The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday evening I developed a rash on my body, very itchy and painful, had an antihystamine, it eased off, yesterday all was ok but when I went to bed the itching started again so I got up and took another hystamine, my head and neck were fine but the rest of me was covered in a rash, red, itchy and blotches all over. It eased off after taking the hystamine. Today my feet and ankles have a rash and itchy, this evening red and itchy but not as bad. Maybe the meds meds maybe the E45 itch relief cream are helping, either way I have no idea what has triggered this but with it starting Tuesday after cheese club nettles are the obvious culprit because it is the only thing different in my life.
Obviously I'm not a medical expert but (buy consumption) nettle allergies are immediate, breathing issues, tightness of chest/lungs, tingling in the lips and tongue, throat etc with the airways closing up. It's pretty immediate and life threatening. I get the same eating any dairy product even in the smallest quantity. It's why I carry an epipen, to buy time for an ambulance to arrive.

The symptoms you are describing are something I periodically suffer from as well with no obvious cause. I've found the best cause of action is a good branded version of an antihistamine tablet (sometimes 2, i know zirtek is safe up to 20mg a day which is what I'm prescribed) and a cool shower to wash off whatever I've come into contact with. I've always assumed airborne whether pollen, perfume or pollutant. I have both psoriasis continually and ecesma occasionally (plus a dyslexic keyboard this afternoon!).

Curiously from an allergy point of view, stinging nettles have traditionally been used to treat hayfever symptoms including runny noses, itching eyes and sneezing. Stinging nettles seeds are a powerful adrenal stimulant, something of interest to me because my adrenal glands don't function properly. I have Addison's disease.

My best guess if it was me with this reaction would be either a cleaning product in the area I was in, this detested plug in air fresheners or someone wearing a perfume my skin doesn't tolerate. I would have all of these symptoms and they generally only clear after a shower and antihistamine tablet combined (plus a good sleep). Typical antihistamine cream is also sometimes needed by myself.

But as I stressed at the beginning, I'm not medically qualified, just saying what I have experienced or know from herbal studies and a b-i-l who did a herbal studies degree.

Rolled 50 chicken croquettes and dredged then crumbed. In to the freezer. Should last 6 months. They are very popular here.

Russ
sounds like you're in the wrong thread to me! Should be what have you eaten/cooked today! Bet that took some time.
I've had a very busy morning as well.

1. washed down the veranda table. It was a freebie 3 summers ago when we first came to Australia, picked it up off freecycle. Lovely pine (or similar, too heavy for pine but looks like it) table and 3 chairs. well its time for someone this weekend to sand it down. I have a bad shoulder and it is on strict rest so that it can heal itself without an operation (which I really want to avoid, plus last time I had bursitis (in the elbow that time I ended up with an emergency op to prevent septicaemia!) so I really am resting it. Then I can varnish it next week. Sanding will be too much for my shoulder - varnishing is something I can do with my left hand being ambidextrous).
  2. I washed 2 of the long bedside runners that protect the carpet. Can't do that in winter because they don't dry very quickly being really thick handwoven rag runners, but today is 20C so plenty warm enough to get them dry.
  3. then a loaf of bread has been made (and some eaten for lunch). My battles with the mixture combination continue... I have dropped from 5g of yeast to 4g, from 350ml of water to 300ml water, with the same 600g of (new) multigrain flour mix. they provide the yeast and the best that can be said is that it is too active! The loaf grew that much that it left the tin and touched the top of the viewing glass yet again, but it was a better dough mix this time - so I have the water combination correct. The instructions say 600g flour mix, 370ml water plus or minus 30ml... well we are well under on that but I have that one sussed. The next loaf will only have 3g of yeast. I have even bought new small weight scales that weigh to 0.01g (I needed them for other low weight items such as the chicken antibiotics that dissolve in water for the next round of spring I am going to be a mum wannerbies).
  4. been to the letterbox (and back obviously)... needed to collect the must sign for parcel that was left there unsigned for... that's what happens in rural Aus otherwise I get a piece of paper telling me I need to drive 32km to collect the parcel that I could have just had a text message for to say it had been left in my letterbox 500meters away. At least this one is only 500meters away unlike our last one which was 4km away and too small for even then smallest of parcels, so I always had a 24km drive to collect the parcels.
  5. Made an entry for the current ingredient challenge - that is a challenge because I'm on a diet so it's not fair having sugar....
  6. and in theory if not in practice I am doing work on here - I have actually, but am just waiting for 2pm to come along for some meds to take, then I'll get a drink and settle down to the big stuff I want to change that morning glory is going to silently moan at me again for changing the featured threads add-on. I suspect I'll have to kill all of the settings on the old one first loosing everything done (again!) before I can play with the new one and get it working...
  7. the rental agents have been on the phone to check that work they have been invoiced for has been done. Err, no it hasn't... they are going to look into it.
  8. And i have had every herb and spice out of my herb and spice shelf so that I could raise it in order to make the shelf below bigger because I have a new toy. I can't chop or mix or do anything with this shoulder issue, so it was crunch time on Wednesday and I now have a food processor. I had a mini one but wasn't using it because it was way too small for 2 people and virtually all of my recipes that needed it. So it (a magimix mini plus), the kenwood chef and the kitchenaid stick blender have all been sidelined because this new one does all of those jobs. Hopefully we will be able to get rid of them and this new Magimix Patisserie should do the same job along with the Vitamix blender I have and the spice grinder. I will be very sad to say goodbye to the Kenwood chef if itis the case that I no longer need one because I have grown up with them and used them all my life, but this new Magimix has a seperate bowl that does the same job... I'll be writing about it elsewhere soon.
Well that's the 2pm alarm, so I'm off for a drink (coffee and lemon squash seperately and some meds, and then I'll be back to tinker... sorry install and setup a new add-on!! !

Day after day of glorious weather here. Blue skies and perfect 'not too hot' temperatures. :sun:

It was finally less than 90F today here in Dallas. We may get some rain tomorrow from the remnants of Tropical Storm Imelda. We could certainly use the rain, and the coast needs that storm to move out.

I talked to my best friend a few hours ago down in Port Arthur, where I grew up. There have been over 1,000 rescues in the last 24 hours of people trapped by flooding. Some people recently moved back into their homes after rebuilding from Hurricane Harvey in 2017, and now they are flooded out again.

When I was growing up down there, this happened every ten to twenty years. Now it happens every year or two.

CD

It was finally less than 90F today here in Dallas. We may get some rain tomorrow from the remnants of Tropical Storm Imelda. We could certainly use the rain, and the coast needs that storm to move out.

I talked to my best friend a few hours ago down in Port Arthur, where I grew up. There have been over 1,000 rescues in the last 24 hours of people trapped by flooding. Some people recently moved back into their homes after rebuilding from Hurricane Harvey in 2017, and now they are flooded out again.

When I was growing up down there, this happened every ten to twenty years. Now it happens every year or two.

CD

Something similar is going on here as well. Droughts used to be every 20-30 years. Lake George, a lake in name only and one that my husband drives passed on a regular basis, can be seen by satellite imaging to periodically be dry. Now it is a tourist attraction when there is water in it. We didn't understand when we first moved over to Australia what all the fuss was about the lake having water in it. - Don't get me wrong, this isn't a small lake by any means and there are memorials to entire families lost to it in the middle of the last centaury. Now the only thing that ploughs up and down it are the tractors. Sheep and cattle now live on it (along with mobs of kangaroos and wallabies) and after rain, we play the game of is there any water. The only real way to get a picture of water in Lake George is to take a photo of a bottle of water you brought with you... We desperately need the rain. To give you an idea of the size of 'Lake George' it is 25km long and at its widest 10km wide. It should be 150km square to a depth of 7.5m. It is dry and virtually the entire time we have been here, except for a portion of our first winter (we arrived in that winter) it has been dry. It has no natural outlet so the only way out is evaporation. Every lake in the area is dry, even after torrential rain. We need months of rain to replace the water table which is increasingly low here. We live off rain water and rain water only. It is all we have and when that tank is dry, we are stuck.
The last few years have seen alarmingly little rainfall in the winter months which are meant to be the wettest (June, July, August). July this year saw a grand total of 5.0mm of rain for the entire winter month! In fact the whole of winter saw 18.0+5.0+17.8mm of rain (40.8mm or 4.1cm of rain in across the entire winter). Summer rain is mostly from thunderstorms which are pretty hit and miss and tend to be so heavy and sudden that the ground can't actually absorb it, so it runs off into the rivers and waterways and is useless to the ground.

1568956242645.png

Tuesday evening I developed a rash on my body, very itchy and painful, had an antihystamine, it eased off, yesterday all was ok but when I went to bed the itching started again so I got up and took another hystamine, my head and neck were fine but the rest of me was covered in a rash, red, itchy and blotches all over. It eased off after taking the hystamine. Today my feet and ankles have a rash and itchy, this evening red and itchy but not as bad. Maybe the meds maybe the E45 itch relief cream are helping, either way I have no idea what has triggered this but with it starting Tuesday after cheese club nettles are the obvious culprit because it is the only thing different in my life.

My sympathy. I've had two bouts of similar. It may be hives - which can simply flare up and disappear just as quickly. Hives can appear for no apparent reason or can be due to an allergic reaction. See here: Hives and Your Skin

My sympathy. I've had two bouts of similar. It may be hives - which can simply flare up and disappear just as quickly. Hives can appear for no apparent reason or can be due to an allergic reaction. See here: Hives and Your Skin

That sounds pretty much like it but there was nothing above my collarbone so no breathing issues, definitely a reaction to something but if not nettles then I don't know what :scratchhead:

Obviously I'm not a medical expert but (buy consumption) nettle allergies are immediate, breathing issues, tightness of chest/lungs, tingling in the lips and tongue, throat etc with the airways closing up. It's pretty immediate and life threatening. I get the same eating any dairy product even in the smallest quantity. It's why I carry an epipen, to buy time for an ambulance to arrive.

The symptoms you are describing are something I periodically suffer from as well with no obvious cause. I've found the best cause of action is a good branded version of an antihistamine tablet (sometimes 2, i know zirtek is safe up to 20mg a day which is what I'm prescribed) and a cool shower to wash off whatever I've come into contact with. I've always assumed airborne whether pollen, perfume or pollutant. I have both psoriasis continually and ecesma occasionally (plus a dyslexic keyboard this afternoon!).

Curiously from an allergy point of view, stinging nettles have traditionally been used to treat hayfever symptoms including runny noses, itching eyes and sneezing. Stinging nettles seeds are a powerful adrenal stimulant, something of interest to me because my adrenal glands don't function properly. I have Addison's disease.

My best guess if it was me with this reaction would be either a cleaning product in the area I was in, this detested plug in air fresheners or someone wearing a perfume my skin doesn't tolerate. I would have all of these symptoms and they generally only clear after a shower and antihistamine tablet combined (plus a good sleep). Typical antihistamine cream is also sometimes needed by myself.

But as I stressed at the beginning, I'm not medically qualified, just saying what I have experienced or know from herbal studies and a b-i-l who did a herbal studies degree.

This was not an immediate reaction, it took a couple of hours, my mind is boggled :scratchhead:

This was not an immediate reaction, it took a couple of hours, my mind is boggled :scratchhead:
Then as suggested by morning glory, I really think it was something else that caused the reaction. It could be anything from the airfreshner having been changed to a cleaning product change, or just made up in a much stronger concentration than normal, carpets having been cleaned etc. Outs reacted to all of these and more. One put me on A&E following a major asthma attack on top of the itching. That was simply the cleaning product being made up into a much stronger concentration than normal. After that the cleaning dept were not permitted to use anything other than what I used at home. They couldn't risk their only IT Engineer ending up in hospital again, plus several days off to recover and a week or more before I could actually get myself to and from work.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Then as suggested by morning glory, I really think it was something else that caused the reaction. It could be anything from the airfreshner having been changed to a cleaning product change, or just made up in a much stronger concentration than normal, carpets having been cleaned etc. Outs reacted to all of these and more. One put me on A&E following a major asthma attack on top of the itching. That was simply the cleaning product being made up into a much stronger concentration than normal. After that the cleaning dept were not permitted to use anything other than what I used at home. They couldn't risk their only IT Engineer ending up in hospital again, plus several days off to recover and a week or more before I could actually get myself to and from work.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Nothing in our house has changed which is I am so boggled. The tops of my feet are itchy but otherwise ok, will keep taking the hystamines and see what happens.

Nothing in our house has changed which is I am so boggled. The tops of my feet are itchy but otherwise ok, will keep taking the hystamines and see what happens.
Doesn't have to be in your house. It could have been in the car or just in the air. Were you not at the cheese club earlier?

I'm the same. They always seem to happen at home. But if I had to guess exposure would probably have been in the car. Cars are well known for concentrating ex exposure to pollens and fumes. And reactions can sometimes take hours to occur. Build up of the toxins or irritant in the clothing before you reach a critical point where you're body decides enough is enough and responds. Plus most people relax when they get home, sit down, have a drink (not necessarily alcoholic) all of which lowers the body's critical point. Defences are down etc.

There's little logic to these attacks, sadly else there would be a medical diagnosis. All I know is that I'm best off showering in a cool shower and taking an antihistamine. If I only do the latter, it is nowhere near as effective.

Say... has something changed in here? Looks different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom