The difference British scones & American biscuits

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
9:08 PM
[Mod.edit: This post moved from another thread to form a new topic (MG)]

I was curious to know the difference between a scone and an (American) biscuit, so I did a bit of research. I reviewed 10 different recipes for sweet scones, by well-known British chefs, and then did the same for biscuits with US chefs, meticulously avoiding the BBC recipes:laugh::laugh:.
Basically, the two recipes are similar: a combination of flour, butter, milk or buttermilk, baking powder, sugar and salt. Scones always include sugar ( around 7%), basically because they´re normally served with jam and cream - although savoury scones would not. Typically, cheese scones, or my brother´s killer recipe for Cheddar and Bacon! SOME biscuits have a touch of sugar in them - 50/50 in the recipes I looked at.
Now here´s the difference: scones always use milk; biscuits use buttermilk 70% of the time. Scones only use about 20% milk, whereas biscuits average about 37% buttermilk. However, more than half the scone recipes used eggs - 1,2 or 3, whereas I didn´t see a single biscuit recipe with eggs in it.
Baking soda, perhaps baking powder as well, and salt are almost always present.
I also discovered that HM the Queen puts the jam on first, then the cream. So that solves that one! Additionally, you´d never serve a scone with gravy, whereas biscuits - yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scones in Ireland and in Northern Ireland traditionally use buttermilk. They're a popular treat with afternoon tea. My mum and mother-in-law both made very tasty scones. I haven't made them for a very long time, partly because our oven is not very efficient, partly because the flour around here has too much salt in it and partly because life is very busy as a carer of someone with aphasia and brain damage following a stroke.

self-rising/raising flour is made by adding baking powder and salt to "all purpose" flour
so if a miller gets a bit heavy handed, the salt may be 'to taste, too much'
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
1 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
½ teaspoon Salt

garlichead nailed my observations - scones are denser. especially considering the range of "biscuits" in US -
rolled, drop, buttermilk fluffy, layered , , , ,

Heck, I can´t find the little tag to make it a "recipe". Not yet skiful at this!:headshake:
You need to create it as a separate recipe in the Baking, etc sub-forum. That's where you'll see the Recipe tag available.

Please give it a shot, and let one of the staff know if you need help. :)

Alrighty. I´ve always made scones using Saint Delia´s recipe, or the ones my bro gave me - he was an executive chef for 30 years.
So then I read about a storm in a teacup, as to whether the jam(jelly/marmalade) should go on first, or the cream. Wow- do people get worked up about some things!
I thought: " let me see what Her Majesty prefers, and I´ll go with that". So here´s the recipe from Chef Darren McGrady, with a few tiny changes. Had them for breakfast yesterday and today, and I´d honestly say the addition of an egg makes them way more interesting.
The Queen´s Scones70619

That is strange. I've never heard of flour having salt added to it. Are you sure you mean salt?
I don't know what product I was looking at when I thought I saw a high amount of salt. I've looked online at a variety of flours and can't find any that are high in salt. I'll have to have another look next time I'm in Tesco.

I don't know what product I was looking at when I thought I saw a high amount of salt. I've looked online at a variety of flours and can't find any that are high in salt. I'll have to have another look next time I'm in Tesco.
I think I´ve always assumed that flour doesn´t have salt in it. I´d better be a bit more observant next time I buy!

Back
Top Bottom