The forum future after October

If members buy a subscription, the ads can go away.
That was the plan. Historically CB has always been ad free for members though (without payment).

And buying a subscription would (or could) also allow members to place their own advert to their websites/ YouTube channels etc in a dedicated advertising forum. Similar to the links I permit members in the signature currently.

I actually don't mind small banner ads on forums, as long as they are passive (don't do anything unless you choose to click on one). I've seen them top and bottom, or on the right side. They load fast, and just sit there doing nothing, unless you click on them.

If members buy a subscription, the ads can go away.

CD
If you log out, those are the ads you'd see. But fewer. I've not decided yet if it would be 1 or 2 (bottom or top & bottom) adverts. If you're not logged in you see many more especially if you browse through the forums.

I also get paid 2 different rates. 1 for the advert loading on a person's page and another rate if they actually click on it.

SatNavSaysStraightOn , Morning Glory and CB Staff
Please continue as a Forum. I hate Facebook and refuse to participate. I would love to make a large donation but that is not possible. I can make a small monthly donation and will do so gladly to maintain this wonderful forum. I know there is a core group of members who have been on board for a number of years. Do you SatNavSaysStraightOn or Morning Glory have a number of long term, active members? A suggestion - contact members with a history of activity who have suddenly dropped off. Invite them back. Let them know that they are missed. The larger the group the more opportunity for donations. All of you are very important to me. I want this forum to survive.

I searched how to make donations and found discussions but no instructions. That needs to be visible and easy to access. What did I miss?
All sorts, lol.

There's a link called donations in the green bar at the top. If you're on a mobile phone, it's the credit card symbol now, next to the alerts button.

And there are 2 links in the original thread of mine. One leads to the adhoc donations page the other to the monthly donations. They are literally the words....

Then under your name, it your avatar (click on it) click the bottom left you'll find the option called monthly donations...

Last edited:
I had problems donating at first because the donation process isn't all that clear (at least to me). Everything goes through PayPal, and it looks like they're really strongly directing you to sign up for PayPal if you want to contribute. In the past, I'd get up to the actual paying part, and then it would direct me to go through PayPal, and since I don't have (and don't want) a PayPal account, that was that. :(

However, I can report that it does work without a PayPal account, and I've successfully made three donations using a standard credit card. You just have to be mindful, because at the end of the process, the final button, the really noticeable one, the one they really, really want you to click, is the one that sets you up with a PayPay account. You have to make sure you click the itsy-bitsy, tiny "No Thanks" link below that to continue paying as a guest (it may actually say "Continue as guest," I can't remember).
This is impossible where I live, there is no such button as pay as a guest wherever I click, the grey small one you mentioned makes an account for me. Which is unfortunate, because I don't feel comfortable with using Paypal after having a bad experience with it (ie payment by me got cancelled by them and ensuing problems in the past) . I hope new options will be added, if so I will donate.

I donated without any problems and glad I did.
Sorry if this has been already discussed (I've just popped into this discussion) I agree that transferring CB completely to FB would be dispersive and no longer as forum-centric (and therefore no longer as attractive). As was perhaps raised a while back though, maybe use FB or perhaps even better Instagram, just as a support to the Forum, just to say 'hey, we're here, join CB'?

As was perhaps raised a while back though, maybe use FB or perhaps even better Instagram, just as a support to the Forum, just to say 'hey, we're here, join CB'
Unfortunately both Instagram and FB need constant posts to attract any attention and it needs to be done daily or every other and having tried it (both Morning Glory and I have done this previously) it is a lot of effort for very little uptake. I don't actually know of any members who have signed up as a result of our FB activity (which I've stopped again as a result).
Most members find us searching through Google or by "word of mouth" from other members and that is going to be our best way to expand. People using FB want a FB style setup. Those who don't like FB accept a forum setup such as this.

It has been suggests that we consider an 'invite a friend for the weekend' session.

This is impossible where I live, there is no such button as pay as a guest wherever I click, the grey small one you mentioned makes an account for me. Which is unfortunate, because I don't feel comfortable with using Paypal after having a bad experience with it (ie payment by me got cancelled by them and ensuing problems in the past) . I hope new options will be added, if so I will donate.

Can you not see the screen as shown in the above post? That should be the same for any member. You click on the Pay by Debit or credit card option.

Can you not see the screen as shown in the above post? That should be the same for any member. You click on the Pay by Debit or credit card option.
Its not the same, I shall post a screenshot :
'Een rekening openen' means ' open an account' (for paypal) . If I click on I have to agree to the user agreement for paypal.

fullsizeoutput_73b1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom