The CookingBites recipe challenge: quinoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
0A8977F8-CB77-41E9-8D96-1E1BC072DE38.jpeg

Quinoa Stuffed Quinoa Ravioli. In the continuing adventures of Things You Can Do With Quinoa, I ground quinoa to use as a flour, made a pasta dough, and stuffed it with tricolor quinoa, prosciutto, and spinach. It was a serious pain in the butt to make, because quinoa flour does not behave quite the same as all purpose flour, but I’m glad I did it.

Last edited:
Tried cooking about 100 g of the black quinoa this evening, just to test how it behaves.
When I washed the q, it felt light under the fingers, almost like chia seeds.
Added 2 bay leaves and two pinches of salt to the preboiled water.

The first eye test was a bit strange, the white c-form thingies made me wonder. At first I thought is that q shoots?
I still don't know. Exp date is 2023...

Cooked it for 25 min, it grew in volume. Put a lid on so it steamed for additional 20 min, it absorbed all of the water. Q to water ratio was 1:3 roughly, def more than 1:2. Eyemeasured.

The skin separates, the translucent inner expands.

I like how it tastes, rather neutral, hint of the bay is nice,very thin to chew on, feeling the skin. I combined a spoonful with the leftover peanut/soy sauce, it tasted very nice!

I put it in the fridge for now and will try some combinations tomorrow.

View attachment 62325

Quinoa Stuffed Quinoa Ravioli.
In the continuing adventures of Things You Can Do With Quinoa, I ground quinoa to use as a flour, made a pasta dough, and stuffed it with tricolor quinoa, prosciutto, and spinach. It was a serious pain in the butt to make, because quinoa flour does not behave quite the same as all purpose flour, but I’m glad I did it.
Wow, that looks deeelicious!

Tried cooking about 100 g of the black quinoa this evening, just to test how it behaves.
When I washed the q, it felt light under the fingers, almost like chia seeds.
Added 2 bay leaves and two pinches of salt to the preboiled water.

The first eye test was a bit strange, the white c-form thingies made me wonder. At first I thought is that q shoots?
I still don't know. Exp date is 2023...

Cooked it for 25 min, it grew in volume. Put a lid on so it steamed for additional 20 min, it absorbed all of the water. Q to water ratio was 1:3 roughly, def more than 1:2. Eyemeasured.

The skin separates, the translucent inner expands.

I like how it tastes, rather neutral, hint of the bay is nice,very thin to chew on, feeling the skin. I combined a spoonful with the leftover peanut/soy sauce, it tasted very nice!

I put it in the fridge for now and will try some combinations tomorrow.

View attachment 62337

View attachment 62338

The curly thingies are normal.

Recipe - Quinoa Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise Sauce.

This one just kind of came out of left field. I saw a photo of an eggs Benedict I did years ago, and wondered, What if???

This entry was more work than my other two entries... combined. The "English Muffin" on the bottom took three rounds to get right. The rest was not hard, but messy.

Basically, there is a quinoa patty formed and pan fried like a potato pancake. On top of that is some home-cured Canadian bacon (back bacon) I had in the fridge. On top of that was a poached egg. On top of that was a hollandaise sauce.

QuinoaBenedict005.jpg

I made a test patty for the third round, and on its own, it was actually quite good. It would make a good side in place of something like hash browns.

CD

Last edited:
Quinoa Benedict? (Recipe thread in progress -- as soon as I clean the kitchen)

This one just kind of came out of left field. I saw a photo of an eggs Benedict I did years ago, and wondered, What if???

This entry was more work than my other two entries... combined. The "English Muffin" on the bottom took three rounds to get right. The rest was not hard, but messy.

Basically, there is a quinoa patty formed and pan fried like a potato pancake. On top of that is some home-cured Canadian bacon (back bacon) I had in the fridge. On top of that was a poached egg. On top of that was a hollandaise sauce.

View attachment 62347

I made a test patty for the third round, and on its own, it was actually quite good. It would make a good side in place of something like hash browns.

CD
Looks great!
I 'd love the patty for sure.
Hollandaise is something I strive to learn, good job!
Was it filling?

Looks great!
I 'd love the patty for sure.
Hollandaise is something I strive to learn, good job!
Was it filling?

When you consider how much I ate in the development of this dish, I won't need to eat anything for a while. :laugh:

Eggs Benedict is often served in twos. That is very filling.

CD

View attachment 62325

Quinoa Stuffed Quinoa Ravioli. In the continuing adventures of Things You Can Do With Quinoa, I ground quinoa to use as a flour, made a pasta dough, and stuffed it with tricolor quinoa, prosciutto, and spinach. It was a serious pain in the butt to make, because quinoa flour does not behave quite the same as all purpose flour, but I’m glad I did it.

Yes, there is definitely a learning curve to using quinoa as you would something else. Looks like we both learned that the hard way. :facepalm:

CD

When you consider how much I ate in the development of this dish, I won't need to eat anything for a while. :laugh:

Eggs Benedict is often served in twos. That is very filling.

CD
Oh that is cool😂
Nice, so it could also be an independent dish. Good job!

Yes, there is definitely a learning curve to using quinoa as you would something else. Looks like we both learned that the hard way. :facepalm:

CD
I like discovering new things in food preparation. Sometimes, I don’t like what I discover, but the discovery itself is always interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom