The full English breakfast thread

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
1:29 PM
[Mod.edit: this and some following posts moved to form new topic (MG)]

English Breakfast for dinner. Not quite ‘full’ as sadly I ran out of black pudding… boo!

C4A46CBB-F174-4D3F-9093-B59BC51490A7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. But surely that isn't skinny chips (fries) hidden under the egg?

It can't possibly be "skinny chips". They don't have a place in English breakfasts!

Not a bad looking fried egg though.

Nice. But surely that isn't skinny chips (fries) hidden under the egg?

Haha. Yes - well, I already had so many pans going that I took a shortcut - those are air-fried french fries (the shame). In my defence, 1) I tried to hide them under the egg 2) I've seen worse travesties than that ('country-fried' potatoes?). :D. Mind you, some people will argue that there shouldn't be any chips/fried potato-y things with an English breakfast, but chips are quite common in London.

Haha. Yes - well, I already had so many pans going that I took a shortcut - those are air-fried french fries (the shame). In my defence, 1) I tried to hide them under the egg 2) I've seen worse travesties than that ('country-fried' potatoes?). :D. Mind you, some people will argue that there shouldn't be any chips/fried potato-y things with an English breakfast, but chips are quite common in London.
All of England: I say, a full English breakfast simply cannot be improved upon!

vernplum: Hold my tea… ☕

All of England: I say, a full English breakfast simply cannot be improved upon!

vernplum: Hold my tea… ☕

This is the last ‘Full English’ I ate in a caff in South Kensington (London) last October. Note: hash brown (keen observers will notice the hash brown peeking out from under the left side of my egg). :)

22D51368-205C-479A-AB54-0862F22CBDE7.jpeg

99F72291-C956-45B2-95C2-806A6CC24EC5.jpeg

This is the last ‘Full English’ I ate in a caff in South Kensington (London) last October. Note: hash brown (keen observers will notice the hash brown peeking out from under the left side of my egg). :) And no mushrooms? wth lol

View attachment 85049

View attachment 85050
I’ve had a very, very similar FEB, including that same potato triangle, at a roadside services stop the last time we were there.

I always thought an FEB to be infused with some sort of magical force, like the spiritual essence of England, and as such, no FEB could ever truly be bad…but they proved me wrong. It was horrible.

I think a little part of me died that day. :laugh:

I’ve had a very, very similar FEB, including that same potato triangle, at a roadside services stop the last time we were there.

I always thought an FEB to be infused with some sort of magical force, like the spiritual essence of England, and as such, no FEB could ever truly be bad…but they proved me wrong. It was horrible.

I think a little part of me died that day. :laugh:

I had one here with shiitake mushrooms the other day, and intentionally cold baked beans (and no chips lol). Here's my review of it:

Screenshot 2022-05-10 at 9.49.52 AM.png

You made me laugh out loud!

I had one here with shiitake mushrooms the other day, and intentionally cold baked beans (and no chips lol). Here's my review of it:

View attachment 85054

That is some review vernplum and it made me laugh a lot!

Just to add that cold baked beans are only properly served straight from the can with a spoon. Like caviar...

Wow, vernplum, that is one heck of a review! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I´m pretty sure the "Full English" is a mish-mash of modern marketing and foodie fantasy. Kippers and kedgeree are great first thing in the morning!
When I was at uni, we used to go to a Greasy Spoon (1971) before sitting exams. 2 sausage, 2 eggs, mushrooms, beans, bacon and fried tomato, with toast. AND a pint of builder´s tea.
But then I was involved in a Choir Event on 1st May 71, where we were first tortured (obliged to sing madrigals at 6am on top of a church tower) and then pampered ( a full breakfast). The breakfast involved devilled kidneys :hyper::hyper::hyper:and finished off with brandy and cigars.
As a true Southerner, I never, ever saw a breakfast (or breakfast menu for that) which involved "Black Pudding". Only north of the Watford Gap with that stuff.
As for "hash browns", absolutely no way whatsoever. That´s as foreign as Coquilles St Jacques with your Fish&Chips. However, I tried hash browns for the first time on a tour to the US of A in 1973, and absolutely fell in love with them. I could eat a whole plateful on their own; but they don´t belong with a "Full English".
Nor do chips, really, but then again... 1973, working at a Paper Mill from 6am till 6pm. Breakfast was about 8.30, and included sausage, eggs, bacon, beans and chips. Chips with everything.

I just discovered there is an English breakfast society:

The English Breakfast Society

Here is what they say about hash browns and chips:
Hash browns however are a controversial ingredient that many believe do not belong in a traditional English breakfast. We here at the Society believe that hash browns and french fries are used as a cheap breakfast plate filler in badly run cafes, by people who have no respect for our traditions.

I just discovered there is an English breakfast society:

The English Breakfast Society

Here is what they say about hash browns and chips:
I'm with the English Breakfast Society. I have previously expressed my opinions on the American interloper, the hash brown. The only place it should be seen is on a McDonalds menu, and quite frankly, if you are having breakfast at McDonalds you deserve everything you get.

Back
Top Bottom