The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was exam day in my culinary school and it was so easy, I thought they were kidding. Nobody in my class struggled and many of us were anxious about the exam.
That was the theory, now I'm gonna prepare myself for the practice exam.

Hope I'll find some more time to be more active here on cookingbites, you're all so amazing and I love to read what you're doing.

I have been trying to get DH on board with RVing/Caravanning.
He's a big city boy and I'm a small town gal who's camp in all manner over the years. :wink:
We've been looking at different ones for probably 10 years, but I just could never get him to "pull the trigger".
Since the Covid Pandemic, I've slowly convinced him that this would be a much safer way to travel rather than road trips and hotels.
He told me to keep looking and if I could find one that fell into his desired price range, he'd do it.

GUESS WHAT?!

I found it!

Now I have just a few details to work out and then we'll be "on the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again" !!!!
:woot: :highfive::hyper:
That’s something that’s never really appealed to me, but my in-laws did that for about three years after they retired, scouting out a permanent retirement location, and once they settled, they sold the RV.

Yesterday was exam day in my culinary school and it was so easy, I thought they were kidding. Nobody in my class struggled and many of us were anxious about the exam.
Congrats! It was easy because you know what you’re doing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Airfares advertised recently 400 one way.
Cheap as chips.

Russ
Holy crap!
That's $256USD ... I can't fly that cheap from here in Arizona to Honolulu!!!!
Go mate, GO!
See if you and the wife can get a package deal and stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village with transportation to and from, you'll love it - one of my favorite hotels (really the Moana Hotel is my all time fav but, I'm real old fashion, the "Village" has so much going on ...)

Well, today didn't go to plan. Very cold start (just a fraction under 0°C and no heating on made the house very cold this morning).

The plan, shopping, food, plus some bits needed from the hardware store, collect the dry cleaning and pick up a new mattress from IKEA. Leave at 8am home by 12pm. Usual, practiced, routine.

The reality. Wheel wobble on the way to Canberra bad enough that we had to ring the garage and take vehicle straight in. 1hr later, transpires that when the vehicle was serviced at the main dealer the SUV was washed, only they didn't completely wash it, just to bits that show and unfortunately disturbed some of the build-up of dirt on the insides of the alloy wheels... this caused the balancing to go out badly. Only solution is to take all the wheels off and clean them periodically. We didn't get charged thankfully. We've had periodic issues with wheel balancing on this vehicle, usually caused by the tyre garage and fixed but the main dealer. Today it way the other way around.

Next stop collect dry cleaning, a couple of bits from the shopping centre, not everything was available and so on. Time is now well passed 11am (left home at 8am and would normally be heaving home by now) so head over to a restaurant we know does a decent vegan meal and it is packed. Unusually so... long wait for the meal, don't mind given the time, so we started with the dessert... great meal though couldn't eat it all...

Then head to IKEA to select a new mattress for hubby to sleep on after his operation. Couldn't get the one we really wanted, not in stock until after his discharge and so on... so picked up the next best option. Long queues for checkout but got lucky as they penned up the 2nd self serve checkout as we walked passed and we were 'motioned' to enter and use it.

Head over to the hardware store across the road, but they didn't have what we wanted. Un(?)fortunately hubby spotted a large (15mm head) nail in the driver's front tyre tread right at the top of the wheel as he walked back to the vehicle. Managed to stop him pulling it out to see what would happen :eek: . He genuinely would have driven home on it if it hadn't have gone flat. Not me. I refused point blank to even let him remove it but the parking space we were in was the very end of the row in front of the shop entrance with the side needing access exposed to all the traffic in the car park, so we moved the vehicle to the supermarket car park about 1km away and parked at the very far end where we could stop someone parking alongside us. We failed to change the tyre. not a single nut would come loose. The garage this morning had done every single nut (presumably on all 4 wheels) up way too tight.
I sent hubby in to do the last shop before his operation (so stocking up on non-perishables) whilst I rang our breakdown cover. 15 minutes to answer the phone! Eeks they are not normally that busy.... I was told 60-90 minutes for someone to get out to us, no guarantees because they don't have power tools and so on. Yeah right. Luckily the exceptionally helpful mechanic arrived with a battery operated drill with a socket set adapter for wheel nuts... no guessing what he thought of driving on that tyre! Tyre changed and we're both exhausted, thirsty, needing the bathroom and so on.... back in to the shopping center...

Finally got home at 4pm. We hadn't planned lunch out, but 2 unexpected tyre problems meant hours of delays and I've now got a flat tyre instead of a spare to deal with after I drop hubby off on Monday lunchtime... grr vehicles.

And I've quit and lit the fire.
No heating when it's 0°C out and the day was cloudy so no solar warmth of the tin roof means a very cold house. Due to stay cold for another week or so.

Can't have hubby getting sick before Monday.

Well, today is my last track day with my Kawasaki ZX10R. Put a quick shifter on it last year and used it once. I have a few people interested in buying my bike which I'm definitely going to have those conversations but yeah, I'm done taking the risks. Last year my feet came right out from under me descending 3 concrete steps that were covered in wet slippery ice and came down hard on my side where my ribs came into contact with the corner of one of those steps and where I laid there for a few minutes is some pretty good pain. Broke 2 ribs and recovery took forever it seemed.

Now that I'm almost 70 yrs old I don't trust myself that when I get on the track I will push it because I generally do. I've gone down on the track a few times over the years, it's just going to happen and recovery for the most part was quick and for the most part painless, but my reflexes and balance are not what they use to be which is normal when you get older, I've known that, but the reality is I know that lol.

Good bye my friend.

6736211161(1).jpg
6736210761.jpg

Well, today is my last track day with my Kawasaki ZX10R. Put a quick shifter on it last year and used it once. I have a few people interested in buying my bike which I'm definitely going to have those conversations but yeah, I'm done taking the risks. Last year my feet came right out from under me descending 3 concrete steps that were covered in wet slippery ice and came down hard on my side where my ribs came into contact with the corner of one of those steps and where I laid there for a few minutes is some pretty good pain. Broke 2 ribs and recovery took forever it seemed.

Now that I'm almost 70 yrs old I don't trust myself that when I get on the track I will push it because I generally do. I've gone down on the track a few times over the years, it's just going to happen and recovery for the most part was quick and for the most part painless, but my reflexes and balance are not what they use to be which is normal when you get older, I've known that, but the reality is I know that lol.

Good bye my friend.

View attachment 84901View attachment 84902

Sad that you are leaving your very beautiful friend. Its probably sensible though. I have to think twice when going for a simple walk these days. I mean, staying safe, not tripping, not taking risks on terrain I would have easily strode over when younger without a thought,

Finally, finally got the outside lights replaced and working (on one, the mounting bracket had stripped, cutting into the hot wire, causing the occasional sparks and circuit breaker tripping):

Plus two lights on the garage side - $300 for the five lights, $200 for the electrician to install them.

He’s coming back next week to put a light over the kitchen sink. After 17 years, I’ll be able to do the dishes without standing in the shadows.

Sad that you are leaving your very beautiful friend. Its probably sensible though. I have to think twice when going for a simple walk these days. I mean, staying safe, not tripping, not taking risks on terrain I would have easily strode over when younger without a thought,
I'm good with my decision and like yourself I've evaluate the threat to my physical self if something was to happen. No regrets. I still have my monster and VFR for street riding and sport cruising, so I'm good with that. Cheers.

I'm good with my decision and like yourself I've evaluate the threat to my physical self if something was to happen. No regrets. I still have my monster and VFR for street riding and sport cruising, so I'm good with that. Cheers.
I am sure you had lots of good times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom