The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Tahini

Status
Not open for further replies.
02F9430F-E7FF-45A4-9FAE-06539975C5C4.jpeg

Brussels Sprouts Salad with Tahini Lime Dressing. I really love this salad. It’s been a long time since I’ve said that about something I’ve prepared. My only regret is I made too large a preparation. I wanted to use the dressing for something else.

I will definitely make it again, maybe tomorrow. It’s a beautiful salad, with brussels sprouts, Granny Smith apples, carrots, and red bell peppers. I went heavy on the tahini and lime juice, with garlic and an extra special Berber chaser.

And, it is a simple preparation. I decided to spiralize the apple, and decided at the last minute not to add corn.

That’s practically the recipe right there. Ha...just remembered that I forgot to add the recipe link! It's there now.

Last edited:
Not for the contest, because it's just hummus, but sticking a pic here because it's got tahini in it:

I have been making Hummus every week. G took some to the lake. Step Son had to have the recipe. I brought some to Sister - recipe requested. Mom, Brother and Niece had some - recipe requested. G brought a small container with him on two fishing trips with friends - they both had to have the recipe. I can not believe that I have lived this long without making my own Hummus.

I have been making Hummus every week. G took some to the lake. Step Son had to have the recipe. I brought some to Sister - recipe requested. Mom, Brother and Niece had some - recipe requested. G brought a small container with him on two fishing trips with friends - they both had to have the recipe. I can not believe that I have lived this long without making my own Hummus.
My wife loves that stuff, she'd eat it every day. Me...I'm very ambivalent about it. I don't hate it, but I don't get all the raving about it, either.

Maybe because around here, I still think of it as a food fad. There was no hummus here when I was a kid, or a teen, or a young adult, or a proper adult.

Then, one day about 15 years ago, everybody started talking about hummus, and it was always in a condescending tone, "You mean you've never had hummus? Oh, what's wrong with you?!?! I simply adore hummus!" - and the first time they had it was the week before when they were similarly shamed by someone else. :laugh:

My wife loves that stuff, she'd eat it every day. Me...I'm very ambivalent about it. I don't hate it, but I don't get all the raving about it, either.

Maybe because around here, I still think of it as a food fad. There was no hummus here when I was a kid, or a teen, or a young adult, or a proper adult.

Then, one day about 15 years ago, everybody started talking about hummus, and it was always in a condescending tone, "You mean you've never had hummus? Oh, what's wrong with you?!?! I simply adore hummus!" - and the first time they had it was the week before when they were similarly shamed by someone else. :laugh:
Try making your own and adding a ton of roasted garlic OMG yum. If it doesn't win you over, at least your wife will be pleased.

I've only just got into it as well from daughter being here. Pumpkin one is amazing.

Russ

Try making your own and adding a ton of roasted garlic OMG yum. If it doesn't win you over, at least your wife will be pleased.
I've only ever had my own homemade hummus, or restaurant hummus, and I always double the garlic in any recipe that calls for garlic, so I think I'm already doing that.

I make it probably once a month, and I eat it, but I certainly don't flip over it.

It's the roasted garlic. It has that smooth, creamy texture that brings it to an extra dimension, and that lovely roasted garlic flavour. And I am talking about a LOT of garlic!!! Roasted garlic with olive oil and salt and some seasonings slathered on pita bread is heavenly by itself, but it really does make a difference with the hummus.

I have a couple ideas, and I will see what I end up making... It will be today or tomorrow.

I picked up two jars of tahini last Friday - one is the regular Lebanese tahini, and the other is a Harissa tahini. I'll cook my contribution with the regular, and if I've time to make a second... I'll think about the Harissa one. (I suspect I won't.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom