The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Texas (as long as the electric grid holds up), 106F/41C next weekend will suck, but every house, building and car is air conditioned.
When we lived in San Antonio, neither of our vehicles had A/C, since they were both purchased in far upstate NY.

You know it’s hot when you have to wear gloves in the summer because if you don’t, you’ll burn your hands on the steering wheel and gearshift knob.

When we lived in San Antonio, neither of our vehicles had A/C, since they were both purchased in far upstate NY.

You know it’s hot when you have to wear gloves in the summer because if you don’t, you’ll burn your hands on the steering wheel and gearshift knob.
Here, we actually have to keep several blankets and a sunshield in the vehicle from early spring onwards. They live in the vehicle permanently but get most use in the summer months. The first blanket is for the steering wheel and dash board, the second is for the drivers seat and the third for the passenger seat. All car windows in Australia are UV protected, but they also usually end up with see through cloth shields on them as well. Rear doors often get left on with drivers driving around with them in situ. Almost everyone uses the very effective reflective sun shields on the windscreen. Interval mirror and both visors hold them in place when the suckers give up the ghost.

Curiously sunroofs are not called sunroofs and are always closed with the liner pulled closed as well. They are called moonroofs for obvious reasons. I think we've only used either one once and that was to stick some wood through! We bought straps for the roof rack very quickly!

In our main vehicle the seats are 'leather' because we have heated seats (for my back). It's lethal for 9 months of the year.

For most people it's 98.6F, but my normal body temperature is 97.1. I don't know why.
Mine is lower at 36°C... so similar I think. I remember one nurse trying to treat me for hypothermia after an operation because my body temp had fallen to 35.5°C. I was just the right temperature and sleeping off the anaesthetic. I wasn't wanting any extra blankets. But I've always known my normal body temperature was much lower than average. If I'm at 37°C or higher, we know I'm ill!

Here, we actually have to keep several blankets and a sunshield in the vehicle from early spring onwards. They live in the vehicle permanently but get most use in the summer months. The first blanket is for the steering wheel and dash board, the second is for the drivers seat and the third for the passenger seat. All car windows in Australia are UV protected, but they also usually end up with see through cloth shields on them as well. Rear doors often get left on with drivers driving around with them in situ. Almost everyone uses the very effective reflective sun shields on the windscreen. Interval mirror and both visors hold them in place when the suckers give up the ghost.

Curiously sunroofs are not called sunroofs and are always closed with the liner pulled closed as well. They are called moonroofs for obvious reasons. I think we've only used either one once and that was to stick some wood through! We bought straps for the roof rack very quickly!

In our main vehicle the seats are 'leather' because we have heated seats (for my back). It's lethal for 9 months of the year.

I have good window tint everywhere but the windshield (windscreen). The tint on the back seat windows and rear window are pretty dark. You can't go that dark on the front seat windows, by law.

My Audi (and my MINI) have/had double sunroofs. Not good in Texas. I have/had those tinted really dark.

The leather steering wheel does not get that hot. It is grey, not black. The AC system is really strong in the Audi. The car cools off pretty quickly.

CD

I have good window tint everywhere but the windshield (windscreen). The tint on the back seat windows and rear window are pretty dark. You can't go that dark on the front seat windows, by law.

My Audi (and my MINI) have/had double sunroofs. Not good in Texas. I have/had those tinted really dark.

The leather steering wheel does not get that hot. It is grey, not black. The AC system is really strong in the Audi. The car cools off pretty quickly.

CD
Here the UV index is much higher because of the hole in the ozone layer over Australia. It's at its worst in Tasmania and relatively speaking we're not a higher distance from Tasmania. 2 easy days driving.

We have found that when driving into sun, even with the air con at full it can often only just cope, rather than actually get the temperature down to whatever you've set. It's been like that in every vehicle we've had or driven in Australia, so it's not the age of the aircon unit. It's simply the UV index, the heat and so on is just simply too much for a vehicle sized aircon to cope with.

The vehicles we have, and see around, have the same degree tint on all windows except for the windscreen. Even front doors are significantly darker than I'm accustomed to. You don't get sunburnt through the window and there is a massive difference opening a window if you do so in summer. As a fair skinned person (red head with freckles) this is something I've very aware of. In the UK, I frequently caught the sun whilst driving. That doesn't happen here in Australia even wearing a strappy top exposing parts of my arms and shoulders that daylight doesn't normally see. So I'm guessing the sun shielding is close to factor 50 in the windows.

The moon roof has a really heavy thick carpeted second cover, not the flimsy ventilated shade visor we had in the UK vehicles. To be honest, I'm not certain why they bother putting them in Australian vehicles. Little things like fog lamps would be much more useful! (Yep, they don't have to have them and mostly they don't. It's like going back in time 40 years or more and certain areas of Australia frequently get dense fog and we're in one of them. They also don't grit or salt roads. If there's black ice you're just expected to drive carefully... fatalities are common on certain roads in winter. )

In that case we're at 100 to 105 f outside temp this monday and tuesday
I work in Celsius .... Or Kelvins. Fahrenheit is something I have to convert to... I'm pretty much completely metric. I have to take a step back and change things round to talk to older family members.

I don't think that I've ever seen a sun roof here in Thailand. I guess that some import models may have them. Although we do have heated rear windows which seems a little incongruous to me.

It’s hard to see in a picture, but it’s pouring down buckets right now, and has been since about 4AM, thunder and lightening as well. Pretty much the forecast all day today.

It’s about 70F/20C right now.

It’s hard to see in a picture, but it’s pouring down buckets right now, and has been since about 4AM, thunder and lightening as well. Pretty much the forecast all day today.

View attachment 87885
It’s about 70F/20C right now.
I would love that
…and we just lost power. Again. Fourth time this season.
But not this.

Guess there's always something 😉 we're at least lucky that the heat should only last two days.. fingers crossed! 🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom