The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except for pensioners that live in countries where pension increases are not permitted. But that's OK because at present we cannot legally vote anyway. What happened to the Tory promise that overseas Brits would be allowed to vote in the future?
You used the phrase 'Tory promise' I think you answered your own question. 😁

It's maybe the Buddhist teachings but my wife would go out of her way to prevent any "animal" (other than mosquitos and ants) from being killed and I've become of similar mind* (not Buddhist though).

*except flies that encroach on my beer!
I tend to stick to the same philosophy - not Buddhist either. I´m digging up the garden, turn over a lump of wood - scorpion attached. Brushing away some dead leaves - snake flies out. Ignore. No flies get near my beer. Between me and the dog, they don´t stand a chance.

The snakes, scorpions and crabs are only a minor problem.

It's maybe the Buddhist teachings but my wife would go out of her way to prevent any "animal" (other than mosquitos and ants) from being killed and I've become of similar mind* (not Buddhist though).

*except flies that encroach on my beer!

Although she eats fish, chicken, pork and seafood. Go figure.
I think you possibly misunderstood...

It would be the scorpion or snake doing the killing, not you. You'd be doing the saving.

Hence:
Yeah, why kill the thing that could be going to save your life? Lol.

The papaya tree didn't like all that water.....

Hurricane Ian did a real number on Western Florida. Then it crossed the peninsula, losing it's hurricane strength and went into the Atlantic, and became a Hurricane again! :eek: Now it is heading for Georgia/South Carolina.

Here is Fort Myers, Florida...

1664501707320.jpeg

The homes still standing are newer, and were built to new building standards. They are still ruined inside, but most can be fixed.

CD

Welcome to Dutch/British autumn. But yeah that should be strange in Thailand. Fingers crossed for you 🤞

It brightened up later and no rain. In fact there has been no rain now for about 36 hours. The water level receded about 50 mm but then increased again. It's now about 180 mm lower than our lowest floor.

The sky is not cloudless but the sun finds it's way through regularly. And the temperature is in the 30s for the first time this week.

Last edited:
It brightened up later and no rain. In fact there has been no rain now for about 36 hours. The water level receded about 50 mm but then increased again. It's now about 180 mm lower than our lowest floor.

The sky is not cloudless but the sun finds it's way through regularly. And the temperature is in the 30s for the first time this week.

Glad to hear it, hope it doesn't flood any further!

I shouldn't have said that. It's just started raining again, albeit very light rain.

[Edit - and it stopped after a few minutes].

Last edited:
CRIKEY!!!
medtran49 and CraigC is everything okey-dokey ??
Yes, we live on the other coast, just some heavy rain and wind for us. There were a couple of tornados south of us that did substantial damage in very, very small areas and some flooding, that was worse because of King tides occurring right now.

Our DD and DGDs live in the area that was hardest hit, but they live inland so didn't suffer storm surge damage. Their house made it through with minimal damage but there's a lot of mess to clean up outside. DD and oldest DGD work in school system so they will have jobs to go back to, youngest in last year of high school, and the other 2 household members don't know yet.

Yesterday was a long day for us because last time we heard from them was just after 8 Wednesday night and it was after 5 yesterday afternoon when we heard from the only 1 of 5 of them that finally got enough cell service to text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom