The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I do not use a watch for sleep analysis, for now. I am journaling what and when I eat and try to fine tune. I noticed, no big surprise, that a cup of warm melissa tea makes me sleep more relaxed, and can carry me over the 4 am wake up.
I wake up minimum 2x and max 5 x during the night. I use three, or 4 pillows to adjust whatever.
I still feel how unudjusted my neck was last night🤓. I just did some cat cow excersises to balance out. It is ok. I feel ok. If it stays like this, I can work with that.
My sleep is very thin though. I wake up or notice a late party returner speaking on the pavement...or when kid goes to the bathroom, sometime even when she turns in her bed.🤷

I do take afternoon naps, during the summer break. That is when kid does not storm out if her room shouting Mommmmy deaaaar😂 at the very exact moment I was drifting away😂😂amazing timing...

One reason we live rurally is that anything wakes me up. Even the fridge coming back on will wake me after no electricity or an animal under the bedroom window. I get to notice all sorts as a result. The best was a herd of escaped cows in the garden, though I have had a horse as well, sheep are routine, though the last time it happened they turned out not to be from my landlord's flock so refused to return to 'their field' and flock! But I get to see also sorts of night time only wildlife as a result as well which is great.

Down side is that even hubby turning over wakes me up. He can sleep though me having an asthma attack, coughing until I throw up. I can be sitting or lying on the bed with the light on at 4am... but some nights he'll wake up when the electricity comes back on as well...

At least I don't have to put up with noisy party goers, just flocks of a bird called noisy miner bird. Yep, it's noisy all right but Aussie wildlife is similar to the jungle noises at night... one of those, I'm not going out there kind of sounds and we're not that far off temperate rainforest from here. About 1 hrs drive. Our old house backed onto it... and that was exceptionally noisy at night. Easier to sleep during the day.

HOT! :heat:

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 6.41.43 AM.png

CD

Gmail changed the look of the "Write an email" button so my workday will be spent trying to figure out how to write an email every time I need to write an email which I do about 35627 times every day :cry:

At least I don't have to put up with noisy party goers, just flocks of a bird called noisy miner bird. Yep, it's noisy all right but Aussie wildlife is similar to the jungle noises at night.
That is amazing. Quite a lot of sounds, although nature sounds.

My hood is rather quiet at night,which I am grateful for. Although there is a big street very nearby. And tramway.

The party returners are a very quick, just talking sound, passing by. Not wild or anything...not even drunk...Not troubling at all really, it just wakes me up.

Similarly, we both kid and I heard a grasshopper who came into the room...two weeks ago or so...it is the lightest sound, but on a quiet background...

I am so happy to see the skies light up at dawn each morning.

Recently I watched a few videos about life on Svalbard, where they get polar nights and days, I do not think I could do well there.

Gmail changed the look of the "Write an email" button so my workday will be spent trying to figure out how to write an email every time I need to write an email which I do about 35627 times every day :cry:
Did they talk to neuroscientists about changing? Why would it be benefitial?🤓
I get annoyed with those redesigns too.🤪

Speaking of neuroscience, I am watching a series of Stanford University online excellent, above excellent lectures on behavioral genetics led by Dr Robert Sapolsky.

So interesting, I love learning, they are made simple, so that no med background is no obstacle, so so interesting. Every now and then I go wow, wooow internally...

Squeezing out the most of the last few days of summer break, before the madness takes over.😎

Speaking of neuroscience, I am watching a series of Stanford University online excellent, above excellent lectures on behavioral genetics led by Dr Robert Sapolsky.

Oh, was TastyReuben on the show?

I know I wasn't. I'm leaving my brain to science. That should make an interesting video... or horror movie. :eek:

CD

Recently I watched a few videos about life on Svalbard, where they get polar nights and days, I do not think I could do well there.
We spent 3 months or so above the Arctic Circle whilst we were cycling around the world 10 years ago. Maybe it was the fresh air and exercise but we very quickly adjusted to 24 hour daylight but being from Scotland originally I was fine with 19hrs as it was (Aberdeen in the summer 4am - 11pm or more often 3:30am to 11:30pm of daylight).

It was exceptionally odd the first time we had cycled far enough south for it to actually go dark again at night. I'd left the tent to go to the toilet block. I got there Ok but trying to find a dark green tent in the dark without a torch... i failed. I had to call out to my husband to ask him to locate a torch... we'd not needed one for the best part of 4 months.

So interesting, I love learning, they are made simple, so that no med background is no obstacle, so so interesting. Every now and then I go wow, wooow internally...

Squeezing out the most of the last few days of summer break, before the madness takes over.😎
This looks super interesting! Could you share the link?

Off to a good start in Houston.

First, I got to Houston, and got into my rental car -- Hertz Five Star Gold member. The guy at the gate says there is problem with the credit card I have on file. I go back to the office, and they say it is expired. Well, It's been a while since I rented, so it just needs an update. They run the charges from another card, and it goes through. But, so did the other charge on the other card. Great, I got double charged. Getting that fixed is going to suck.

I was planning to stay at my sister's house, but she is not feeling well, and being a nurse in a hospital full of unvaccinated Covid patients, thought it would be better for me to stay at my parent's house. No problem, they have three extra bedrooms, each with its own bathroom. All on the second floor.

Well, I get there, and it is 86F on the second floor, and the thermostat is set to 76F. My 89 year old dad says it will cool down. No dad, it won't. I now have one more thing to do... get the air conditioning fixed. Lucky for me, they have a very comfortable, goose down stuffed sofa in the living room. My bed for now.

Sitting down with my parents last evening was a trip, too. My reoccurring thought was, "Nobody told ME about this."

My parents have a house full of hanging artwork. Most of it was purchased on cruise ships, so most of it is not collectable artwork -- they are prints. My sister has a bunch of the same kind of artwork. I have tried for years, as a guy with an art degree, to tell them that just because it is numbered and signed, that doesn't mean it is collectible. So, now I am trying to tell them what to keep, and what to basically give away. "But that is a signed and numbered John Doe!" Well, it could be a signed and number Picasso print, and it will still be a #$@%^&@ print. They have a few pieces I'd like to snag, but at the least, I want them to keep the good stuff, and get a grip on the fact that the prints are not worth anything.

This is going to be a long week.

CD

Last edited:
The husband and I are going part-time vegetarian, we're doing it mainly for the climate but also because we're noticing that prices are getting higher and it's hitting us in the wallet. It's not near problematic yet, but we really need to tighten the belt a litte.
We're exempting take aways, restaurant food and food while visiting other from this rule. Though of course we're also reducing the amount of times we do those things.
This does not mean I will suddenly switch to only vegetarian food, right now our freezer is full of meat and fish. But we won't buy any new meat or fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom