The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been a pleasant enough day here with a fair amount of sunshine. I went out this afternoon and wore a light jumper, in which I felt a little overdressed when the sun was shining directly on me. I passed a fellow in the high street. He was wearing a heavy overcoat, under which I could see a fleece. He was also wearing a woolly hat and thermal gloves.

I felt like going up to him and asking, "What do you wear when it's cold?"

One of my worst nightmares happened this morning. I was driving back in the car alone having just taken my daughter to work. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed something large and black drop onto the passenger seat. You've guessed it - a HUGE black spider! I couldn't stop the car as I was on a main road and even if I could have done I don't know how I would have dealt with it. If I'm in a situation alone at home I can just about manage the glass and a piece of card technique. Obviously I had no glass to hand. It disappeared under my handbag which was on the seat. I managed to drive home in a state of frozen horror without it appearing again and then asked my partner to go and remove it (I didn't dare move my bag).

Needless to say, it wasn't there! I said well, we have to find it or I can never drive my car again! We proceeded to take everything out of the car, checked under seats etc. No sign. What to do now?

My only thought is to fumigate the car with insect spray. Everyone thinks I'm being melodramatic - but the problem is my reaction to seeing a spider this close to me when I can't move away is hard wired and potentially dangerous if I'm driving. Any advice welcome.
Sorry, no advice whatsoever. Spiders are an absolute nightmare. The last time I got into the car, there was a web across the steering wheel! The only other similar nightmare I have had was sharing my car with a rather angry wasp.

This evening we had a meal at Casa Romana in town, it is my birthday and that is what I wanted to do. A bottle of prosecco, starter was black ink ravioli with crab and seabass utter heaven.

Blood bath no. 2!
And no, it wasn't THAT cat, it was the elderly one. Trying to give her a worming tablet. I tried putting it in chicken. She spat it out. I tried putting it in sardines. She spat it out. She was wrapped in a thick blanket, and I had gloves on. No chance. She now has bits of tablet stuck all round her mouth, and with a bit of luck she'll lick it all off.
Lenny had his, hidden in his dinner. THAT cat had hers (I let the vet give it to her).
Me? I had bits of kitchen towel and sticking plasters wrapped round my hands and fingers, and there was blood all over the kitchen floor, in the sink, and down the door.
P.S. Every meal the elderly cat had since was sniffed at suspiciously and taste tested. Before eating, she also raked it with her claws just in case I'd hidden anything inside it.

For reasons that are unaccountable, I spend a short while yesterday listening to a dull and largely pointless discussion about payments for early boarding on planes. This is a concept I have never grasped. Quite why anyone would want to pay extra just so they can sit on a stationary aeroplane for half an hour longer than other passengers defeats me.

I suppose it all comes down to the sucker-born-every-minute concept.

For reasons that are unaccountable, I spend a short while yesterday listening to a dull and largely pointless discussion about payments for early boarding on planes. This is a concept I have never grasped. Quite why anyone would want to pay extra just so they can sit on a stationary aeroplane for half an hour longer than other passengers defeats me.

I used to try and board last or close to last. Hoping that all the pillocks blocking the aisles trying to cram their oversized carry-ons into the overheads had actually succeeded or given up before I got there.

Blood bath no. 2!
And no, it wasn't THAT cat, it was the elderly one. Trying to give her a worming tablet. I tried putting it in chicken. She spat it out. I tried putting it in sardines. She spat it out. She was wrapped in a thick blanket, and I had gloves on. No chance. She now has bits of tablet stuck all round her mouth, and with a bit of luck she'll lick it all off.
Lenny had his, hidden in his dinner. THAT cat had hers (I let the vet give it to her).
Me? I had bits of kitchen towel and sticking plasters wrapped round my hands and fingers, and there was blood all over the kitchen floor, in the sink, and down the door.
P.S. Every meal the elderly cat had since was sniffed at suspiciously and taste tested. Before eating, she also raked it with her claws just in case I'd hidden anything inside it.

Oh that sounds awful :hug:

It is rather bazaar :scratchhead:

I used to try and board last or close to last. Hoping that all the pillocks blocking the aisles trying to cram their oversized carry-ons into the overheads had actually succeeded or given up before I got there.

It is annoying when folks have huge bags that take up so much space that others struggle to find room for theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom