The CookingBites recipe challenge: quinoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
To make it taste of anything much you need to cook it in stock really. Also, I wonder how long you cooked it for. It shouldn't turn mushy unless that is what you wanted to achieve. No pics?

I just used water for this first cook. I wouldn't exactly call it mushy -- and I followed all the directions to the letter. No pics -- it was plain white quinoa.

This first cook was really just about seeing what I had to work with, having never cooked, or even eaten quinoa before.

CD

First ken-o-a recipe now uploaded. ER, quinoa!

As a note, both the red and black quinoa arrived last evening, but this one is just with the white variant. It looks darker because of the broth I cooked it with.

Seafood Salad with Soft Shell Crab, Shrimp, Quinoa and Fennel

crab-served.jpg

Last edited:
Your link to the recipe is incorrect. It links to the recipe group that contains your recipe and not the recipe itself.

FYI--quinoa is pronounced: keen-wah.
I get my second vaccine dose this afternoon. I plan to go the store on the way home. I'll buy some quinoa. I've been reading and watching YouTube videos on how to properly cook it. I'll give it a try. I will either like it, or not.

CD
Did you get sick at all from your 2nd dose? I got a bit loopy from it, sore and mental fog, no appetite.

I've heard Julia Child pronounce it that way.

Julia also pronounces oregano the English way, rather than American.

We've been watching reruns of old Emeril shows on the DABL channel. I can't believe how many words he mispronounces. Today, he dumped olive oil in water to boil pasta. He also was a forerunner to Bobby Flay's, "well browned," when it's actually burnt/black.

My daughter called me 1 day to ask if I had ever used qui-no-ah. I was like "what?" She pronounced it again, and said it's a grain, then a light bulb went off. They didn't like it very much.
When I first found recipes with quinoa in them, I'd seen them online. I'd never heard the word pronounced.

I get to work, one day and at lunch, a couple tablemates were talking about this weird grain named "keen-wha". I was - WHAT is THAT??

About fifteen minutes later, I finally recognized what they ware talking about - quinoa. Keen-wha would be the proper native pronunciation from it's South/Central American heritage, and is also the proper pronunciation elsewhere. I do note that even though I pronounce the word properly nowadays, in order to spell it properly, I mentally call it "kin-o-a", remembering it starts with a "q". Sort of how in order to spell the scientific name of purple coneflower, I mentally call it "E-China-Sea" when I do always verbally pronounce that one "Eh-kin-a-shia".

I'm going to take a note from Murphy's playbook when the recipes are posted and not hit any "like" buttons on them, but I will still be checking in on this thread regularly. Happy quinoa cooking, everyone!
Just wanted to make sure everyone knows, no matter how much I love your recipes, no "like" buttons, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom