The CookingBites recipe challenge: quinoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no, what happened to your poor finger?

Just checked what I have in the way of quinoa in my pantry.

Two small packs of white quinoa. The one, however, had to be thrown out. All sorts of buggy things living in there. Seriously sad, and seriously gone - unfortunately no trash deposits until next Saturday. We have to hope the buggies stay in the trash!

The other pack/cannister is fine.

I just ordered some red and some black quinoa. I'd like to try a taste-test comparison in a salad after I cook all three up.

PS - I use my rice cooker to cook my quinoa! Less variables.

If there are not a lot of buggy things, do as with rice, freeze the quinoa.

I could only find white quinoa on the store shelves today. I may have to order red and black.

If there are not a lot of buggy things, do as with rice, freeze the quinoa.

I could only find white quinoa on the store shelves today. I may have to order red and black.
Your local healthy supermarket should have some (Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc.).

Ok, over and out.

Congrats for winning the previous challenge, JAS_OH1!

Funny enough, I have to postpone my return to jovial (hotblooded) cooking (challenge rivalry) even further (I could have made a few sets of burgers but I was lazy). I still have some 150 veneer pics to render and quinoa happens to be the one and only food item I have to avoid (quinoa-specific saponin intolerance).

Good luck and happy cooking.

That's a shame. I've missed your innovative and entertaining contributions.

Hell, I've never used quinoa before - or ate it. How am I supposed to know what counts as an excessive lot? :rolleyes:
Well it's not expensive, at least. But think of it like rice. It swells up with water when cooked and doubles in size, so a little goes a long way. It's more nutritious with higher protein and more fibrous than rice, so it's very filling, and again, a little goes a long way.

It will keep in its uncooked form in airtight containers quite well.

I found this:

Quinoa vodka:

1618907249674.png

Considered as the most sustainable vodka in the market this award-winning vodka has a great taste coming from specially selected quinoa sourced in Andes, Bolivia. Our quinoa is Fairtrade certified and organically grown to ensure we have the best grain in the world.

Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegan, gluten free and gmo free.

Please tel me more about using a rice cooker for quinoa. Do you do anything different than you would with rice?

CD
I use the same liquid to quinoa ratio as it says on the quinoa package. No adjustments for that. I use the Regular/Sushi rice setting on my cooker.

My red quinoa comes in on Thursday, the black by next Monday or Tuesday. so my combination salad won't be made until next week sometime. I am planning on that being vegan.

However, I was out today and dropped into the somewhat overpriced foodie market where (besides seeing all three types of quinoa there, but hey, I already ordered a pound of each... so they still sit there...) I checked out the seafood counter. I was hoping for crawfish on a lark - the western side of Massachusetts is not really known for a good variety of seafood - but found soft shelled crabs, instead. I bought two.

So, either tonight or for lunch tomorrow, I will be eating a seafood salad with soft shelled crab, shrimp, and white quinoa. (And a couple other ingredients I feel like adding in.)

For those in places that may not have heard of soft shelled crabs, these are crabs that have recently shed their shells so they can grow larger - underneath the lost hard shells is the tissue that will eventually harden into a hard shell you need nut crackers or similar implements of destruction to open. The ones I know of are generally (if not always?) from the Chesapeake Bay (roughly, Maryland, on the mid-Atlantic coast of the US). The soft shells are still soft enough that they are actually edible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom