The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those eggs would make me happy happy. Yeah, don't get me wrong I have been combining cuisines from the get go, actually fusion had not been coined or at least I hadn't heard that name when I first started combining Asian food with French food back in the 70's. Some of those dishes have morphed and I still use them. I'm known for my fusion food, but the cuisine that is first and foremost for me is French.

I believe in order to become a good through a very skilled cook, professional or home cook, is to understand the craft as thoroughly as possible and take it on as an apprentice would. When you have a gold standard recipe of a particular cuisine then and only then can you learn that dish or decide to change that dish or combine it with another cuisine that you know thoroughly as well. In the 80's and 90's fusion food was everywhere, every kitchen chef regardless of their skill was throwing fusion food at the public with a wide range of success. Most of it was just some of the worst food that has ever hit a plate and eventually fusion died out simply because it was diluted to the point that people didn't know or care anymore, sad really. That is a profession in dire need for direction or redirection. Todays chefs have their own mountains to climb with the back to basic style that is here now. You better know what your doing because you have nowhere to hide and with "chef" being the new celebrity there's been an influx of people going to culinary school that believe they know it all right after graduation then finding out they probably should have thought it through more thoroughly before they took on a huge debt going to the C.I.A. Personally I think a prerequisite for any culinary school should be a minimum time spent in a restaurant kitchen.

Again casually I don't care what anybody does but if someone is going to be specific then it needs to be somewhat accurate or eventually the dilution eventually waters down the basic understanding and it turns into a free for all and chaos, and that's not desirable or fare for people that want to take cooking more seriously.
Yes, it is true that the basics are good to master before developing something new. This is true of history and of almost everything in life. Past generations have learned the best ways to deal with certain matters through trial and error, so long-term learning should be valued and the skills of the experienced should be appreciated.

I’m all the same annoyed with arrogant rookies who consider themselves Masters of the Universe. Some of them are pitiful, some comical - and some of them keep us on our toes. Alfred Adler (a late Austrian shrink) has said: "The greater the feeling of inferiority that has been experienced, the more powerful is the urge to conquest and the more violent the emotional agitation". However, sometimes these roosters show unprecedented innovation in science, art or in the culinary world, so I guess it’s best to be humble in the face of life and give value to everyone — even those arrogant beginners. It is plausible that Siberia will teach them in time (a Finnish saying). People learn their lessons in different ways: some of us through the hard way. I value skills and experience in all aspects of life. Social skills, empathy and understanding are amongst them. I suck in social skills and self-discipline but I'm doing my best to improve myself.

There's a culinary school (foodservice, baking; confectionary, catering etc.) nearby. I often buy products from their street level shop & cafeteria and sometimes have (or had pre-Covid) a cup of coffee there, so I've heard the teachers talk about the hardships in teaching culinary basics to restless youngsters with attitude problems, mental disorders and conjoined smartphones. Still, the teachers still seem to love their work and keep teaching the best they can - with a smile.

Btw, some more mature, arrogant chefs are just as annoying. :giggle:
gordon r.jpg

Last edited:
I went grocery shopping yesterday at Publix, which is like nicer Krogers, and I'm saying nicer in that I've been in Krogers in very rural areas, as well as cities, and the larger the city the nicer the Kroger from what I've experienced. In the past Publix could always be counted on to have things that Winn Dixie didn't. Not anymore apparently.

Last week, the paper towel shelves were practically empty, less than a dozen packages of not so nice brands and the TP shelves weren't much better. Yesterday, Publix had ABSOLUTELY NO unfrozen poultry at all, totally bare shelves and, while there was a decent selection of beef and pork, there weren't the normal amounts. And, they were out of several produce items.

Plus, i got burned pretty bad last weekend when a pan half full of fresh off the stove boiling stock slipped off the back of the sink where I had apparently not placed it well and splashed on my abdomen, so I needed more nonstick gauze pads, which Publix was out of too, for several weeks according to the pharmacy.

So, I had to go to WD to get chicken and some of the produce I wanted, plus I figured I'd be making a trip to the medical supply store since, if Publix was out, i figured Walgreens, etc, would also be out. Surprise, surprise, WD had everything Publix didn't. The 1 good thing was that chicken was on sale at WD for $1.49 per pound, but I'd really have rather just gone to 1 store and paid a bit more.

A front is starting to move through giving us high winds, storms, tornado alert for 2.5 more hours today and it will bring a 20 plus degree drop in temps for us.

I went grocery shopping yesterday at Publix, which is like nicer Krogers, and I'm saying nicer in that I've been in Krogers in very rural areas, as well as cities, and the larger the city the nicer the Kroger from what I've experienced. In the past Publix could always be counted on to have things that Winn Dixie didn't. Not anymore apparently.

Last week, the paper towel shelves were practically empty, less than a dozen packages of not so nice brands and the TP shelves weren't much better. Yesterday, Publix had ABSOLUTELY NO unfrozen poultry at all, totally bare shelves and, while there was a decent selection of beef and pork, there weren't the normal amounts. And, they were out of several produce items.

Plus, i got burned pretty bad last weekend when a pan half full of fresh off the stove boiling stock slipped off the back of the sink where I had apparently not placed it well and splashed on my abdomen, so I needed more nonstick gauze pads, which Publix was out of too, for several weeks according to the pharmacy.

So, I had to go to WD to get chicken and some of the produce I wanted, plus I figured I'd be making a trip to the medical supply store since, if Publix was out, i figured Walgreens, etc, would also be out. Surprise, surprise, WD had everything Publix didn't. The 1 good thing was that chicken was on sale at WD for $1.49 per pound, but I'd really have rather just gone to 1 store and paid a bit more.

A front is starting to move through giving us high winds, storms, tornado alert for 2.5 more hours today and it will bring a 20 plus degree drop in temps for us.
We had Publix where I lived in Florida too, pricey but always super clean. Winn Dixie always had better sales but wasn't the cleanest and didn't have the best selection. Interesting how things change.

Plus, i got burned pretty bad last weekend when a pan half full of fresh off the stove boiling stock slipped off the back of the sink where I had apparently not placed it well and splashed on my abdomen
Ouch! I hope you're doing ok. I'm assuming you've been to the doc and all that. How are you feeling and how is it healing up a week in?

We had a similar thing with medical supplies several weeks ago, I remember posting about it here. Annoyed the crap out of me, having to drive here, there, and everywhere to collect fairly common home after-care items.

Kroger yesterday was purely out of flat parsley and candied ginger. I stopped at two other places (one Kroger, one locally-owned shop) and none of them had either. A lot of the produce was hit or miss, whole sections completely cleared out.

Kroger and Publix...the first time I went to a Publix, it was probably about 2000, when my in-laws moved to Florida, and I was duly impressed. There was a big new Publix around the corner (more or less, still far enough that you had to drive) and it was nice.

Then I went to the older Publix that was more in town, and it was a bit more skeevy and dirty, meat department wasn't as nice, produce wasn't as nice, that sort of thing.

The one around the corner from my in-laws...built for the well-heeled retirees. The one in town...built for the in-townies, who were much less affluent. I think the same thing happens here.

It's why, if I want something nicer or a specialty ingredient (like candied ginger or celeriac) I have to go to the big (nice) Kroger in much more prosperous Centerville; my local regular (small) Kroger won't even stock that stuff. I guess farmers don't need candied ginger. :laugh:

To be fair, though, our little Kroger is growing - in the last couple of years, we've gotten a top-to-bottom remodeling, and we now have an in-store Little Clinic and a Starbucks. Before that, the closest Starbucks was 22 miles away. Most people couldn't believe I lived 22 miles from a Starbucks, given the running joke about a Starbucks on every corner. :laugh:

We're also, for some strange reason, the only Kroger in maybe a 40-mile radius that offers Scan-Bag-Go, so you can scan and bag your groceries while you shop, pay on your phone, and entirely skip the line. Even the big Kroger doesn't have that (although they do have drone delivery, which makes me very jealous). We just, as in this month, got regular truck deliver to our house.

Anyway, I hope you're doing better.

OUCH!
:blackeye:
That does not sound good, at all!
med, are you okay?

OUCH!
:blackeye:
That does not sound good, at all!
med, are you okay?
Ouch! I hope you're doing ok. I'm assuming you've been to the doc and all that. How are you feeling and how is it healing up a week in?

Anyway, I hope you're doing better.

Thanks.

The worst area was about 8 inches long by 3 inches wide and it blistered immediately, but pulling my shirt away, thank goodness it was cotton and not a synthetic material that could have melted to my skin, ripped the top off 2/3 of the blisters.

One of the docs at work looked at it for me Monday, told me it was a low second degree burn and gave me treatment advice, but by wednesday afternoon, it didn't look good, the redness was spreading and
it was oozing gooey gold colored stuff
and was hurting worse than previously, so i went to my personal doc Thursday morning. He ordered Silvadene cream, a standard burn treatment, and once the pharmacy got it in stock and I started using that the redness started to recede and lighten and the spoiler stuff decreased greatly. It still hurts but not as bad. The worst is every time i bend any way it pulls the skin and ...

I'm just glad there were no fur babies in the splash zone.

Thanks.

The worst area was about 8 inches long by 3 inches wide and it blistered immediately, but pulling my shirt away, thank goodness it was cotton and not a synthetic material that could have melted to my skin, ripped the top off 2/3 of the blisters.

One of the docs at work looked at it for me Monday, told me it was a low second degree burn and gave me treatment advice, but by wednesday afternoon, it didn't look good, the redness was spreading and
it was oozing gooey gold colored stuff
and was hurting worse than previously, so i went to my personal doc Thursday morning. He ordered Silvadene cream, a standard burn treatment, and once the pharmacy got it in stock and I started using that the redness started to recede and lighten and the spoiler stuff decreased greatly. It still hurts but not as bad. The worst is every time i bend any way it pulls the skin and ...

I'm just glad there were no fur babies in the splash zone.
Oh my!
Yes thank goodness the fur babies didn't get splashed too, but you, oh my!
Isn't that 'spoiler stuff' the body's natural defense/healing mechanism?

Isn't that 'spoiler stuff' the body's natural defense/healing mechanism?
Not always.

I had something similar after a bad dog bite that left me needing more than 100 stitches despite me being on a very high dose of antibiotics. I ended up with an emergency visit from the local pharmacist with special antibiotics (2 seperate ones) at 6pm on a Friday night. It transpired that the microbiology lab were that concerned about what they'd found they rang my doctor with the results, who contacted the pharmacy. Long story short I had to change ABs immediately and ensure I got a full doses in that night. All concerned were very concerned about me loosing the leg yet you'd not have guessed it from looking at the wound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom