The Extraordinary Italian Cheeses ..

Francesca

Local time
6:27 PM
Italy is one of the world´s largest cheese producers, and one might not realise, though uncountable Italian cheeses are only produced on a strictly regional basis for strictly Italian markets. There are over 400 and a huge number are virtually unknown to outsiders and un-obtainable as they are not exported.

Here is a list of the exported and well known:

Parmigiano Reggiano (cow cheese) - Parma, Emilia Romagna ..
Mozzarella di Bufala ( wáter buffalo cheese ) - Caserta, Campania, just north of Naples ..
Gorgonzola Blue ( cow cheese) - Lombardy ..
Pecorino Sardo ( sheep cheese) - Sardinia ..
Taleggio (a buttery cow cheese) - Taleggio, Piedmont and Veneto ..
Asiago (sheep / ewe cheese) - The high plateau, Altiplano Asiago, Veneto and Trentino Alto Adige ..

What are your fave Italian cheeses ( exported to your country ) ?

Last edited:
Parmigiano Reggiano, which must have the name embossed on the rind. The rind, which I call "Parm Bones" are great added to soup or sauce as a flavoring.
Mozzarella, we've had di Bufala, but what is mostly available here is made with cows milk. Since many Italians were "exported to this country":okay:, there is nothing wrong with the mozzarella made here.
Smoked Mozzarella.
Pecorino Romano.
Ricotta Salata.
Gorgonzola.

My Pinch of Italy and Morning Glory,

Yes, Burrata is an amazing cheese from Italy.

Last edited:
Italy is one of the world´s largest cheese producers, and one might not realise, though uncountable Italian cheeses are only produced on a strictly regional basis for strictly Italian markets. There are over 400 and a huge number are virtually unknown to outsiders and un-obtainable as they are not exported.

Here is a list of the exported and well known:

Parmigiano Reggiano (cow cheese) - Parma, Emilia Romagna ..
Mozzarella di Bufala ( wáter buffalo cheese ) - Caserta, Campania, just north of Naples ..
Gorgonzola Blue ( cow cheese) - Lombardy ..
Pecorino Sardo ( sheep cheese) - Sardinia ..
Taleggio (a buttery cow cheese) - Taleggio, Piedmont and Veneto ..
Asiago (sheep / ewe cheese) - The high plateau, Altiplano Asiago, Veneto and Trentino Alto Adige ..

What are your fave Italian cheeses ( exported to your country ) ?

@Francesca Taleggio is a typical Lombard cheese, in fact it takes its name from the homonymous Valley, Val Taleggio, which is in the Bergamo area.
Then there is the Grana Padano that is a bit the cousin of Parmigiano Reggiano (the taste and consistency are really similar) but it is typical of the low Lombardy, on the border with Emilia Romagna .. and also in Emilia they do it.

Parmesan as well as Pecorino are among my favorites ... the buffalo mozzarella also but only the one that comes from Campania, unbeatable. Gorgonzola is a delight, even just spread on a slice of hot bread is wonderful.
And all the Sardinian cheeses (with the exception of casu marzu, the one with the worms)
There is also a Sicilian cheese with pepper inside ..... how good it is!
But I guess I could list until tomorrow, ahahha.. we have so many ...

Last edited:
Parmigiano Reggiano, which must have the name embossed on the rind. The rind, which I call "Parm Bones" are great added to soup or sauce as a flavoring.
Mozzarella, we've had di Bufala, but what is mostly available here is made with cows milk. Since many Italians were "exported to this country":okay:, there is nothing wrong with the mozzarella made here.
Smoked Mozzarella.
Pecorino Romano.
Ricotta Salata.
Gorgonzola.

Oh My, ricotta salata...what a goodness....grated on pasta alla norma...:)

@Francesca Taleggio is a typical Lombard cheese, in fact it takes its name from the homonymous Valley, Val Taleggio, which in the Bergamo area.
Then there is the Grana Padano that is a bit the cousin of Parmigiano Reggiano (the taste and consistency are really similar) but it is typical of the Lombardy low, on the border with Emilia Romagna .. and also in Emilia they do it.

Parmesan as well as Pecorino are among my favorites ... the buffalo mozzarella also but only the one that comes from Campania, unbeatable. Gorgonzola is a delight, even just spread on a slice of hot bread is wonderful.
And all the Sardinian cheeses (with the exception of casu marzu, the one with the worms)
There is also a Sicilian cheese with pepper inside ..... how good it is!
But I guess I could list until tomorrow, ahahha.. we have so many ...

@MypinchofItaly

There are approx 400 Italian cheeses and the vast majority are not exported as they are made on tiny sustainable boutique farms by expert cheese artisans ..

I love 98 % of Italian cheeses and my fave is Pecorino Sardo and Parmesano - Reggiano appellation, 2 year old aged ..

Yes, Grana Padano is a common export but it is not Parmesano Reggiano !!!!

Yes, I love Burrata and Mozzarella di Buffala ( Casarta, Campania, close to Napoli ) wáter buffalo cheese too ..

I am a cheese a hol ic !!! Ha Ha ..

Have a nice day ..

Last edited:
@MypinchofItaly

There are approx 400 Italian cheeses and the vast majority are not exported as they are made on tiny sustainable boutique farms by expert cheese artisans ..

I love 98 % of Italian cheeses and my fave is Pecorino Sardo and Parmesano - Reggiano appellation, 2 year old aged ..

Yes, Grand Padana is a common export but it is not Parmesano Reggiano !!!!

Yes, I love Burrata and Mozzarella di Buffala ( Casarta, Campania, close to Napoli ) wáter buffalo cheese too ..

I am a cheese a hol ic !!! Ha Ha ..

Have a nice day ..

I agree, absolutely not compared Grana Padano with Parmigiano Reggiano...Parmesan is better even if they are similar...

I agree, absolutely not compared Grana Padano with Parmigiano Reggiano...Parmesan is better even if they are similar...

Parmesano is a master piece of art cheese especially at 24 months of ageing ..

Agree 100% with you ..

There is no comparision to Parmesano Reggiano ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Each to his or her own likes and dislikes ..

If I want to eat Mozzarella di Buffala, I have 3 options:

1) Napoli is a one hour and half flight.

2) I can order from a friend and producer in Casarta, about 30 km. north of Napoli. And have in 24 hours ..

3) Or purchase from 2 Italian Distributors here in Spain ..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom