The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW!
What a time it's been for the past two weeks.
I went out to run some errands on November 3rd and got a text from my husband to come home, “there’s been an issue”.
I got home to find him in bed, still dressed in his tennis shoes and all.
My husband has been having dizzy spells for a few months now and kept saying “something doesn’t feel right”, all the while holding his chest.
Right after I had left, he lost consciousness and fell over from the kitchen table, landing on his shoulder. I asked him what he wanted to do and the consensus was let’s go to the Emergency Room.
For whatever the reason, the triage nurse did an EKG and then hooked him up to a heart monitoring device.
He was in full blown non-sustained Ventricular Tachycardia – not good at all! A “Crash Cart” and about 15 people rushed into the room ready for action.
They finally got him semi-stable and was transferred to another hospital in our area that could take better care of him.
He was in this unit for three days until they could transport him again to Banner University Medical Center in Phoenix. He stayed another three days there and was doing much better. The fantastic Cardiologist/Electrophysiologist wanted to do an Ablation of the affected area of my husband’s heart but couldn’t schedule it for 2-3 weeks and sent us home.
We got a phone call 2 days later to come back and that Doctor would operate, yeah!
Doctor told us that ever since we left, we’d been on his mind and wanted to give us a solution to all this as soon as he could, so he did some shifting and got us in much sooner than expected.
The Ablation was a huge success, but Doctor wanted to add an insurance policy of an ICD just to protect him fully. My poor dear went back into surgery about 3 hours later. THAT was a long day. We were in the hospital from 630am and I left at about 9pm, because visiting hours were over.
Doctor and his team thought it best that he spend the night to monitor to device. They sprung him this past Tuesday.
Seeing as we were both utterly exhausted, we spent another night at the hotel that we had booked for the night before surgery.
I haven’t had a chance to sit down and have a good cry, yet, but I will.

WOW!
What a time it's been for the past two weeks.
I went out to run some errands on November 3rd and got a text from my husband to come home, “there’s been an issue”.
I got home to find him in bed, still dressed in his tennis shoes and all.
My husband has been having dizzy spells for a few months now and kept saying “something doesn’t feel right”, all the while holding his chest.
Right after I had left, he lost consciousness and fell over from the kitchen table, landing on his shoulder. I asked him what he wanted to do and the consensus was let’s go to the Emergency Room.
For whatever the reason, the triage nurse did an EKG and then hooked him up to a heart monitoring device.
He was in full blown non-sustained Ventricular Tachycardia – not good at all! A “Crash Cart” and about 15 people rushed into the room ready for action.
They finally got him semi-stable and was transferred to another hospital in our area that could take better care of him.
He was in this unit for three days until they could transport him again to Banner University Medical Center in Phoenix. He stayed another three days there and was doing much better. The fantastic Cardiologist/Electrophysiologist wanted to do an Ablation of the affected area of my husband’s heart but couldn’t schedule it for 2-3 weeks and sent us home.
We got a phone call 2 days later to come back and that Doctor would operate, yeah!
Doctor told us that ever since we left, we’d been on his mind and wanted to give us a solution to all this as soon as he could, so he did some shifting and got us in much sooner than expected.
The Ablation was a huge success, but Doctor wanted to add an insurance policy of an ICD just to protect him fully. My poor dear went back into surgery about 3 hours later. THAT was a long day. We were in the hospital from 630am and I left at about 9pm, because visiting hours were over.
Doctor and his team thought it best that he spend the night to monitor to device. They sprung him this past Tuesday.
Seeing as we were both utterly exhausted, we spent another night at the hotel that we had booked for the night before surgery.

We've been worried about you. I checked the other forum we belong to, and noticed that you hadn't been there lately, either. CG was worried, too.

I'm glad it worked out. A good friend of mine had the same thing happen. He was on the stairs when it happened, and messed up his right arm pretty badly. It required surgery. He has had an ICG in his chest for a good six months, and he barely notices it now. He's at the point now where he is making jokes about the ticking time bomb in his chest. They are more common than I thought.

CD

Mahalo, thanks caseydog
It's been a time, let me tell you.
Living in a rural area, it's a given that you're going to have to go into the big city for some things. At first they wanted to take him down by Helicopter, but the attending ER Cardio said he was okay to go by ambulance. The EMT that took him both times said that he really should have been flown, he was not doing good. His heart rate at some points got up to over 280 💩 The look on that poor kids face! Not my first rodeo though.
He was diagnosed with V-Tach back in Hawaii in 2000 during ACL surgery.
He's been on meds all this time with no issues, til now.
Both DH and I figure this has been going on for maybe a year :ohmy:
The EMT told DH, "Boss, you're my hero! I've never seen anything like this before and here you are walking, talking, totally coherent." He felt just a little tightness in his chest, that's all. The Doc in Honolulu told us that DH's constitution is is great that he survives this 💩

I did now
IMG_2302.JPG

Yesterday was not a good day for DH, but today is much better.
As we sat down to have our coffee this morning, he gave me this ... I bawled my eyes out and hugged him so tight!

It's freezing outside (going to go to -10 this weekend, snow predicted) and I had a meltdown because of the amount of pain I had this morning for walking about 2.5 miles.
My husband helped me write a letter to our doctor, whom we're going to see next week. This is getting out of hand.

I've had that many times and AF too (atrial fibrillation). I use medication to control it. I've lost count of the number of A&E emergency ambulance visits over the last 20 years. But I'm still here and resisting having ablation, as in the UK at least its not 100% effective and also I hate any sort of op.

Sounds like your husband received very fast treatment (here there is a long waiting list for ablation). Anyway - I'm glad he has been treated and maybe you can relax a bit now.

Buffalo, NY is getting hammered with snow right now. Over four feet has fallen today, and it’s still snowing there.

I always had a hankering to live in Buffalo, but MrsT would never agree. I’d still live there!

Buffalo, NY is getting hammered with snow right now. Over four feet has fallen today, and it’s still snowing there.

I always had a hankering to live in Buffalo, but MrsT would never agree. I’d still live there!
Now they’re over five feet with the snow!

You must be hugging your snow shovel about now, wishing you could be in Buffalo. :wink:

CD
I’ve been through several snowfalls in the 3-4 foot range, and the bad thing was, being in Minnesota, that didn’t really get me anything. I still had to be in the office that morning!

I know this’ll cause some deaths (two already, last time I checked), and that’s always sad, but as long as the power’s on and there’s food in house, I love that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom