The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in Chester many years ago, the council supplied plastic bin bags free of charge to the populous.and were considering having the bags printed with "NOT FOR HOT ASHES". One councilor pointed out that anyone stupid enough to put hot ashes into a plastic bin bag probably couldn't read anyway.
Like the necessity for putting 'contains hot liquid' on coffee cups ?

I remember a holiday on the Isle of Wight in the heatwave of 1976. There was a fire in the beach huts which was exciting and we saw the QE2 sail past from Southampton.
Talking of cruise ships from Southampton, My mum could see the giant cruise ships on Southampton Water from her hospital bed last week. She finally had her replacement hip redone. I stayed with my parents for a week, looking after my dad, taking him to visit mum and then bringing her home on Thursday evening. They have friends and neighbours checking up on them and doing anything they need which is wonderful.
I've had rather a busy summer, I've just worked out that I only slept in my own bed for 15 nights since breaking up from school on the 21st July! Time to get back to normal now.

.....and we saw the QE2 sail past from Southampton.
I remember that! We were on the beach near Lymington, and my late sister and her husband were on the IoW side watching it. Brilliant!
Somewhere I've got a photo of the s.s. United States leaving Southampton and just entering the Solent. It was taken from on board a small boat. One of the first photos I ever took in the 1950s.

It was like a bloodbath in my house this morning. Claret everywhere. On my hands, down my arms, all over my clothes, on the furniture, on the carpet. I'm still finding dried blood all over the place. And it was my blood! I had to take one of the cats (Rocky) to the vet :( She's a feisty one is that one. And I've got to take her back next week :( :wink:
P.S. Now you all know why the 30+ kg mutt is frightened of a 3 kg cat :D

It was like a bloodbath in my house this morning. Claret everywhere. On my hands, down my arms, all over my clothes, on the furniture, on the carpet. I'm still finding dried blood all over the place. And it was my blood! I had to take one of the cats (Rocky) to the vet :( She's a feisty one is that one. And I've got to take her back next week :( :wink:
P.S. Now you all know why the 30+ kg mutt is frightened of a 3 kg cat :D
Always considered a beast with a set of razor sharp fish hooks on each foot + teeth + a temper about as predictable as a bottle of nitro glycerine as far more risky than a dog with only one set of teeth anyway. Still love 'em though [even though ours is getting a little circular in her old age].

Always considered a beast with a set of razor sharp fish hooks on each foot + teeth + a temper about as predictable as a bottle of nitro glycerine as far more risky than a dog with only one set of teeth anyway. Still love 'em though [even though ours is getting a little circular in her old age].
Giving her two lots of medication is fun too. One is a liquid, so given via a syringe, and the other is tablets. The liquid should be easy - yeah right! It's about as easy as giving the tablets. The vet said just open her mouth and pop the meds right at the back of her throat. Trying to prise her mouth open while avoiding the sharp pointy things and the thin sharp metal slicing things is a work of art in itself, without having to get her actually to swallow the stuff. I called Polly (the elderly one) over, thinking that may distract her. No chance. And I swear Polly said "Do you think I've got a death wish, woman?" They obviously don't call the black ones panthers for nothing. I fact it would probably be easier to give the meds to a panther :laugh:

We used to swaddle our kitty in a towel before administering any medication. But there were two of us against one cat. The swaddling also helped when we had to trim claws. You do what you have to do, I guess!

My back garden is starting to resemble "High Chaparral" .........

cows 2 s.jpg

I spent a few minutes this afternoon watching two fellows clearing stuff out of a nearby flat and depositing said junk onto the back of a truck. It was not, it must be admitted, the smoothest operation I have ever seen. In fact, I was reminded of that film where Laurel and Hardy attempt to move a piano downstairs.

I spent a few minutes this afternoon watching two fellows clearing stuff out of a nearby flat and depositing said junk onto the back of a truck. It was not, it must be admitted, the smoothest operation I have ever seen. In fact, I was reminded of that film where Laurel and Hardy attempt to move a piano downstairs.
Round our way, especially when clearing the elderly people's flats, they just chuck it out of the windows and let is all smash to smithereens.

I wished I had three pairs of hands tonight. I picked up THAT black cat and plonked myself and her on the sofa to give her her medication. The look of sheer horror on the mutt's face was priceless :laugh:

I left my house earlier to get my hair cut, lovely and sunny so didn't wear a jacket or take a brolley. When I left the hairdresser the heavens opened, I was soaked by the time I got home, My hair now looks a right mess :(
Oh no bad timing! Is it still a short style?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom