The CookingBites recipe challenge: quinoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps we should have a seafood thread - types, availability, price, etc.
Back to Quinoa. I have a recipe in mind that is protein heavy. If I serve G a meal without some sort of animal protein his first objection will be a lack of protein. I have to create a dish that is plant protein heavy. Quinoa and beans. G is out of town until tomorrow so I will serve him a plant based protein diner. Maybe Lacto Vegetarian or Ovo Vegetarian or a combination of Lacto and Ovo vegetarian. Look at this Omnivore/Carnivore considering a vegetarian meal. :hyper:

Back to Quinoa. I have a recipe in mind that is protein heavy. If I serve G a meal without some sort of animal protein his first objection will be a lack of protein. I have to create a dish that is plant protein heavy. Quinoa and beans. G is out of town until tomorrow so I will serve him a plant based protein diner. Maybe Lacto Vegetarian or Ovo Vegetarian or a combination of Lacto and Ovo vegetarian. Look at this Omnivore/Carnivore considering a vegetarian meal. :hyper:

The strange thing about quinoa is that it is protein heavy (unlike rice) so you really don't need to add loads of protein to get a balanced meal. You might have a hard time convincing G of that though!

Sounds lovely.
Had to laugh because the post just had this good funny vibe.

Yes, it is kind of funny. Getting my carnivorous man to embrace plant based protein is a challenge.

I look at PBP as extra protein. I'm not giving up meat if I don't have to. I have been trying to eat more vegetables, but not for protein.

EB, if you have a good recipe for cajun red beans and rice, you should try that with white quinoa.

CD

I look at PBP as extra protein. I'm not giving up meat if I don't have to. I have been trying to eat more vegetables, but not for protein.

CD
That's good, since most veggies are not high in protein. Avocado and asparagus are 2 that come to mind that are (but avocado might be a fruit?). But many grains, legumes, and similar plants are high in protein.

EB, if you have a good recipe for cajun red beans and rice, you should try that with white quinoa.

CD
Been trying to figure out what PBP is, peanut butter and prunes? :laugh:

Well, I made some quinoa. Good news, it didn't taste bitter. It didn't taste like anything, actually. The closest thing to taste and texture to me would be plain oatmeal. But, it kinda' smelled like boiled/steamed corn.

I took a prep bowl, and put some butter, salt and pepper on some quinoa, and it tasted like oatmeal with butter, salt and pepper. I then tried some quinoa with maple syrup. It tasted like oatmeal with maple syrup.

So, it is basically a filler, like rice, that smells like corn, with a taste and texture like oatmeal.

CD

Well, I made some quinoa. Good news, it didn't taste bitter. It didn't taste like anything, actually. The closest thing to taste and texture to me would be plain oatmeal. But, it kinda' smelled like boiled/steamed corn.

I took a prep bowl, and put some butter, salt and pepper on some quinoa, and it tasted like oatmeal with butter, salt and pepper. I then tried some quinoa with maple syrup. It tasted like oatmeal with maple syrup.

So, it is basically a filler, like rice, that smells like corn, with a taste and texture like oatmeal.

CD
A lot like grits, rice, etc.

CD

To make it taste of anything much you need to cook it in stock really. Also, I wonder how long you cooked it for. It shouldn't turn mushy unless that is what you wanted to achieve. No pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom