The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just discovered a multitude of essences, including rum and brandy, of which I didn't know existed. My eyes nearly fell out of my head! :ohmy:

Doesn't have to be in your house. It could have been in the car or just in the air. Were you not at the cheese club earlier?

I'm the same. They always seem to happen at home. But if I had to guess exposure would probably have been in the car. Cars are well known for concentrating ex exposure to pollens and fumes. And reactions can sometimes take hours to occur. Build up of the toxins or irritant in the clothing before you reach a critical point where you're body decides enough is enough and responds. Plus most people relax when they get home, sit down, have a drink (not necessarily alcoholic) all of which lowers the body's critical point. Defences are down etc.

There's little logic to these attacks, sadly else there would be a medical diagnosis. All I know is that I'm best off showering in a cool shower and taking an antihistamine. If I only do the latter, it is nowhere near as effective.

We didn't use the car, we walked across the road. My feet were a bit itchy last night but other than that all seems to be ok, just keep taking the hystamines for a while see how it goes.

Today has been hot, sunny and windy. This evening is lovely, calm and still, the patio door is still open.

Grey and overcast here, high of 14 deg c. Just assembled another wee greenhouse for wife's chillies.

Russ

We've had rain. :woot:
Ok, only 4.1mm but we've had rain. 4.1mm dragged out over the course of yesterday and last night means it will have soaked into the ground not run off. It will actually mean I can stay to plant out my seedlings during the week. And my drinking water will have been topped up.

There's a large roof it is collected on, something that is that big, I'm guessing 20m by may be 30m will be collecting 600 liters of water for every mm of rain. 4mm will be 2,400l which may not sound a lot and some households use that in a day, but that is ¹/10th of my tank. (That's everything for inside the house). I have another 2 tanks (one open, the other closed) that collect water over smaller areas but they are for the garden and livestock. Luckily they whilst not full are very high...

Fingers crossed today brings some more.

We've had rain. :woot:
Ok, only 4.1mm but we've had rain. 4.1mm dragged out over the course of yesterday and last night means it will have soaked into the ground not run off. It will actually mean I can stay to plant out my seedlings during the week. And my drinking water will have been topped up.

There's a large roof it is collected on, something that is that big, I'm guessing 20m by may be 30m will be collecting 600 liters of water for every mm of rain. 4mm will be 2,400l which may not sound a lot and some households use that in a day, but that is ¹/10th of my tank. (That's everything for inside the house). I have another 2 tanks (one open, the other closed) that collect water over smaller areas but they are for the garden and livestock. Luckily they whilst not full are very high...

Fingers crossed today brings some more.

I've always wondered about small birds dying and ending in your water?? How do you treat it??

Russ

I've always wondered about small birds dying and ending in your water?? How do you treat it??

Russ
It's a totally enclosed system, after the guttering. The worst we get are frogs living in the overflow pipe but they are a sign of fresh good quality water.
And typically birds don't die on rooftops, more in them! And carrion eaters will remove anything dead from a roof long before out gets into the water. Plus water doesn't come from the very bottom of the tank but a few inches up so any leaf litter can settle to the bottom. Your kettle well soon let you know because it stains brown from eucalyptus very easily.

But you can get particle filters, you can treat the water with hydrogen peroxide and you can sterilize it with uv if you want to. There are companies advertising to clean out your tank.

We don't and never have done. I think the most I've ever had is a sand trap to remove gravel and leaf litter.

It's reassuring that Fox News are keeping us informed of the most important stories of the day!

"A pair of underpants that belonged to Eva Braun, the wife of Nazi leader Adolf Hitler, has been sold by a British auction house for more than $4,600. "

Just gone up to check on my chooks (8pm at night, dark for last 2 hours) and to bring down a little girl we're rather concerned about. She lost her friend whilst we were away and in the space of 6 weeks had list roughly ⅓ of her body weight.
On Saturday we got home from shopping to find her hunched over in the garden, lethargic and generally not looking good. Plus she had a filthy backside. So it was an emergency wash of and blow dry of a chook and her in for the night with us in the mud room to make sure she was totally dry (chickens are really hard to blow dry even with a hairdryer). This morning we put her in one of the spare cages in the sunshine whilst we were out swimming. She was eating happily so we ley her out with the small flock we have down her near the house (the bantams and those needing extra care) but she hasn't got the idea yet that that is her new home, so I had to go and get her from the main coop this evening...

Get there to find that the automated door is open and flashing red, not closed and flashing green. Only reason I'd gone up was to bring her down. Seems that the brand new batteries I put in just before going to the UK had failed. Usually they last me 6 months but these haven't lasted 1 month. Not impressed because I swapped out the batteries on the other automated door as well, just to ensure they didn't fail whilst we were away. Now I need new urgently and hubby is away from home from tomorrow. Closest shops selling batteries are, well, not close and neither door will take rechargeable. They are the only things in the house that don't work off rechargeable batteries... grrr (oh three smoke alarm won't either, but that's not ours. It's part of the rental package and we're not even meant to change its battery (its currently on a shelf with no battery... don't ask) ).

Had to relight the fire as well. Couple of nights of frosts now so my seedlings are all covered over and against the house to protect them.

Just gone up to check on my chooks (8pm at night, dark for last 2 hours) and to bring down a little girl we're rather concerned about. She lost her friend whilst we were away and in the space of 6 weeks had list roughly ⅓ of her body weight.
This little girl, human or chicken?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom