The farming and fishing of salmon

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:30 PM
[Mod.edit: this post moved to a new topic. The original thread was about 'meatloaf' which some of the following posts reference. (MG]

Just an observation, cheap seafood is often farm raised in countries with little or no regulations.

CD
I was thinking about you today as I made my husband's brunch bagel with the imported roasted smoked salmon from Norway. It's a lot less expensive than the stuff I have found in the grocery stores (I order it online from a US distributor). And BTW, it's not farm-raised, either.

Edited to add that apparently I was mistaken about the "not farm'raised" statement. But I do know that it tastes better than any other smoked salmon I have ever eaten!

Last edited:
I was thinking about you today as I made my husband's brunch bagel with the imported roasted smoked salmon from Norway. It's a lot less expensive than the stuff I have found in the grocery stores (I order it online from a US distributor). And BTW, it's not farm-raised, either.
Wow, can't even get wild Atlanic salmon, haven't for years in Canada and all smoked Atlantic is also farmed raised. Pacific no problem, but the Atlantic Ocean is pretty much void of wild salmon for commercial purposes.

Wow, can't even get wild Atlanic salmon, haven't for years in Canada and all smoked Atlantic is also farmed raised. Pacific no problem, but the Atlantic Ocean is pretty much void of wild salmon for commercial purposes.
Hmmm, I didn't know that about Canada? I have bought Canadian farm raised salmon, it's quite good.

Mod.comment: posts are veering off topic. Please start a new thread if your post isn't related to the thread subject of 'meatloaf'.

And here I was thinking about how good a seafood cake (loaf) would be with smoked salmon in it, LOL.

Hmmm, I didn't know that about Canada? I have bought Canadian farm raised salmon, it's quite good.
I'm pretty sure that applies to the rest of the world, no wild Atlantic stock means no one gets any, basically. I know anglers will fish rivers for Atlantic, but commercially I believe no companies commercially fishing Wild Atlantic salmon. Cheers.

I'm pretty sure that applies to the rest of the world, no wild Atlantic stock means no one gets any, basically. I know anglers will fish rivers for Atlantic, but commercially I believe no companies commercially fishing Wild Atlantic salmon. Cheers.
Hmmm. I must have misunderstood when I purchased it. It is quite delicious. I am hoping that Norway isn't one of those countries with poor regulations as CD insinuated.

I was seriously considering using a few ounces of smoked salmon with some crabmeat, diced shrimp, capers, cream cheese, and red and green onion with just a smidgen of bread crumbs to hold it together and then topping it with everything bagel seasoning. It would be reminisce of the bagels I make only less of a smokey flavor.

Aquaculture is almost like the wild west. Some of the worst atlantic farmed salmon facilities come from Countries you wouldn't expect like Ireland and Norway and a few in Canada. It's buyer be educated and aware.

Alaskan smoked salmon is all I ever buy, anyway. It's the best, IMO.

EDIT: I posted this reply before I read MG's warning. Sorry.

CD

Hmmm. I must have misunderstood when I purchased it. It is quite delicious. I am hoping that Norway isn't one of those countries with poor regulations as CD insinuated.

I was seriously considering using a few ounces of smoked salmon with some crabmeat, diced shrimp, capers, cream cheese, and red and green onion with just a smidgen of bread crumbs to hold it together and then topping it with everything bagel seasoning. It would be reminisce of the bagels I make only less of a smokey flavor.
Your fine. All I was saying is be aware of what your consuming. I purchase farmed Atlantic salmon regularly.

Aquaculture is almost like the wild west. Some of the worst atlantic farmed salmon facilities come from Countries you wouldn't expect like Ireland and Norway and a few in Canada. It's buyer be educated and aware.
Well I do know everything I see in the grocery stores here say farm raised.

There's some really great wild smoked salmon coming out of Canada's Indigenous population and Alaska is another great destination for smoked wild salmon.
Yeah, caseydog says he buys Alaska salmon. I never see that anywhere here, which is why I purchased what I did online.

Back
Top Bottom