The decade of your teen years...

caseydog

Local time
11:58 PM
MG wants new threads, so here is one inspired by the 70s comments in another (food) thread.

What was the decade of your teenage years? Mine were the 70s. I wasn't into the whole Disco scene, but could dance if I had to to get a date. I was more of the Rocker type -- Rush, KISS, Zappa, Steve Miller and Zepplin.

Attire: I was not into the Disco clothing thing (unless I had too, as mentioned). I was more likely to be seen in a black concert t-shirt, jeans and some flip-flops.

Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 8.38.50 PM.jpg

My high school experience was a lot like the movie, Dazed and Confused.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aQuvPlcB-8

CD

Last edited:
Mine was the '80's - I turned 13 in '79.

Every decade has hits and misses as far as pop culture goes, but I love a lot of the '70's era, even though that was more my childhood.

When we bought our current house, there was an extra room that I laid claim to, and my intent was to decorate it in a '70's motif. MrsT was ok with it until she saw me online trying to source one of those '70's metal fireplaces: "That's enough of that!" :laugh:

Anyway, back to the '80's, I was a farm kid, so flannel shirts and jeans most of the time. I reinvented myself after I left home. :laugh:

My teens were the 60s. For the first half music was Elvis and Cliff Richard and I dressed in drainpipe denims. For the second half music was Psychedelia and dress went all hippy but before the end of the decade I was into deep south blues and sheepskin waistcoats.

Mine were the late 90s/begin 2000's, I was 13 when the year 2000 came. I grew up without a computer, with limited screen time and rotary phones. Us millenials were probably the last generation who had an analog childhood.
I miss the days of being unavailable for phone calls etc when you were not at home .

I only got a computer with internet when I was 16, and a mobile phone when I was 20. As long as I lived with my parents internet was limited to 1 hour a week and tv to 2 hours a day.

I was part of the goth/alternative clique mainly because us kids of neglient parents were welcomed at the local hard rock biker cafe ( yeah I know great place for teens. Don't ask me where my parents were. )

Music that shaped my teenage years definitely was goth metal (nightwish!) , heavy metal, classic rock, industrial and bands like the cure, siouxsie and the banshees etc.
I had opera singing classes during my teen years so I could sing like my favorite Goth metal front women.

By the end of the 2000s my style had shifted to more hippie/new age attire with lots of tie dye and silk because I felt happier once I lived on my own at 18. I also moved on to more electronic music like psychedelic trance & dance music because I went to new age hippie festivals.

My favorite songs of the 2000s:

Last edited:
I miss the days of being unavailable for phone calls etc when you were not at home .
⬆️⬆️
This..........dislike "always available" with cellphones..

Anyway.. it's the decade of the 70s for me although I loved the ideas / music of the mid-late 60s like the bands - The Doors, The Moody Blues, moving into the 70s with Grand Funk Railroad, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Great times, bell bottoms, fringed bottom jeans, burning incense in the bedroom, 18 and able to drink 3/2 beer (lower alcohol content - I think) .... macrame purses, long straight hair parted in the middle, love beads and POW bracelets we wore representing the prisoners of war. Not being afraid to hitch hike, the freedom of being young ... good times 😍😍

Last edited:
It's the same with having the flexibility to work from home. Employee thinks, "I can work a little here, work a little there," and employer thinks, "You're now available to work...whenever I tell you to!"

burning incense in the bedroom
I'm 55 and burning incense in the living room right now!

⬆️⬆️

Anyway.. it's the decade of the 70s for me although I loved the ideas / music of the mid-late 60s like the bands - The Doors, The Moody Blues, moving into the 70s with Grand Funk Railroad, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Great times, bell bottoms, fringed bottom jeans, burning incense in the bedroom, 18 and able to drink 3/2 beer (lower alcohol content - I think) .... macrame purses, long straight hair parted in the middle, love beads and POW bracelets we wore representing the prisoners of war. Not being afraid to hitch hike, the freedom of being young ... good times 😍😍
Guess I'll sound really young but these things never went away. We listen to this type music too, and incense etc is just a generic staple of the new age/hippie movement. It may have changed forms but it's still there if you know where to look. Thought the POW bracelets have gone.. My husband is 52, I barely notice any difference between us in lifestyle/beliefs.

* Glances at chest full of incense*

Guess I'll sound really young but these things never went away. We listen to this type music too, and incense etc is just a generic staple of the new age/hippie movement. It may have changed forms but it's still there if you know where to look. Thought the POW bracelets have gone.. My husband is 52, I barely notice any difference between us in lifestyle/beliefs.

* Glances at chest full of incense*
My nephew works at a small incense-maker's about 90 minutes from my house.

We generally only burn it around the holidays, though.

You don't have to have your phone switched on.

This advice is free.
Sure, but you can't even go to a restaurant/venue/store without it because of certain apps right now so this advice doesn't really work. Not willing to discuss the political why and how of certain apps, we have the covid thread for that. But it's not so easy now where I live.

I was a teenager late sixties, early 70s.
The sixties part was pretty tame; a small country village of 1,000 inhabitants, our outings were to the pub, the Youth Club or a friend´s place.
It wasn´t till I got to Uni that I was finally able to let it all hang out, grow my hair halfway down my back, buy my own clothes (which did not include the awful tweed jackets I used to have to wear:laugh::laugh:) and listen to music other than Beethoven and Rachmaninoff.
John Mayall, Cream, West Coast Blues, Clapton, then the Stones, Queen, Status Quo, the Kinks and a whole pile of other loud, raucous stuff.
LOVE it!!

Back
Top Bottom