The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck to all, who are in danger by the weather. Here in Germany autumn started super smooth, just with minor rain and still sunny days.

Still I can't feel happy about it, as my workplace starts to get very toxic, hope it's just a period.

It's been broadcast over the village Tannoys. The local reservoir is about to overflow therefore they will be fully opening the sluice gates tonight or tomorrow.

Here we go again........ (this was September 2013 when they fully opened the gates)

Does it flood your house? :ohmy:

In that instance in 2013, we had 100 mm deep water in the lounge and bedrooms, and 200 mm in the bathrooms and kitchen (which have lower floor levels).

The cost of replacing the damaged furniture, etc., was in the region of ฿200,000.00 (about £4,000.00 at the time) although it wasn't like-for-like. The council promised to reimburse ฿2,000.00, which I never received.

The Hallmark Channel has released the list of their 2022 holiday movies, more than 40! :eek:

They start broadcasting 21 Oct, so mark your calendars, either to tune in or tune out, but mark them either way.

No way am I tuning in! Well I don't think we get that channel here anyway (thankfully).

In that instance in 2013, we had 100 mm deep water in the lounge and bedrooms, and 200 mm in the bathrooms and kitchen (which have lower floor levels).

The cost of replacing the damaged furniture, etc., was in the region of ฿200,000.00 (about £4,000.00 at the time) although it wasn't like-for-like. The council promised to reimburse ฿2,000.00, which I never received.

Oh my! I really hope you don't have a repeat of that. Have you started moving furniture upstairs? Or maybe you don't have an upstairs? :ohmy:

It hasn't stopped raining yet... the creek in the back field which is normally dry, is back and the dams are overflowing. The car is also white from hail following a thunderstorm.

This was taken at the start of the thunderstorm. All of that grass is hidden now and it's white outside (I'm nebulising at present so no picture). Towards the end of the storm, we received a text message from our cat insurance to say there was a hail thunderstorm in the area and to get vehicles under cover !

I'm not sure warning us after the event is actually useful. Lol.

We've taken (like most people locally) to photographing or recording hail storms hitting vehicles for the timestamp on photos. The month before covid hit, there was a freak hailstorm that hit Canberra and damaged 10,000s of vehicles with huge dents and smashed windows and windscreens in most vehicles. It was that bad that the insurance companies had to hire out fields near to the airport to store vehicles for the insurance claims and it wiped out at spares and second hand vehicles in the area. Vehicles were being transported 600km to get them repaired because the garages were too busy and overwhelmed with the volume of repairs.... it's common to see vehicles driving around with debts in the main body of the vehicle (roof etc) and some that simply had glass replaced nothing more.

Oh my! I really hope you don't have a repeat of that. Have you started moving furniture upstairs? Or maybe you don't have an upstairs? :ohmy:

We don't have an upstairs. Although I was only 50 when I designed the house, I had visions of difficulties climbing stairs as I got older. And I was right.

We learnt from 2013 to store anything at risk that's on the floor in big plastic trunks. Also the replacement furniture (3 wardrobes and 3 beds) and the fitted kitchen are now teak wood (licenced) instead of chipboard.

Last edited:
The Hallmark Channel has released the list of their 2022 holiday movies, more than 40! :eek:

They start broadcasting 21 Oct, so mark your calendars, either to tune in or tune out, but mark them either way.

Being the Hallmark Channel, every one of those movies will have roughly the same plot.

1664330614818.jpeg

Oh yes, and in every movie, it will be a very white Christmas. :scratchhead:

CD

I hope our CB members in Florida are prepared and safe. Hurricane Ian is getting stronger by the hour. I believe most of you are on the East coast of Florida, but things could still get ugly there.

Keep us posted.

View attachment 90758

CD
This has just made the news here. Not looking good.

Being the Hallmark Channel, every one of those movies will have roughly the same plot.
How dare you, sir! I repeat, how dare you!

They will all be one of three plots - saving small town from evil real estate developer, saving small town business (usually a bakery) from closure or takeover, or poor American woman who somehow gets hired by European aristocracy (nanny, art restorer, that sort of thing) and marries the sad, reclusive, but jaw-droppingly handsome prince!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom