The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say with all the complaints I've heard from family getting tested, I was expecting something worse than we had. A quick swab around the mouth, and then the inside of the fleshy party of each nostril. The swabs needed for operations are much worse than what's being done in Australia.
I've had one Covid test, nostrils only, back in March for a surgery. I wasn't looking forward to it, given all the reports of "it feels like they touch your brain."

It wasn't anything like that. One nostril was absolutely fine, and the other one burned a little, like when you some water or something like that in it.

I realise they I never said what hubby got me (in the way of kitchen stuff) for Christmas and my birthday...

He finally got me 2 pestle and mortars (different sizes), a couple of (emergency) stocking filler hand whisks and a new paring knife from Messermeister (Oliva Elite range). We already have their 7inch Santoku knife and the 15cm Utility knife, but I frequently use my old straight bladed paring knife but my old one is very old, as in near on 80 years old old and the blade has an interesting inward curve on it where it has been sharpened more in the middle than the tip or handle end (a common sharpening error but it came to me like that from my grandparents). I have a matching old shear point paring knife as well but that has an interesting 'buckle' in the tip that actually doesn't affect the knife, it's just annoying, so I guess the new one (shear pointed paring knife) replaces this one rather than my straight edged paring knife. I've had to borrow a photo of the knife, I can't locate a picture of mine. I'll add a picture of all 3 tomorrow.

Sorry for being so ignorant but what is that?

Its a very useful reference book known to any 'classically trained' chef. Its main drawback is its based on classic French techniques so when it comes to cuisines from other cultures is not so useful - although that has been improved somewhat in later additions.

Here's the blurb:
Larousse Gastronomique has been the foremost resource of culinary knowledge since its initial publication in 1938. Long revered for its encyclopedic entries on everything from cooking techniques, ingredients, and recipes to equipment, food histories, and culinary biographies, it is the one book every professional chef and avid home cook must have on his or her kitchen shelf.

Larousse Gastronomique: The World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia: Amazon.co.uk: Librairie Larousse: 9780307464910: Books

Bother, I've gone down with a bad chest. Was fine this morning, right up until I tried to walk down the track for post. Breathless and coughing. No temperature but my throat is also sore (possibly from coughing), my bronchi hurt (also possibly from coughing). I've been aching the last couple of nights in bed, not really able to sleep which I'd put down to my bad back. Physio said it was bad (saw him yesterday). Temperature is fine though at 36.4°C. Headache could easily be from the storms that have been lurking around all day. Thunder is just on the edge of my hearing.... Very light rain at the time as well (so light it never measured on the weather station we have).

No prizes for guessing where we're off to tomorrow. (Friday we were out shopping because I needed clothes for or citizenship ceremony). So that's exactly 4 days ago... like I said, botheration! <actually it was something else but I really have to keep it polite>. So I'm probably getting my very first covid test done tomorrow!
Hope you get over whatever it may be as easy as possible.

My Mom is better... for now. Bleeding stopped by itself yesterday. I have been measuring her blood pressure twice a day,and now only once a day,and it is all right, it oscillates, but did not drop lower than 90, which I was warned about.

She is mostly lying down, but gets up from time to time with her walking stool. She says she is fine.

She asked for donuts and a kompott,so I bought and brought over.

I cooked for them both yesterday and today. At first she said she will not eat meat, then later says it was delicious. Nevermind what she says, I will keep bringing cooked food.

Dad has shoulder and neck aches. Despite suggesting the pills just last week,I had to remind them of the same pills again today. It is as it is.

🍀My stress level is definitely lower.

Thank you all🧡🧡🧡

My sister has been asking me a lot of car questions. She's been itching for a new car. She had the day off today, and I would have bet good money that she would have a new car by the end of of the day. And, I would have won. :laugh:

Right now, it is a seller's market for cars in the US. Demand is high, and supply is low. She probably paid too much, but she's happy. That's all that matters. She can afford it.

Oh, 2022 Volvo XC40 AWD loaded.

CD

My sister has been asking me a lot of car questions. She's been itching for a new car. She had the day off today, and I would have bet good money that she would have a new car by the end of of the day. And, I would have won. :laugh:

Right now, it is a seller's market for cars in the US. Demand is high, and supply is low. She probably paid too much, but she's happy. That's all that matters. She can afford it.

Oh, 2022 Volvo XC40 AWD loaded.

CD

Here is what a lot of new car lots look like now in the US. Supply chain issues due to Covid.

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 9.26.50 PM.jpg

CD

We're in need of a new car. Not desperate yet, but getting there, and they're already saying not to expect any relief with inventory any time soon, because once the supply issues resolve, it's going to be a buying frenzy for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom