The full English breakfast thread

About 20 years ago I was in a bar in Pattaya (Rosie O'Grady's) with my son for breakfast. He had the works and whilst I cannot remember if potatoes were included, black pudding definitely was. He finished everything except the black pudding and when the waitress came to clear up, she pointed out that had he cleared the plate, he would have been entitled to a free glass of beer. He explained that he didn't like black pudding. She said "You should have told me; I would have served you extra sausages".

She brought him the glass of beer anyway which was a bit early at 10:30.

I was looking through my breakfast photos. I realised that when I include black pudding I don't serve sausages as well. I suppose, because black pudding is a sort of sausage. Also, I often put the beans on toast. Not sure if that is controversial...

Here is one of mine minus black pudding. No tomato either on this one:

I'm with the English Breakfast Society. I have previously expressed my opinions on the American interloper, the hash brown. The only place it should be seen is on a McDonalds menu, and quite frankly, if you are having breakfast at McDonalds you deserve everything you get.

Preformed, frozen hash brown patty, yes. Properly cooked from scratch hash browns are great in a "full American" breakfast.

CD

The "full American" may have a decent hash brown, but it would also include cremated streaky bacon, so that's a no from me.

Oh, it's a "NO" for me, too. :thumbsdown:

Properly cooked American bacon should have a little crispness, but still have some chew. It takes a bit of practice to get it right. You have to remove it from the pan to drain on paper towels before you think it is completely done. It continues to cook off the heat for a little while. It's the same as with scrambled eggs, you need to pull them off the heat a little before they look properly done, or they will be overcooked.

CD

I'm all for the fried bread. :D
There used to be (maybe still is) a family-restaurant chain there called AJ’s - similar to a Little Chef, but maybe just a tick nicer.

We used to go there for two things: fried bread at breakfast (they had super-hard scrambled eggs, BTW), and in the evenings, fruit-of-the-forest crumble/crisp/cobbler thingy with custard.

I’d eat extra helpings of fried bread on weekend mornings, and MrsT would always want to go weekend evenings for the dessert.

Back
Top Bottom