The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work retail and a customer sauntered in today dressed like Friar Tuck. Long brown (robe? dress?), chain with a giant cross on it and a rope belt. Either the Renaissance festival has started or there's a monastery in the area. I hope it's the latter.
I know you said you moved to Indiana, and I think you’re near the southern (river) border…I know from driving across the state through there (if that’s the area you’re in), there are indeed a couple of monasteries through there.

A lot of wineries, too.

Since I’m not using much flour lately, I’ve been going back through old “What did you cook/eat” topics to see if I have anything interesting I can enter.

Again and again, I see something I posted, and I think, “I don’t remember making that! When did I eat that? What?!?!” :laugh:

I work retail and a customer sauntered in today dressed like Friar Tuck. Long brown (robe? dress?), chain with a giant cross on it and a rope belt. Either the Renaissance festival has started or there's a monastery in the area. I hope it's the latter.
I'd rather the festival myself.

How close are you to Cincinnati?

CD

Well you've got astigmatism and need new glasses and I have presbyopia and am typing on a phone with a small screen and autocorrect...so I guess we both get a pass.
I have to laugh at my hubby. His arms are simply not long enough... however I'm the one with multi focal lenses... he's too stubborn.

I find it difficult to focus in dull lighting. And also have an issue where I can't switch between close up and distance. Close up is fine, but when I look up at the TV to read that or at a signpost, I can't actually focus on it initially. It takes a few moments to minutes for my eyes to actually adjust. The cause is strain on the ligaments controlling focusing. The solution is to make it easier to focus on close up objects (so less strain), so I have to use reading glasses despite not actually needing them for close up work... I'm certain the logic is backwards but it does help. However until I can actually press the character I'm after and not the one to it's side, my 'spelling' and the guesswork of the keyboard swiping and predictive text isn't going to get any better.... once I have my new glasses (hopefully by the weekend), I'll have to reset the dictionary and predictive text features on my phone (yeah, small keyboard doesn't help either) and tablet and teach it all over again! Curiously, I've just tested this by the way, I can focus without my glasses no further away than 12-15cm from my nose. (With my glasses I need a minimum distance of 20-25cm.) Hardly evidence of me needing reading glasses, lol.

I currently reset my dictionary about once a week. That and finding myself holding my head at an angle yet again was how I knew something was amiss again.

At least at present I have an excuse for my word blindness! Dyslexia and tiredness will be the problem next!

I have to laugh at my hubby. His arms are simply not long enough... however I'm the one with multi focal lenses... he's too stubborn.

I find it difficult to focus in dull lighting. And also have an issue where I can't switch between close up and distance. Close up is fine, but when I look up at the TV to read that or at a signpost, I can't actually focus on it initially. It takes a few moments to minutes for my eyes to actually adjust. The cause is strain on the ligaments controlling focusing. The solution is to make it easier to focus on close up objects (so less strain), so I have to use reading glasses despite not actually needing them for close up work... I'm certain the logic is backwards but it does help. However until I can actually press the character I'm after and not the one to it's side, my 'spelling' and the guesswork of the keyboard swiping and predictive text isn't going to get any better.... once I have my new glasses (hopefully by the weekend), I'll have to reset the dictionary and predictive text features on my phone (yeah, small keyboard doesn't help either) and tablet and teach it all over again! Curiously, I've just tested this by the way, I can focus without my glasses no further away than 12-15cm from my nose. (With my glasses I need a minimum distance of 20-25cm.) Hardly evidence of me needing reading glasses, lol.

I currently reset my dictionary about once a week. That and finding myself holding my head at an angle yet again was how I knew something was amiss again.

At least at present I have an excuse for my word blindness! Dyslexia and tiredness will be the problem next!

I have presbyopia, too, which means I need reading glasses. But, I am 61 years old, so that is normal.

I have one thing that really throws a monkey wrench (a spanner for you brits) into the works. My left eye and right eye have different vision. My regular prescription glasses (that I rarely wear) are stronger on the left lens than the right -- by a considerable amount. My drugstore reading glass are the same in both lenses. That really is starting to mess with me at my computer.

I found reading glasses online that you can order with separate correction for each eye. I need to order some.

I don't have a problem with my DLSR camera, as it has a built in diopter to correct for my left eye, my camera eye. A mirrorless camera or smart phone camera requires me to put on my reading glasses, and close my right eye to get a somewhat clear view of the screen. Another reason I don't use them for photography, except the phone if that is what I have handy.

CD

However until I can actually press the character I'm after and not the one to it's side, my 'spelling' and the guesswork of the keyboard swiping and predictive text isn't going to get any better.... once I have my new glasses (hopefully by the weekend), I'll have to reset the dictionary and predictive text features on my phone (yeah, small keyboard doesn't help either) and tablet and teach it all over again!
I'm constantly missing the letter I am typing on my phone and I don't notice it sometimes until later, so I go back and edit my posts. For some weird reason autocorrect doesn't fix some words yet changes others into bizarre or totally comical ones.

I have presbyopia, too, which means I need reading glasses. But, I am 61 years old, so that is normal.

I have one thing that really throws a monkey wrench (a spanner for you brits) into the works. My left eye and right eye have different vision. My regular prescription glasses (that I rarely wear) are stronger on the left lens than the right -- by a considerable amount. My drugstore reading glass are the same in both lenses. That really is starting to mess with me at my computer.

I found reading glasses online that you can order with separate correction for each eye. I need to order some.

I don't have a problem with my DLSR camera, as it has a built in diopter to correct for my left eye, my camera eye. A mirrorless camera or smart phone camera requires me to put on my reading glasses, and close my right eye to get a somewhat clear view of the screen. Another reason I don't use them for photography, except the phone if that is what I have handy.

CD
My eyesight is significantly different in each eye so off the shelf reading glasses are simply not an option, especially when i can't focus on anything 15cm passed the end of my nose! I have to have prescription glasses/sunglasses/reading glasses. And needing magnification to ease my eye strain means prescription multi focal lenses are my only option (with built in polarisation). I don't even try standing up without my glasses on. I can't balance easily (made worse by the partial paralysis in my right leg, worst on the underneath of my foot). Contact lenses haven't been able to correct my vision since I was 20. And I can't get anything strong enough to correct any part of my eyesight for my Canon EOS 5D iii. Glasses are my only option. I always have a backup pair available just in case... it goes without saying my glasses are not cheap. Usually $750-1,000 a pair. But it would cost more to have 3 sets and drive me mad trying to constantly switch between them all... and any sunglasses would have to be prescription lenses anyway (my vision is -4 in one eye and down to -5¼ in the other, it was at -6 in both from a head injury at university). I can't remember what the astigmatism is at but I did know it can not be corrected by modern contact lenses unless I have monthly lenses and it isn't a great correction only the closest that's made, and not good enough for me to be able to drive wearing them... so 1 set does all and I hope like anything that I don't have to change them too often. I've gone 18 months on this set. Probably 3 months too long!

I'm constantly missing the letter I am typing on my phone and I don't notice it sometimes until later, so I go back and edit my posts. For some weird reason autocorrect doesn't fix some words yet changes others into bizarre or totally comical ones.
Yep.... i find tilting my head clarifies the vision in one eye but not the other (my astigmatism changed only in 1 eye this time around! ) and it's that head slanting that's my big clue. My aim (I used to shoot usually holes in a piece of paper! ) was especially good, so missing the letter on a digital keyboard had me wondering especially as things have gotten exceptionally bad tree decently recently, more so than journal, normal.

You're lucky you can't see how many times I actually edit my parts pists posts posts...

That's fantastic news for you. I hope the patches help you.
Thanks! I got the patches and also asked for the pain training you suggested, he gave me a link to an online training. So thanks again! :hug:

I slept for 11 hours last night! First night with almost no pain in 6 months.. what a relief.

My eyesight is significantly different in each eye so off the shelf reading glasses are simply not an option, especially when i can't focus on anything 15cm passed the end of my nose! I have to have prescription glasses/sunglasses/reading glasses. And needing magnification to ease my eye strain means prescription multi focal lenses are my only option (with built in polarisation). I don't even try standing up without my glasses on. I can't balance easily (made worse by the partial paralysis in my right leg, worst on the underneath of my foot). Contact lenses haven't been able to correct my vision since I was 20. And I can't get anything strong enough to correct any part of my eyesight for my Canon EOS 5D iii. Glasses are my only option. I always have a backup pair available just in case... it goes without saying my glasses are not cheap. Usually $750-1,000 a pair. But it would cost more to have 3 sets and drive me mad trying to constantly switch between them all... and any sunglasses would have to be prescription lenses anyway (my vision is -4 in one eye and down to -5¼ in the other, it was at -6 in both from a head injury at university). I can't remember what the astigmatism is at but I did know it can not be corrected by modern contact lenses unless I have monthly lenses and it isn't a great correction only the closest that's made, and not good enough for me to be able to drive wearing them... so 1 set does all and I hope like anything that I don't have to change them too often. I've gone 18 months on this set. Probably 3 months too long!

Somehow, I'm not surprised that your vision is that messed up. I was hit by a fast moving boat and was knocked out for 30 minutes -- 28 stitches and a concussion -- with no long term damage. What kind of head injury did you have? Were you hit with a cricket bat?

Anyway, Canon does make a add-on diopter for the EOS 5D III, but it is not adjustable. The Nikon D4 has it built into the viewfinder, and it is adjustable.

My driver's license says I am supposed to wear glasses, but I don't like driving with glasses on. If I get a fine, I'll just pay it.

The reading glasses are the problem I need to tend to right now, because it is messing with me when I work at my computer.

CD

I have my handphone connected via Bluetooth to my laptop so I am able to use the laptop keyboard. Before I enabled that facility it would take me forever to compose a simple sentence (correctly).

I have my handphone connected via Bluetooth to my laptop so I am able to use the laptop keyboard. Before I enabled that facility it would take me forever to compose a simple sentence (correctly).
I do so much better when typing with one of my desktops or my laptop, but if I'm in the forum using my phone it's because I am nowhere near any of my computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom