The CookingBites recipe challenge: quinoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:43 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is quinoa and JAS_OH1 is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe using quinoa*, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge.

Deadline: 12.00 midday Wednesday 12th May, UK time (GMT +1). Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here

*recipes must be posted within the time frame of the current challenge.

Last edited:
I've got a chile relleno type recipe made with quinoa that I thought was really good, but Craig won't eat because of the texture of the quinoa. I even made it twice because I had never made quinoa the first time we tried it and it was a bit bitter because I didn't wash it enough, but it still had the texture issue for him even the second time. So, if anybody wants it, let me know.

BTW, make sure you wash it really, really well, even if packaging says it's prewashed. One of my aunts was a vegetarian, then vegan nearly her entire life and she is the 1 who told me about washing and washing and washing some more to get rid of the bitterness.

I've got a chile relleno type recipe made with quinoa that I thought was really good, but Craig won't eat because of the texture of the quinoa. I even made it twice because I had never made quinoa the first time we tried it and it was a bit bitter because I didn't wash it enough, but it still had the texture issue for him even the second time. So, if anybody wants it, let me know.

BTW, make sure you wash it really, really well, even if packaging says it's prewashed. One of my aunts was a vegetarian, then vegan nearly her entire life and she is the 1 who told me about washing and washing and washing some more to get rid of the bitterness.

I've used quinoa quite a lot and never noticed any bitterness. And I didn't wash it at all! :scratchhead:

Got my shopping list together...

Quinoa
Kale
Tofu
Ground beef
Vegan ground beef substitute
Chickpeas
Tofu
Kefer
Pork chops
Vegan pork substitute
Kelp (the new kale)
Microgreens
Cheese
Vegan cheese
Avocado Oil

CD

Last edited:
...I just learned:

The grains are coated with a natural compound called saponins, which can taste soapy or bitter—which is their purpose. Saponins prevent animals, birds, and other creatures from eating quinoa in the wild. Some people are particularly sensitive to saponins, which is why unrinsed cooked quinoa has a reputation for tasting bitter.

This Is Really What Happens If You Don’t Rinse Quinoa

I've used quinoa quite a lot and never noticed any bitterness. And I didn't wash it at all! :scratchhead:

I know you like bitter flavors, but can't believe you didn't taste it because it was really strong and predominate even over Chipotle peppers in the dish. Maybe it's prewashed more thoroughly over there?

I know you like bitter flavors, but can't believe you didn't taste it because it was really strong and predominate even over Chipotle peppers in the dish. Maybe it's prewashed more thoroughly over there.

See quote above - maybe you are one of those people who are particularly sensitive?

But how many are commercially used? When medtran49's aunt told her to wash all the quinoa, no matter from which company it could be anything, the sort, the genes or as you said the sort. Interesting question, indeed.
Stay healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom