The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Nov 2015-June 2017

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:40 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Congratulations go to @SatNavSaysStraightOn who won the ingredient challenge "Chocolate" with her recipes for Chocolate Cashew nut cream, Bitter Chocolate Pasta (Pasta di Cacao) and Sweet Chocolate Pasta (Pasta di Cacao) and has chosen garden peas, shelled or unshelled, fresh, frozen or tinned (even dried) but they must be garden peas. A deadline of Wednesday 12th July 2017 at midday (BST, GMT+1) has been set.

1200px-Peas_in_pods_-_Studio.jpg

---------------------------------------

A Reminder of the "Rules" (revised May 2017)

• You must post up the recipe here on CookingBites during the time frame of the competition (no screenshots of or links to recipes on other sites other than crediting is permitted).
  • The recipe must contain the ingredient specified in the challenge. :o_o:
  • The recipe must have the 'recipe' prefix and the 'CookingBites recipe challenge' tag. It should also have the correct normal tags so the recipe below would have the 'chicken' and 'lemons' tags at a minimum.

upload_2017-5-27_10-53-46.png
  • The recipe must be linked to in this thread to indicate participation in the current recipe challenge.
  • (New) Cooking the recipe is optional, though it is encouraged.
  • (New) Photographs are optional, but encouraged.
  • To include everyone in any challenge, a suitable vegetarian/vegan/allergy free/intolerance free substitution will be permitted if the challenge ingredient is something a participant can not or does not eat, for whatever reason. What is permitted is up to the current challenge judge to decide on.
  • (New) In the event that an ingredient is unavailable regionally, substitutions should be agreed with the judge.
  • The judge's decision is final and the new winner will select the next ingredient and the time frame... :scratchhead:
  • And finally, as always, in the event of a dispute the site owner has the final say.:cool:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List of previous winners, winning recipe and the challenge ingredient they chose.

All of the winning recipes can be found here, under the tag "CB Challenge Winning Recipes".

@SatNavSaysStraightOn who with her recipes for Chocolate Cashew nut cream, Bitter Chocolate Pasta (Pasta di Cacao) and Sweet Chocolate Pasta (Pasta di Cacao) and has chose garden peas
@classic33 who won with a recipe for Wild Mushroom Pudding and chose Lemons (any part of a fresh (natural and unprocessed) lemon)
@Ken Natton who won with a recipe for Pork and Black Pudding Patty on a Chive Potato Cake with Mustard Sauce and chose Mushrooms
@morning glory who won with a recipe for Saffron Semolina with Berries and chose Potatoes (any type including sweet potatoes)
@Elawin who won with a recipe for Cauliflower, Courgette [Zucchini] and Leek Lasagne and chose Semolina
@alexander who won with a recipe for Chicken roasted with artichokes and mushrooms and chose Cauliflower
@MypinchofItaly who won with a recipe for My risotto with spinach and taleggio cheese and chose Globe Artichokes
@jennyb who won with a recipe for Oat Cakes and chose Spinach
@Kake Lover who won with recipes for Cauliflower cheese soufflé and Cheese and Onion Pie and chose Oats
@MrsDangermouse who won with a recipe for Rhubarb Eton Mess and chose Cheese (including vegan cheese).
@classic33 who won with the recipe for Marmite Noodle Soup and its Variations.and chose Rhubarb
@Kake Lover who won with the recipe for Bubble and Squeak and chose Marmite, or an equivalent yeast extract.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with the recipe for Tempeh, Leek and Mushroom Pie and chose Brussels Sprouts
@Cinisajoy who won with the recipe Cindy's Take on Jambalaya and chose Turkey/Chicken/Cornish Game Hen (Poussin) or any vegetarian alternative such as Tofu/Tempeh/Quorn
@Yorky who won with a recipe for Duck Egg Sambal and chose Prawns/Shrimp/Crayfish
@morning glory who won with a recipe for Self Devouring Salad
and chose Eggs (any type)
@Caribbean girl who won a recipe for Ginger and Cilantro Baked Tilapia and chose Sweetcorn (any form).
@Smokeydoke who won with a recipe for a Light Apricot Cake and chose Ginger (any form).
@classic33 who won with a recipe for Guinness, Beef, Brown Rice and Mushroom Stew and chose Apricots (any form).
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with a recipe for Creamy Courgette Soup and chose rice.
@winterybella who won with a recipe for Caramelised Onion, Bacon and Spinach Pizza and chose Courgettes (Zucchini)
@classic33 who won with a recipe for Orange Drizzle Loaf Cake and chose Bulb Onions.
@Caribbean girl who won with a recipe for Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Cookies and chose Oranges
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with a recipe for Roasted Garlic, Parsnip and White Bean Soup and chose Cinnamon or Cassia Bark.
@morning glory who won a recipe for a Tomato, Goat's Cheese and Brie Tart and chose Beans or Chickpeas.
@epicuric who won with a recipe for Wholewheat fusilli with roasted vegetables and chose tomatoes.
@winterybella won with a recipe for Tuscan Garlic Chicken and chose pasta.
@morning glory won with a recipe for her Prosciutto, Watermelon and Hearts of Palm and chose chicken.
@Elawin won with a recipe for Beefburgers and chose melon.
@zoribrida won with a Red Lentils recipe and she chose ground beef.
@morning glory won with a Pumpkin and Marrow Tagine recipe and she chose lentils.
@Caribbean girl won with a Stuffed Sweet Peppers with Ground Beef recipe and she chose pumpkin
@L_B won with the Portobello Mushroom Pizza and chose peppers.
@morning glory and @classic33 won with a Smoked Salmon with Pickled Cabbage and Kale Seaweed and Red Cabbage Blueberry Smoothie (respectively) and jointly chose mushrooms.
@winterybella won with with Vegetable Curry with Parsnip and Cauliflower and chose cabbage.
@Duck59 won with a Orange, beetroot and celery salad and chose parsnips.
@morning glory won with a Chicken and Parma Ham Ballotines and chose oranges.
@cupcakechef won with a Porkkanalaatiko - Finnish Carrot Casserole and chose ham.
@classic33 won with a Vegan Heartache Cake (Chocolate Aubergine Torte) and chose carrots.
@morning glory won with a Leek, Potato & Saffron Soup and chose aubergine (egg plant).
@SatNavSaysStraightOn started the comp and chose potatoes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It started off with this and I am leaving this here so that the thread start makes some sense....

I was wondering if anyone was interested in a competition whereby the winner selects an ingredient and those entering this competition have to post the recipe up on CookingBites that uses that ingredient. Obviously to include everyone (omnivores, vegetarian, flexitarian, pescetarians, vegans, raw foodies etc) we'll have to set loose boundaries on the 'have you actually made it' side of life but the rules would be... <now above>

Obviously you will need to put up a link here so that the 'judge' knows about the recipe. It would just be an informal thing, big of fun. I could see if the winner could have a ribbon over their name & avatar...

Any takers?

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds fun to me. I am eager to join as long as I can spare the time. Just be lenient with the deadline because sometimes I am not able to log in due to my hectic schedule. I'm sure I can contribute to this contest because I am now reviewing our home recipes, hahahaaa. Good luck to us and I hope this contest would come to fore.

I was thinking of doing something similar, but not as a competition. I was going to start a 'spice of the week' thread and ask for ideas for using the chosen spice. It could be ingredient of the week just as well, but I was interested in exploring how some of those spices that sit unused for months, could be deployed.

My only observation would be that if people enter with the recipe tag each recipe will end up as a new thread and possibly take over the new thread panel on screen right. I already find this a little irritating (although I do like the idea of recipes being tagged). Imagine, for example, if the ingredient was Guinness!

Perhaps in light of this, entries could be restricted to one per person.

Anyway, ...who is the judge? :whistling:

Last edited:
Anyway, ...who is the judge? :whistling:
It will be a virtual coin toss between myself and the site owner @Shaun for the first judge.... <needs a smilie tossing a (bit)coin>
Then the next judge would be the winner of the first comp and there is no reason why the 'ingredient' could not be a spice or herb as well as vegetable, meat, fish etc... When I said tag, I used the wrong word. I meant prefix and then tag the ingredient. A link here to the recipe would be sufficient to enter it and most people would naturally limit themselves to 2 or 3 entries I think which would be fine tbh.

So, so far we have 3 takers plus me... anyone else?

Given that we seem to be discussing ingredients already, I'll take it that we are ready to start the competition and I'll make a suggestion and a time scale...

I'll set a nice and easy one to start off with. The recipe must feature potatoes as the main ingredient and I'm looking for the most creative recipe using this ingredient and the competition runs from now until 8am on the Saturday 14th November 2015.

A reminder on the rules!
  • you need to have posted the recipe up here on CookingBites with the 'recipe' prefix and 'potato' tag (no links to another recipe sites except for crediting etc)
  • Ideally include a photo or picture of the recipe
  • It must contain the ingredient specified in the challenge
  • It can be vegetarian, vegan or contain meat or fish or anything else for that matter.
  • The recipe be posted up on CB during the challenge time period
  • Judges decision is final
  • Winner selects the next ingredient for the challenge and time period for it.
Please post a link to your recipe below to start the competition off!

Edit: to clarify that links to other sites should be for credits only, not here's a link to the recipe type thing!

Last edited:
Re 'no links to other recipe's websites', shouldn't they be included if the recipe isn't original? Also, if the recipe is from a book or specific chef, that should be mentioned. Its common internet etiquette. I agree that the recipe should appear in full here though.

Hmm... potatoes. I have a fair few original recipes. Are sweet potatoes included?

Re 'no links to other recipe's websites', shouldn't they be included if the recipe isn't original? Also, if the recipe is from a book or specific chef, that should be mentioned. Its common internet etiquette. I agree that the recipe should appear in full here though.

Hmm... potatoes. I have a fair few original recipes. Are sweet potatoes included?
Oops what I really meant to say was that I wanted a recipe here complete and not what some people are doing which is just using the recipe prefix and then putting a link in and this site just becomes a link to other sites... yes the link should be in there if it is needed, common etiquette and courtesy still apply, but the recipe should be copied here as well please with any mods that you may have made...

No, on the sweet potatoes - just potatoes please.

Back
Top Bottom