The ever reliable omelet

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
11:20 AM
When we have not much time to spare for cooking breakfast, what we always have is an omelet. Depending on what we have in the fridge - asparagus or cauliflower. But mostly it is the potato and cheese omelet that is always a hit with the children. Tomato omelet is not a good sell but asparagus is sometimes okay with them. What's good in omelet is the eggs that make it nutritious.

You know what, I have a lot of trouble from people regarding my omelettes. I was taught by a French cook to cook them in foaming butter and fold or roll them so that the centre is slightly wobbly and soft. Cooked, but not firm. I was also taught that the outside of the omelette should be tinged with light golden brown. For me, I can't eat an omelette any other way. But my (adult) son who was always perfectly happy with my omelettes has now decided he wants them cooked to the firm 'leathery' stage. I've come across many other people who will not eat the omelette unless its firm all through and who cook omelettes without browning them at all, so the result looks plain and pale. In the instances I'm talking about this was not a food safety reasoning, it was just that that is how they think proper omelettes should be. Most cafes in the UK will serve them like that too.

I've never tried a cauliflower omelette - how do you make it?

Well this post couldn't be more timely. I am here about to get ready for work, but I am thinking I need to get a quick bite before I leave. I get in the bad habit of not eating breakfast many mornings. So right about now I am going to pause and go and whip me an omelete. Thanks Cozhens. I am just going add some cheese, onions and sweet peppers: nothing fancy.

I will gladly put any vegetables I have on hand in an omelet if I am in the mood to make one. I like to add mushrooms if I have them as well and I usually put the cheese on top when it's done cooking, rather than mix it in. I hate to get melted cheese on the pan because it's hard to get off. My favorite omelet veggies would probably be onion, spinach, maybe asparagas, and bell peppers.

I love mushrooms with just about anything (okay, maybe not ice cream) but certainly in an omelette. A bit of onion and the odd tomato is welcome, too.

There was a time when I had something of an aversion to omelettes. This, I think, was a legacy of the bad old days when a lot of restaurants took the view that if you were a vegetarian, they could dump an omelette and a soggy lettuce leaf in front of you and you'd be happy. Wrong.

Omelets are great, fast and delicious. The way I cook my omelets will depend on the day and what I have available to me. However, my preferred omelet includes diced onions, tomatoes, feta cheese, green peas, and lardon (I believe it's called bacon bits in English?).

Omelettes are harder to make correctly than you give them credit ,cooked correctly folded nice and served neatly ,my favourite omelette was on St mont Michelle at la mere poulard ,it's a whisked omelet ,very expensive but a very special place

Omelettes are harder to make correctly than you give them credit ,cooked correctly folded nice and served neatly ,my favourite omelette was on St mont Michelle at la mere poulard ,it's a whisked omelet ,very expensive but a very special place
It seems to me that a lot of posts here are referring to what I would describe as a frittata, that is, a well cooked egg mixture with lots of added veg, meat or cheese.
A frittata looks like something like this:
frittata.jpg

To me an omelette is a lightly cooked and folded and may contain inside the fold some simple ingredients such as cheese or spinach. It should never contain a medley of different things cooked into the egg, with the exception possibly of some herbs. Don't get me wrong, I like a good frittata or its relation, the Spanish omelette. But I think there is some confusion in this thread as to what people are talking about.

A classic omelette should look something like this:
omelette.jpg

Ah, frittata. I started many an East African morning with a frittata and a cup of macchiato, albeit a slightly milkier version of what those of us in the UK would recognise as a macchiato. Frittata included tomato, onion and, being East Africa, the ubiquitous green chilli.

I love making omelettes, they're a great way to use up various scraps and leftovers of meats and cheeses and vegetables. I've heard various opinions on what a "proper" omelette should be - some insist that it should not have any browning on it at all, while others say it should. One thing I could never seem to do properly is the classic method of repeatedly tucking in the edges of the omelette and letting the runny portions of the egg spill into it. I always end up tearing up the omelette too much and make a mess of it. Plus that method uses an awful lot of butter/oil, which I would rather not be consuming each morning. Instead I just go for a much simpler technique and put a lid on the pan and let it cook on medium low until the eggs are set on top. It's pretty much goof proof, and once the eggs are set, they're super easy to roll out of the pan. Another thing I realized, is that you don't necessarily need more than 2 eggs to make an omelette. In fact, using too many eggs per omelette only makes them take longer to set, and the bottom tends to get burnt before the top is done. I use two large eggs, scrambled to the point where they're a bit frothy - I may even add a splash of water too, in a 12 inch frying pan with a lid, sprayed with a little cooking spray. The steam trapped in the pan causes the eggs to puff up as they're cooking, and the omelette still looks substantial despite being only two eggs.

Some of my favorite toppings include sauteed spinach, mushrooms and cheese. I also enjoy making ham & swiss omelettes with our leftover lunch meats and sliced cheese. Fresh spinach, feta, olive and tomatoes is another favorite.

Yeap I love myself a good omelette, sunny side up or scrambled eggs because it's easy to make, nutritious and generally just very tasty. Meats, cheeses, vegetables and mushrooms are just add ons to this naturally good dish it's my go-to breakfast before I leave for work.

I love making omelettes for breakfast or dinner. I usually add bacon, onions, cheese, mushrooms, spinach. So tasty and filling. My kids love it too.

Back
Top Bottom