The CookingBites recipe challenge: quinoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll get another cheese and pretend it's cheddar :laugh:
I did a quick five-minute check, and yeah, cheddar is hard to find there. That does kind of amaze me, because it's so common here, and of course, the UK is right up the road from you, so to speak. I'd have expected it to be fairly easy to get anywhere in Europe.

Maybe Italy has such good cheeses of their own, they don't really need it. :)

That is exactly why. Plus, countries like Italy and France favour their own produce in general. You won't find nearly so many imported products in Italy & France (possibly Croatia too) as you would in the UK.

I did a quick five-minute check, and yeah, cheddar is hard to find there. That does kind of amaze me, because it's so common here, and of course, the UK is right up the road from you, so to speak. I'd have expected it to be fairly easy to get anywhere in Europe.

I don't know what the criteria are, but I remember finding sliced cheddar quite a while ago and taking it, as well as Stilton. Then the cheddar disappeared from the shelves. I'll take another look or maybe Lidl can help me too.

Update: Not sure I'll get around to that thing on my mind, but I need to say something... I was wrong.

When quinoa was chosen as the ingredient for this challenge, my reaction was pretty negative. I made some comments about quinoa, tofu, kale and seaweed. My opinion of tofu, kale and seaweed have not changed, but my opinion quinoa has.

I just ate some leftover quinoa heated in the microwave with some good maple syrup poured over it for breakfast. I ate one small bowl of it, and then made a second bowl.

Consider this my quinoa mea culpa. If someone reads this who hasn't tried quinoa, try it. On it's own, it doesn't taste like anything. It is a blank canvas. But, there is a lot you can do with it.

BTW, I am NOT becoming a vegan. But, I will be keeping quinoa in my pantry.

CD
I actually had three recipes but missed the deadline. I am a Quinoa convert. It will not be a daily ingredient but an alternative. I like the texture and the mild taste lends itself to absorbing flavors from many ingredients. I was shocked that G enjoyed my Quinoa dishes as much as he did. This was a good challenge. I have to pay more attention to deadlines.

I actually had three recipes but missed the deadline. I am a Quinoa convert. It will not be a daily ingredient but an alternative. I like the texture and the mild taste lends itself to absorbing flavors from many ingredients. I was shocked that G enjoyed my Quinoa dishes as much as he did. This was a good challenge. I have to pay more attention to deadlines.
You can use it just about anywhere you would use rice but get that extra protein for G. I am so glad he liked it!

I bet he would like caseydog's shrimp and cheesy quinoa ("grits"). Throw some "Slap ya Mama" on it and anyone from Louisiana or SE Texas would dig right in! In fact, I think it would be superior to grits. Just sayin'. Oooh, what about fried catfish with cheesy quinoa? Yummmmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom