The CookingBites recipe challenge: quinoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recipe - Filet Mignon and Garlic Butter Quinoa and Peppercorn Cognac Sauce

Vegans LOVE quinoa, but I'm not a vegan, so I improvised. I cooked a USDA Choice Filet Mignon sous vide to just shy of medium rare, and finished it with a sear in a cast iron pan with olive oil and butter. I used the same pan and drippings to make a peppercorn cognac sauce.

Oh yeah, the quinoa. I cooked it as per directions, then added copious amounts of butter and garlic to it. That alone was not bad at all, and even better with some of the peppercorn sauce. I made too much, so I have a lot leftover that I can snack on it in the next few days. It keeps well in the fridge and reheats well in the microwave.

FiletQuinoa001.jpg

CD

Last edited:
I've been window shopping, looking at different quinoa offers, will decide this weekend which q I get...so far I've only seen white...very curious about the red and black...
I don't really think it makes much a difference (any?) in taste, only in visual appeal. I always cooked mine with broth and other ingredients so I didn't notice a difference in flavor. But if it's not something you think you will be eating a lot of in the future, don't trouble yourself too much.

I don't really think it makes much a difference (any?) in taste, only in visual appeal. I always cooked mine with broth and other ingredients so I didn't notice a difference in flavor. But if it's not something you think you will be eating a lot of in the future, don't trouble yourself too much.
I got the black quinoa. Interesting it wouldnot taste differently.🤔 Anyways, I like the idea of black...perhaps because it is new to me😊
Just got back from my 4 km walk, and am enjoying the relaxation with some radio music.
Probably next weekend I will do the challenge cooking.
Until then, brainstorming.😊

Mine is always cooked in broth and mixed with so much other stuff that I can't tell. Or maybe you just have more discerning taste buds than I do!

Quinoa need not be melded into sauces, soups or other things. It can be used as a free element in recipes, like the quinoa, beef and bean wrap recipe that I just posted.

Mine is always cooked in broth and mixed with so much other stuff that I can't tell. Or maybe you just have more discerning taste buds than I do!

Who knows? medtran49 has had bad experiences of bitter tasting quinoa but I haven't had that at all (and I don't even wash it). Maybe the quality and type across the world varies. I have some UK grown quinoa which I'm trying out soon.

Quinoa need not be melded into sauces, soups or other things. It can be used as a free element in recipes, like the quinoa, beef and bean wrap recipe that I just posted.
I never said it needed to be melded into a sauce or soup (never made a sauce with it though). I've eaten it in many forms, including but not limited to sandwiches, wraps, and salads. I've been eating it on a fairly regular basis since around 2016. I usually buy the tricolor blend from Earth Fare (healthy grocery store).

Edited to add that just because I cook it in broth does not mean I am eating it in soup. I cook it in broth and then add it to salads, etc. or as a side dish.

Last edited:
Who knows? medtran49 has had bad experiences of bitter tasting quinoa but I haven't had that at all (and I don't even wash it). Maybe the quality and type across the world varies. I have some UK grown quinoa which I'm trying out soon.
I heard it's not hard to grow. I just don't know how easy it would be to harvest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom