery puff pastry crust on top. Altogether an excellent and delicious entry. Thank you, MypinchofItaly. Score 4.75

Easy honey apple puff pastry bake by Windigo

A delightfully simple and tasty recipe. No fuss but a delicious result. The recipe is rather widespread but I’m happy with Windigo taking note on the type of apples and mixing the fine apple slices with cinnamon and salt in a bowl instead of just sprinkling cinnamon on top. Honey topping instead of plain sugar is a healthy and tasty option as sweetener and a pinch of salt makes a difference. The instructions are clear and precise and the pic is elegant. It is a bit hard to assess whether the crust is thoroughly cooked from the pic but the back edge of the pastry looks puffy, leafy and golden brown and the apples have a perfect color. Thank you, Windigo! Score 4.25

Shrimp Puff Pastry Pies by ElizabethB

I’m hungry and just on my way to a local bistro to enjoy one of my favorite dishes: gratinated shrimp in creamy chili and tomato sauce – which gives a few extra points to this entry. The instructions are clear and to my eye the pastries seem lovely – especially the dinner pie with a pinch of thyme on top. There could have been one pic from the filling in making. The puff pastry seems thoroughly cooked, crispy, shiny and golden brown. The filling has not leaked or caused soaking. I love the way ElizabethB pays attention to the smallest details. The shrimp filling with onion, garlic, dairy and spices seems delicious and would go well with any side dish. Thyme and bay are subtle-flavored and nice additions although the hot pepper assumably overpowers the taste of bay leaf. I’m sure the pastries taste good and have a nice crunch. The only drawback is that generally shrimp shouldn’t be cooked in the oven for more than a couple of minutes. 25-30 minutes in the oven causes shrinking and toughness (to some extent) regardless of the creamy sauce and protective crust. Many chefs, Julia Child included, serve (or have served) shrimp baked in creamy sauce inside puff pastry. Still, I find that recipes with separately baked puff pastry and shrimp or shrimp sauce on the side (or added in between cut pastry after baking) work best – e.g. like in shrimp-filled croissants. On the other hand I’m not that familiar with fresh shrimp and the way in which it behaves in cooking; ElizabethB apparently is. Overall a very pleasing entry. Thank you, ElizabethB. Score 4.50

Mushroom, Red Onion & Balsamic Glazed Garlic Tarte Tatin by Morning Glory

A simple mushroom tart with wonderful flavors and an ingenious Tatin-flip principle. The crust protects the lush and proportionate filling but doesn’t get soaked in potential fluids. I love the ingredients except the balsamic, which, if you ask me, doesn’t go that well with puff pastry. In my opinion balsamic vinegar – even if only 3 teaspoons - is an unnecessary pickling agent which restrains the mild taste of mushrooms. A personal liking, but I prefer vinegar in one-at-a-time served or mixed pickled vegetables, fruit or mushrooms – not in sauces or fillings. Long term frying adds a great deal of sweetness to the onion. In that sense I think it’s a bit pointless to add sugar to the garlic. On the other hand, thyme has a tangy taste which balances the sweet, acidic and subtly nutty mushroom flavors and the savory, buttery crust tames the sour taste of balsamic vinegar. Overall, onion, garlic, chestnut mushrooms, thyme and puff pastry form an excellent combination. It’s just a matter of subjective preferences regarding the balsamic vinegar. A graceful entry. Thank you, Morning Glory. Score 4.75

Mushroom, Leek and Goat Cheese Mini Puff Pastry Tarts by ElizabethB

Enchanting little tarts with pretty similar ingredients as in Morning Glory’s previous entry. This is a saltier dish without syrup and containing goat’s cheese. ElizabethB uses white wine with mushrooms (instead of balsamic vinegar with garlic). The ingredients are superb and to my liking. Leak is soft in taste and doesn’t become syrupy when cooked. I love how ElizabethB pays attention to the chapters and particulars in cooking. The instructions are clear and the end result looks mouthwatering. A few more images would have been nice. Porcini mushrooms are a tasty addition, as is the use of their draining liquid. White wine has a tangy taste but it’s tamed down with e.g. heavy cream. Long-term simmering and APF keep the filling dry(ish); letting the puff pastry cook thoroughly and develop puffiness and leafiness. Acerbic thyme balances the tanginess of goat’s cheese - but goat’s cheese has such a bold flavor that it dominates the subtle tastes of puff pastry, mushrooms and leak. The quantity of cheese isn’t big in the recipe, though; and as goat’s cheese lacks the typical melting and extensibility of many cheese types, it goes well in pastries and tarts. I think that the pungent flavor of goat’s cheese would have been sufficient for a evoking a wow factor; there wouldn’t have been need for the sourness of white wine or sour cream. All in all an excellent dish. Thank you, ElizabethB. Score 4.75

Black Pudding, Confit Apple and Rhubarb Ketchup with Black Pastry Shards by Morning Glory

What a bomb! As far as I can see, this dish goes where no man has gone before. A wonderfully inventive entry from Morning Glory. The combination of flavors is intriguing. Pre-prep black pudding resembles the local black sausage so I have a hunch of the taste. The rhubarb ketchup seems something to die for. Bravo! I love the mix of vermouth, rhubarb and ginger: a combination sometimes used in wonderful cocktails. As for the black pudding, all tangy fruits (like apple) and berries go well with it – and so does rhubarb, ginger and a pinch of chili. Nasturtium leaves look beautiful but their taste is sharp and dominant. The discoloration of pastry dough with charcoal powder is a thrilling idea – sometimes seen in online puff pastry recipes and in Chinese (lotus seed paste filled) Moon Cake recipes. When used in small amounts, the mild smoky and sweet taste of bamboo powder doesn’t affect or dominate the basic flavors. In terms of the able-bodied colors, the magnicifent representation and the affable peculiarity of this dish, this entry should have been launched just prior to Halloween. Altogether a high-culinary, brilliant, aesthetically pleasing and venturesome entry. The only grievance is the small role of puff pastry and its interaction with other ingredients albeit the strong and beautiful color. Thank you, Morning Glory. Score 4.50

Sardine and Red Pepper Tart by Morning Glory

Yet another delicious entry. The idea of baking the crust partly in advance and then removing the lid is inventive. Fish like sardines taste wonderful with a dash of vinegar (sardine flavor is bold enough to withstand the tanginess of vinegar) and charred pepper, chilli flakes and capers are a tasteful addition. Once again I’m slightly concerned about the powerful hues in the filling. Does the taste of the puff pastry come through or is it more of a tamer or pedestal for the player of the leading role (= the filling)? I love the precision of the instructions, the ingredients and flavors of the filling and the wonderful pics. The crust isn’t soggy thanks to careful draining; it’s leafy, puffy and well-cooked Wild Mushrooms in a mustard and cream sauce inside a puff pastry pillow.

Sausage Roll Wreath by Morning Glory

A simple but stunning entry from Morning Glory. Setting, appearance and decoration play a relatively big role in food and cooking and Morning Glory surely knows how to prepare a wonderful and appealing dish. The crust looks absolutely lovely and the tiny hand made crust patterns are an adorable addition. Kudos for preparing such stunning details. The cranberry sauce/relish adds color and taste – and I think it’s good to serve it on the side instead of adding sweetness to the filling. I love the idea of dismantling the pre-prep/readymade sausages and adding extra spices. For some reason, juniper berries are close to my heart and I love their wooden taste – especially with meat. I’ve mostly used fennel seeds in fish dishes but I have no doubt their slightly anise-like taste would go well with pork too. I recall I’ve made a tasty dish with pork, fennel seeds and apple some time in the past. I love the plainness of this entry and the wonderful interaction between the relatively mild pork sausage and the crusty and golden puff pastry. Thank you, Morning Glory. Score 4.75

My humble thanks to everyone! 💞

(Edit: the missing review of Burt Blank's Wild Mushrooms in a mustard and cream sauce inside a puff pastry pillow entry, score: 4.00, added to the list)

Hemulen I’m very impressed by the tailored comments/impressions you did! I really liked and I had an external view that has given me the idea on how these recipes are considered. A big THANK YOU for this!

Just let me say that regarding Crescenza/Stracchino cheese, it’s slightly acidic yet sweet and mild, thus I thought it would have been just perfect with artichokes in olive oil and so with the smoked salmon.
About the mini rice pies, haha, you are definitely right! For Italians, Parmesan is like salt and pepper but that it has been only a forgetfulness by my side not writing it up among the ingredients (I’m a distracted person, that’s a thing! 😅)

No huge rush but it would be good to settle it today sometime. I thought you might go for Spam! There are quite a few ingredients which haven't been chosen or haven't been chosen for years.
I thought I made it quite clear by PM that as you are a winner of a national Spam recipe competition your bribe needs to be more substantial for my acquiescence.

Did I ....oh yes I remember. Any crustacean that does not spend more than 50% of it life in fresh or sea water is ineligible. I'm thinking of armadillo's, wood lice and Klingon's
1605008231518.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom